SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

Quick, I Need Your Help with My Dining Room Table Options

KevinMP
11 years ago

Like always, I've waited until the last minute for your input. But I'm finishing up my dining room eating area, and I'm a bit torn about what to do and have to make my decision tomorrow because they will only hold my table options until 3:00 PM. My current table is too small for 6 (it works, but it's too tight really).

I have a couple of options:

(1) purchasing a mahogany Baker oval table or a cherry Ethan Allen Georgian Court table (both second hand for $1.8K and $700, respectively);

Baker table (has some marks on it, and the leaves (as always happens) are slightly different hues, and the pictures make it look like more pristine than it is really):

{{gwi:1540087}}

{{gwi:1540088}}

Ethan Allen:

{{gwi:1540089}}

(2) purchasing this awesome new Theodore Alexander table (it's yew, walnut, and mahogany) and would lighten up the room despite being wood ($2.75K);

stock photo:

{{gwi:1540090}}

actual photo from store of the floor model I'd be buying:

{{gwi:1540091}}

{{gwi:1540092}}

{{gwi:1540093}}

(3) Keeping what I have.

{{gwi:1540094}}

{{gwi:1540095}}

{{gwi:1540096}}

{{gwi:1540097}}

As always seems to be the case with me, I'm leaning towards the expensive option (# 2). I just don't think it's worth paying nearly $2K for a used table that isn't in mint condition (it's also really shiny and a little to reddish a version of mahogany for me). And as to the Ethan Allen one, I don't really want to have corner legs anymore, although the leaves it has would avoid that issue. I'd be more inclined to keep what I have, I think. If I splurge for the Theodore Alexander, then I will need new chairs eventually. I would likely get my upholstered chairs reupholstered and just buy four used wooden chairs kind of like these (which I may buy tomorrow if I can get them down to a good price)):

{{gwi:1540098}}

Thanks for your advice, as always. Now hurry up and get it in on time!

Comments (44)

• Olychick
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't see how you could do anything but #2. It is simply gorgeous.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Another vote for 2. Go with your heart! That top is a work of art. The Baker is nice but the fold-out legs when the leaves are in spoil the look and appear flimsy (even if they aren't). The Ethan Allen shouldn't even be considered!

• Related Discussions

HELP!! I Need Gel Stain Advice for Dining Room Table & Chairs

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks for all your advice. I'm so glad that I didn't just rush in and start this. From the sounds of it, I WOULD HAVE ruined them . . . :^0 . . . OMGosh! I need to run all this by DH. He's been encouraging me to call up and order a set I like that I saw in Phoenix Home & Garden magazine spread. I can't imagine ordering anything that big and expensive sight unseen, though. Hmmmmmm, there may be a weekend trip to Scottsdale in the offing ;^) In the mean time, I need to decide whether I want to paint the set a brown first and them give the Gel Stain a go or just leave it as is until I get a new set. BTW, I haven't looked into having it professionally stripped and redone. I probably should. I can't imagine a red or blue table in our dining room, though. I'll have to think about that one.
    ...See More

Need help figuring out a dining table for my Small Dining Room

Q

Comments (9)
    I have about that size dining room with walkways on all sides. In my previous house, I had a 48" square dining table that I used when we moved in. I bought a 48" round table, it was amazing the difference it made. There are only 3 of us so I just keep 3 chairs around the table on a daily basis. You could do a drop leaf. I am not sure it you could find one in a style that would go with your house. I have 2 drop leafs that I use around the house and bring out when I need more tables for company but they are both Duncan Phyfe antiques. Another option would be a round with a leaf or two that expands for family. You'll be amazed how a round fits the space better. Something about cutting off those sharp corners make it easier to maneuver through the rooms.
    ...See More

help!!! I need to choose a colour to go in my living-room /dining-room

Q

Comments (25)
    Sounds like a fireplace re-do might be a longer-term fix. In the meantime, I'd paint the mantle a dark brown, a similar colour to your end tables. It's not trim and shouldn't be white. It pops out too much in the white colour. Another idea that doesn't involve any ripping-out is to go right over the existing mantle using a mantle slipcover in wood. Here's one of many how-to's on the internet. If you stained your brick as well, you could have a whole new look. https://www.fwmadebycarli.com/2011/01/making-of-slip-covered-mantel.html
    ...See More

Need help with dining room table options.

Q

Comments (0)
    We move this weekend and I am totally overthinking my options for a new dining room table. The house is mid-century but with a modern farmhouse aesthetic. So I’m leaning towards transitional blend of things. The dining room and living room are open. The LR will have a mix of a soft white sofa with some more modern(ish) black chairs, natural wood accents, with a little grey and pops of royal blue/teal. What to do for a dining table though? Original wood floors are oak, barn doors are darker. The big window is curved and will have chairs but waiting to buy until I have dining table. Do I go with another shade of wood stain (farm table), or black, white, grey? Long rectangular, big round? Would love advice!
    ...See More
  • annac54
    11 years ago

I agree, the Alexander table is gorgeous. Don't like the fold out legs on the first, and the second one is so-so. Which one do you want to look at for years?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

DR tables are important. They are where you will have some of your fondest memories and most important events.

I would go with something really special, like the Alexander table.

However, I might try asking Stenella if they've seen tables like the one you like. At least in the NYC area, a lot of the traditional looking furniture is going pretty cheap second hand, as many of the typical second-hand buyers find it too staid, and are going more with MCM. That's why places like Stenella offer such great deals (versus new retail) IMHO.

• sumac
    11 years ago

I like what you have. Have you measured? Your current table seems to fit the space nicely and while it may be a bit crowded with six; I'm thinking there is still room to maneuver around with a house full of guests. The other tables while lovely seem like they might be too big for the space.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I also love the new table option. The used tables aren't bad, but they don't elicit the same reaction.

I do like your current table with the rug color, though. And the size fits the room so well. How much larger is the new table?

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The new table is 1' wider and 14" longer. But it has a center pedestal, which allows the chairs to fit better around and to be pushed in at the ends (they cannot be pushed in now). The foot print isn't going to be much bigger (6" on either side and 7" on either end (much of which will just cover the chairs as they currently are). At least that's how I'm seeing it.

The Baker table's goofy legs on the ends do not come out when you only use one leaf, and I don't think I'd ever use both. With one leaf, the Baker table is 48" x 74", the same size as the Theodore Alexander table.

Without leaves, the Baker table is 48" x 54". Without leaves, the Theodore Alexander table is 48" round.

Part of me likes the black with what I have, too. If only my table were bigger: it's 36" x 60" plus has the corner legs which eat into useable space.

Thanks everyone. Keep it coming.

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

No to the Georgian Court, because of the corner legs.

I like the Theodore Alexander best, but the Baker is suitable.

The sheen and edging are very nice on the Theodore Alexander. And the fact that it is round with no leaves tips the scale in its favor, as a round table that size could also be used as a foyer table, sitting room table, or breakfast room table. It's a bit more versatile, IMHO.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really like this table, but I'm not sure Stenella still has it in stock (it doesn't appear to have sold). This is identical in dimensions to the Baker table but a much better color, and it's not veneer; it's solid mahogany with silkscreening to create the banding.

Here's the table, and a picture of my master bedroom dresser in the same finish:

{{gwi:1540099}}

{{gwi:1540100}}

I just have to find out if he still has it in stock. Plus it would save me $1K off of the Theodore Alexander.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I like this one much better for your room. The coloring and being able to use it as a smaller round day to day. It still has a good bit of special interest with the inlaid border, which I think adds a lot. It also has a more comfortable feel about it, imo, because it's a little less formal. And your house is very comfortable.

• geokid
    11 years ago

The Alexander table will change the feel of the room completely. Maybe that's what you're going for, but I like the dark finish of your current table. Also, I think the finish on the Alexander might clash with your rug. The Stenella table seems a better choice.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I do like the stenella banded mahogany but the Alexander is stunning! (and I love the chairs they've paired with it)

I want to go with my heart but I think the banded mahogany will work better with the other elements in your room. I don't think you can make a bad choice between the last two.
    Love that they are both round without leaves-- a round table is so intimate.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

The Baker one looks really odd with the leaves.

The Ethan Allen is just...there. In fact, it reminds me of some end tables and a coffee table we're abusing dreadfully - the aim is to get them to the point where we can find a reason to get rid of them.

The Theodore Alexander is amazing and stunning, and I love it. But alas, I don't think it goes with your DR colors very well. The color of the table's top seems to fight especially hard with the rug and the floorboards. Also, it seems not to go very well with the curtains, drop leaf table, and elements like the stairs and white porcelain door knob; the latter have a whole different vibe if you ask me.

If you were to buy, the last one seems to fit the best. Otherwise, I like your current one the best.

If you decide against all the possible choices at Stenella's, you could try the antique shops in Lambertville.

BTW your post has reminded me about Stenella's. I haven't been there in a couple of years. It isn't far, and we have too few end tables. I don't know why I never think to go there, given the sheer quantity of furniture there.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I think I like this last one best for your room. The Alexander table is really very nice, but it may be a bit "grand" for your house.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Agreed. I'm told the Stickley is still available and I'm off to make sure it's in good shape right now.

• lkplatow
    11 years ago

I guess maybe I'm just cheap, but the prices that Stenella's charges for used furniture make me choke a little bit. I know they are high quality tables, but I'm more of a garage sale/thrifter/Craigslist queen, and I can't help but think that if a pre-owned table is what you want, with a little patience, you could find something that looks very similar (maybe even from one of the high end brands) for much less. We live only about 20 minutes away from Stenella and I see their listings on ebay all the time, but lordy, I can't even imagine paying that much.

That said, I prefer the Alexander or the last one you posted -- the first two aren't special enough to justify their price, IMO. (In fact, I'm sure I see the twin of that Ethan Allen table in looks, if not quality, at at least 3 or 4 garage sales a year.) And of course, there is a downside to my approach -- sure, I save money, but we've lived here for 10 years now and I still have several temporary "that will work til I find what I really want" pieces and my house doesn't match the vision I have in my head. So there are definite advantages to just buying what you want and being done and not always perpetually on the hunt to replace that "good enough for now" thing.

Good luck! I can't wait to see what you choose!

This post was edited by lkplatow on Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 11:17

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

I agree with Pal that the Alex is a bit grand. The one you showed last is so understated & beautiful! I love that it is a pedestal. Whenever possible, a pedestal is the way to go for dining imo, & a round shape is friendlier than squares, (oval is my second choice).

Maybe you can use your current rectangle, which is handsome, but too casual, as a desk? It reminds me of my dh's desk.

I like my oval sitting in the square of the rug. (My table is very ho-hum...nothing close in quality to your options!).
    {{gwi:1540101}}

What chairs will you be using? How do you like your rug in the room? (I think it is perfect!)

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

From a purely "overall looks" perspective, the last would look the best in your dining room. (Besides, then you can send the Alexander to me...Hugs.) I don't care for the Ethan Allen. The Baker would be good, also.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

As much as I love the Alexander table, I think that last one would work best for your space and I like it much better than the top two. I love that you can keep it round most of the time and add a leaf when you will have six for dinner. Pedestal tables are always nice when you entertain as well-no worrying about anyone sitting near a leg. Hope it was wonderful when you went to see it!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I vote unreservedly for the last one. The Alexander table will be overwhelming in the room, and the extra foot of width will mean that your guests will have to work to get in and out of their chairs, particularly on the fireplace side.

I think the round table will look great in the room...you have all those beautifully proportioned rectangles there, and I think it cries out for a lovely circular surface like that one. It will also feel much more welcoming, and make traveling around the room feel more natural.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Real time updates. Here it is. Waiting for them to set it up.

It looks almost flawless.

{{gwi:1540102}}

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

I'm late in voting, but I too like the last choice the best. The Alexander table is beautiful but maybe a bit busy and formal for your space. I like the simplicity and darker finish of the last one best.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Lucky last minute find and good savings. I was looking forward to seeing how the Alexander would look great in your dining room.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I tested it out with one if the leaves. I'll likely keep it "round" most of the time but I need to get it measured for glass first. They also knocked an extra $250 off. It was a really good deal (still expensive but not for what it is).

{{gwi:1540103}}

{{gwi:1540104}}

{{gwi:1540106}}

{{gwi:1540108}}

• yborgal
    11 years ago

I love the table you have chosen, but I have a question.

How stable is it with the extensions inserted if a guest sitting at the head of the table leans on the table top?

That looks like a lot of table on the ends that is not supported by a leg.

• decordummy_gw
    11 years ago

I too love the one you have chosen. I just wanted to add that you have exquisite taste, I love every pic that I've seen of your home.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Love what you've selected and love your space as a whole. You do have excellent taste.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

The table looks like it belongs there.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Congrats! This table is gorgeous and seems perfect for your space.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mona, it's very stable only because these tables are built like Fort Knox (it's solid mahogany throughout). But when you add the second leaf, you have to put down the extra legs (just like the Baker table above). I cannot imagine using both leaves because then it'd be nearly 100" long. But with one leaf, which is how I'll often use it, you don't need the extra legs (just like the Theodore Alexander one above).

Here it is without the leaf:

{{gwi:1540109}}

{{gwi:1540110}}

{{gwi:1540111}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I am swooning! I love it in that room in its round state! Just out of curiosity (and because we flip-flopped our dining and living rooms because the dining room is small and I am wondering if maybe we should go back), what are the dimensions of your room?

You have the most wonderful spaces and you have certainly created an absolutely marvelous home! The new table is just another perfect touch.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. I really lucked out with this find, especially because Stickley doesn't make it anymore. It's hard to believe that someone would have taken such good care of something 20 years old. To buy this new today would have been at least $4,250.

Anyhow, the usable floor space (from the hearth to the opposite wall and from the wall where the door is to the edge of the stairs (you cannot block the walkway to the stairs) is about 12.5' x 10.5'. These houses are 15' wide, but you lose a lot of space with fireplaces, stairwells, and built-ins...

The table's not actually round. It's 48" x 54" with two 20" leaves. I didn't want you to be mislead! And because it's on brass castors, it's super easy to move around.

• katrina_ellen
    11 years ago

Getting in here late, but I do have to say I liked the color coordination with your original table and chairs, but I think the new table adds more interest and dimension to the room. The round shape looks great in there. The color and style coordinate well. Whats not to love!

• crl_
    11 years ago

That's just lovely!

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And, Stinky, that Theodore Alexander would look great in your dining room with your existing chairs and buffet if you ever decide to switch out (I only say that kiddingly because the wood tones you have are perfect for it, not because I think you need to). Your rug is also very nice...

This post was edited by KevinMP on Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 22:25

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Wonderful choice! Something about the dark grain lines in the mahogany seems to speak to the dark color in the rug. I think this new table is even better than the other three combined.

Your dining room is about the size of ours and it is such a challenge to find a table that works. I am working with a $125 "just for now" set I got off Craigslist, but hope to get a real set in the next year or 2 (I am working my way around the house, dining room will be the last room I really work on).

Congratulations on a beautiful choice"

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's what my old set was: a "just for now" set that lasted nearly 3 years. The chairs were like $80 a pair at JC Penney (had to put them together myself) and the table was $100 at the JC Penney outlet (which no longer exists by me, but used to have great low cost (but not necessarily great quality) furniture. All solid wood. I'll just donate it so that someone else can get good use out of it.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Kevin the table is so pretty in your dining room! So pretty.

I must say it's really weird to see that rug in another house! (But it's really neat to see it in such a great place!).

Thanks for your kind words & table suggestion.

And... Of course you think my rug is *nice* you silly goose...it's identical to YOUR rug, LOL! (I think it looks amazing in your house! Enjoy!).

• peegee
    11 years ago

Kevin, that table is magical in your setting; love how the lighter banding appears to pick up lighter tones in the rug, and the overall richness of the color is reflected in the brickwork. Going out on a limb here, but....Is it ok to say the only element that seems to fight the table is the mirror's frame? You didn't ask so I hope you don't mind...to my eye, the frame, although really nice, and one that worked perfectly with the former table, seems too heavy and busy for the new more delicate and refined one -(Penny- who ducks and covers head)

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're definitely right. I've already decided that the mirror has to go. It's 8 years old. I spent most of the afternoon trying to find a new one. No success. I could repaint the frame (wouldn't deal with the style of it, however), or just put it in another room. I need something with a simpler frame in either gold or wood tone. If the mirrors at Stenella weren't so outrageously expensive, I would've bought one there.

They had a couple at Homegoods that were fake bamboo, but they were too small or too over the top. I like the height of the existing mirror for reflecting light and breaking up some of the dark blue walls.

• yborgal
    11 years ago

Kevin, I didn't realize there were extra legs. It truly is a perfect piece for your room and you were so lucky to find it. Karma, maybe?

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Perfect. I agree that it's better than the other 3 combined!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Looks beautiful! You're lucky your hunt went so quickly and so well. Looking forward to seeing the new mirror mix in.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

In a word, gorgeous! You did good and the table looks great in your home.