SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecookie

How did you justify selling the current home to build a new one?

ILoveCookie
11 years ago

We are first-time homeowners, and have stayed in the current house for a little over 2 years.

When we bought it, everything looked perfect to us. The house is 3600 sqft, only 7 years old, in a wooded development. It has an 1-acre front & back yard, with great privacy. It also has really nice custom pool + deck + outdoor kitchen + four-season sunroom, etc. It is an impressive house, has everything we wanted, and was priced right.

Now, after living in it for a while, we realize it's not as great as we thought would be. Firstly, we don't use the pool much (maybe 7 times a year max). But it costs a lot to run and maintain. So we realize we really don't need a pool after all. Also, the outdoor living area is so large that we cannot use or appreciate it much (we are private people and rarely have any parties). Then, even though the house has an open floor plan, due to the way it's constructed (stick built), it has many walls that I wish to get rid of (but I cannot). There are also so many rooms that it doesn't feel cozy.. I guess we don't need such a big house.

I wish to sell the house, move to a rental, buy some land, and then build a small timber frame home (perhaps 2000-2500 sqft) with a small enclosed porch. However, my husband is not willing to move, and he has many good reasons. Firstly, we've already done a lot of improvement work on the house, e.g. replaced builder grade carpet with hardwood floor, added a beefy solar system, installed multi-room speaker system, etc. We may not be able to recoup the cost if we sell. We also spent lots of time and money on buying expensive oriental rugs and traditional furniture pieces that suit the style of the house (which is very traditional). If we sell the house, we'd need to sell most of the furniture too, as they won't suit a rustic timber frame house. But it's going to be tough to sell used furniture for a good price, even if they look new.

Anyway, my husband thinks moving is a huge pain, and he wouldn't want to do it, unless totally necessary (like when we retire to a different place in 30 years), or unless we can sell it for like 20% more than what we paid originally. After all, the house is a very nice one. He thinks we should prioritize having kids (we do plan to have the first kid in 1-2 years).

So, I am curious, how did you justify selling your house and building a new one? I read that many of you sold before building, while your kids were still young in this process.

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 16:02

Comments (28)