SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Condo Concern

chisue
16 years ago

Hawaii is always a tad behind the mainland with any RE trend. DH and I talked about selling our condo there last year but decided to hold.

Something has come up that I had not considered. What happens if condo owners can't pay their association fees?

Our complex is 320 units on 23 acres on Maui; one and two BR units. The majority of units are vacation rentals.

Currently 30 units are on the market at prices about 10% below the peak of early 2007 -- which is still more than a 100% appreciation for us. I have never seen so many units up for sale. During the 'boom' 20 was the most. There was considerable flipping. I know of one foreclosure on a unit this February.

I'm also concerned about our rental future, which has been 86%. Looking at oil costs, airlines folding and cutting flights to Hawaii, fewer Americans with vacation plans. (Only 16% of those surveyed plan a summer vacation -- HUGE drop.) Recession may be global. We've seen fewer Americans and more Canadians renting for the last 12 mos.

Welcome any information or experience about 'how many for sale signs are too many'.

Comments (21)