SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindabarbara_gw

Just some thought: current design trends & upholstery concern

lindabarbara
14 years ago

I was thinking a lot about this subject lately, especially after reading through numerous decorating blogs and magazines. There is a current trend to decorate in neutral fabrics and designs with little or no embellishments. The once frilly shabby chic look seems to be modified and pared down; that is, the sofas seems to be constructed in simple lines and upholstered or slip covered in linen, canvas and burlap--all in neutral colors.

The walls seems to be pale and neutral; the kitchens use natural elements such as stone counters. Stainless steel stools, where once mostly wood were used, are now the current favorites for kitchen islands. The accessories are white stoneware and baskets, again with a natural presence.

This is just an observation of mine and I do love the look, however, I don't know if I could live with the lack of color. Now I realize we all make our own choices and we don't have to live with what seems to be the most current or popular, but this brings to my attention a little problem that I have been wrestling with.

I have a small condo in Maine--I don't think I'm too far from My3dogs. I purchased a tailored, comfortable Ethan Allen sofa and love seat, but I had it upholstered in a floral pattern--something I have never done before. I wanted something different and something that looked "cottagey" for this condo.

I fear the floral design is starting to "get to me..." It's very pretty, but I don't think it's totally me. I'm now thinking of purchasing slipcovers to cover the chairs to give me a change.

I know this is a lengthly email, but I'm trying to concisely tie in a current decorating trend observation with my indecision as to what to do with my condo.

First of all, thanks for listening and secondly, I would welcome your thoughts. I appreciate your good sense more than you know.

Comments (17)