SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsweenc

Never thought I'd say this, but... Backsplash help needed!

jsweenc
14 years ago

Not because I am too proud or knowledgeable about splashes, but I really thought this one would be so straight forward that any simpleton (me) could figure it out.

Its turning out not to be quite that easy.

Tile is 3x6 Neri White beveled subway by Adex, and 1x6 quarter round liners. Grout is ice white.

The windows simply have the apron down to the counter. The rest of the counter splash except the range will be beadboard like the wainscot.

I want to use full tiles on each row, so that one row ends with a full tile on each end, and the next ends on either end with exactly half a tile. If I stay only under the hood, this will be six tiles each row, and the liner will still be out beyond the 36".

I have symmetry beside the range on either side for about 15", then each side does its own thing.

My inspiration, design by Berkley Vallone, on Things That Inspire

There is a head-on shot on ValloneÂs website but itÂs a flash picture and I donÂt know how to upload those. I tried to get another window to the right of the hood but couldnÂt work it out, so I donÂt have any natural boundaries.

Context

I have 12 sf of tile to work with.

Here are my ???

1. How do you mock up a backsplash? I know this is not the way most of you do it.

(Can you find the cat in this picture? Why are they so ubiquitous, and how do they know when you are taking a picture?)

2. I thought I was so smart, and my 3x6 tiles would fit perfectly under my 36" hood. Of course I didnÂt account for grout and liners. I also know this is a matter of opinion, which I am asking for now. How far out do you think I should bring it?

3. And if I bring it out past the hood, how far up? Right now I have 12 liners (those babies are pricey!), so I can cover 36" on each side but wouldn't have any to go across the top. I can get more if I decide to take it all the way up, or do a chair rail like the beadboard will have.

My original thought was to do a stainless plate for 18" up and then the tile, but since I had to get a whole box of tiles anyway, and after thinking about it both ways, I thought I'd prefer the whole thing being tile.

4. How far apart should the tiles be (i.e., how big would you make the grout lines?) And how do I do the math on that? Well, I guess thatÂs simple, just multiply the number of lines by the thickness, right?

5. Should I have it painted under the tiles? Can't think of a good reason to, but I just don't know. The painter has said he wants to be very last.

I think that's it. Tile person is scheduled for Friday. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Happy Tax Day! : )

Comments (18)