SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

HELP!! I Need Gel Stain Advice for Dining Room Table & Chairs

lynninnewmexico
15 years ago

As you all might remember, we recently got two antique mahogany chests of drawers for our dining room. We love them . . . but now our whitewashed table & chairs look even worse! I spent most of last week for replacements at the antique and consignment shops all over the place, but came up with nothing we could use. I'm finding that most of the antique or older mahogany tables and chairs are too diminutive for our dining room. I'd need to keep every leaf in them and I really dislike that look. Plus the chairs seem to not only be too delicate, but uncomfortable, too!

Sooooo, until the day I do find the perfect set, I'm going to use the set we have now. It's large, hand-carved, pine and the chairs are very comfortable.

The problem is that it's whitewashed. I've already purchased one can of the Minwax's Gel Stain in Mahogany. I need to go back to Lowes and pick up whatever else I need tomorrow. I've done a search here today for all the GelStain threads and have come up with this advice so far:

~ the table is already sealed from the whitewash, so the gel stain will not penetrate. It'll sit on the surface and needs to be sealed after.

~ from Igloochic: use a white china bristle brush

~ clean the furniture with denatured alcohol first to get off all the furniture polish, dirt and grease.

~ use nitrile/non-latex gloves

QUESTIONS:

~ I want the wood grain to show; because it already has a whitewash finish to start with, can I achieve a mahogany color just with several coats of GelStain? I'm hoping I don't have to paint it first.

~ What kind of brush do I use for the Dry Brush part?

~ When do I do the dry brush part????

~ I'm assuming that I don't rag it off, as this isn't raw or unsealed wood. Am I correct on that???

~ because we live in a very breezy mountain valley, I need to do this in my dining room, instead of outside or in our garage. I have plenty of large doors and windows I can open to keep it properly ventilated, though. We also have very low humidity out here (we average 9%), so how long do you estimate I'll have to wait between coats?

~ How long before we can use the table again?

Any other advice you can give me would be really, really appreciated as, frankly, I'm worried sick I'm going to ruin these pieces.

Anyhoo, here's a pic of one of the mahogany chests of drawers. I want to get close to this color, although not necessarily match them.

">

And here are some pics of my table and chairs now.

{{!gwi}}">

">

">

That last one is...

Comments (14)