SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baylorbear

Tub vs. Shower/Resale Value

baylorbear
12 years ago

We currently have a tub/shower combo in our master bath that needs to be replaced. I want to remove the tub and replace it with a really nice shower, but I'm concerned about future buyers. We plan to move/build within the next couple of years.

If we had a big soaking tub, I would replace it, but it's just a standard size tub - not anything special. There is a tub in our second bathroom.

Should we replace the tub/shower or just put in a shower?

Thanks for your opinions and advice!

Comments (45)

• Northlut
    12 years ago

I can't put a dollar amount on it, but I think a bath tub is an expected feature in a master bathroom. Not having one would eliminate some potential buyers. Having an amazing shower might bring in some buyers (it would have to be amazing, not just "nice"), but I personally doubt it would be enough to offset those lost.

Generally I am a fan of doing remodels that you like, without much concern for what potential buyers will want (within reason). I view my house as something to live in and enjoy first and foremost, rather than an investment vehicle. But if you know for sure you're going to be selling soon, the decision might be a bit different.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

How many bedrooms?

Folks buying s house with little kids often want tub, nut just showers.

Would it be marketed as a 'starter' house to young marrieds?

If you know a friendly RE agent, talk with them because it is very market driven (as in the market of possible buyers).

• Related Discussions

Tub/Shower Glass Enclosure vs Curtain

Q

Comments (9)
    Weedyacres, where did you find that? We just returned from a trip to France, where we saw a similar device: a glass panel that extends from the top of the tub to a point above the shower and fastened to the wall on a swivel. The panel with swivel mechanism is approximately 60-65 inches tall and 32" wide (I didn't have a measuring tape), which is enough to keep water off the floor. A gasket at the bottom of the panel makes a good seal with the top edge of the tub so that water does not leak onto the floor. It appeared that the glass was treated in some fashion because as it dried there was absolutely no streaking, despite the hard water. It is efficient, looks better and cleaner than a shower curtain. Now I want to know where to buy one for our bathroom remodel.
    ...See More

Tub v.s. Shower

Q

Comments (5)
    I believe that one potential drawback is that according to code a tub can have a 1 1/2" drain, whereas a shower requires a 2" drain, which can make the process more complicated than simply removing the tub and installing a shower in it place. The drain and vent lines may have to be replaced all the way to the main stack.
    ...See More

Resale value if removing only bathtub and replacing with shower

Q

Comments (27)
    I was going to suggest the same as juliekcmo. Rip out the tub, cap off unused plumbing so a tub can easily be put back in. Don't get one of those big solid shower units, use tile and keep plenty of extra (and grout!) 'just in case'. You're going to have to think about a shower door... that's actually a bigger decision. Do you want to spend the money on a nice frameless one (would appeal to buyer that doesn't mind not having a tub) or do you just use a curtain? (would appeal to someone that's going to put in a tub-less tile to repair). Ripping out the bottom of the shower and plopping down a tub won't be a deal breaker if a prospective buyer loves the house in every other way. I wouldn't offer an allowance right away unless they asked for it or I would use it in a counter offer. Your realtor will give you feedback-it might be necessary to offer it right off the bat.
    ...See More

How many bathtubs vs shower only bathrooms are ideal in a home?

Q

Comments (7)
    As a parent with young kids I like having the hall bath have the only tub so even when guest are staying I can still bathe my kids. So for resale a young family will not mind not having a tub/ shower combo in master suites, and will probably prefer a walk in shower only to that set up but having a family bath tub would most likely be more convenient. I have a master with a walk in only shower, a guest/powder room with a very small, 3x3 walk in shower and a kids/ hall bath with a tub/shower combo so I may be biased.
    ...See More
  • camlan
    12 years ago

Is there another bathroom in the house which has a tub? If so, I'd think you'd be okay in having just a very nice shower in the master bath.

Lots of people want a tub in the house even if they take showers 99.9% of the time. Tubs are useful for bathing children or dogs, handwashing large things like quilts, holding beer and ice during big parties, all sorts of things.

I'd buy a house with just a shower in the master bath, but I'd want a tub in one of the other bathrooms.

• User
    12 years ago

As long as you have room for a nice big shower and there's another tub in the home, it could work and be just fine for resale. However, this doesn't mean a long narrow shower just exactly the size of the tub. It means a true master sized shower. At minimum, if you do a shower only, you want it 36"x48". Or if you want to use the whole 60" length of the tub, you want a 42" width with a regular and hand held shower at opposite ends and maybe even a rain head. If you have the room (and funds) to do that without impacting the clearances needed by the toilet and vanity, then fine. If not, then you'd definitely be hurting the resale of the home.

• stolenidentity
    12 years ago

I vote for the tub. I prefer a bath over a shower, and I don't want to take my bath in the guest bathroom. And if you do decide to put just a shower, make it a really nice one.

• jane__ny
    12 years ago

I would put in the shower. Forget the tub. Most people take a shower before work, not baths.

We just saw a house today, which we loved but it only had a jetted tub in the Master. We know we would have to tear it out and put in a shower. I mentioned it to the LA at the Open House, and he said the majority of buyers said the same thing. He shook his head and said the master bath was a drawback to the house selling.

Put in the shower.

Jane

• baylorbear
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your help! You've given me many things to think about!

Our house is 30 years old and 1700 sq. ft. It has three bedrooms and two baths, and is definitely what I would call a 'starter home'.

We bought it 8 years ago, and since then have completely remodeled the kitchen, replaced the roof/gutters, replaced all interior doors and floors, repainted the interior/exterior, replaced vanities in both bathrooms, etc. We will leave this house in much better shape than when we purchased it, and in my opinion, the next buyers will be pretty lucky! ;-)

Our tub/shower backs up to our closet, so we could use this as an opportunity to make some layout changes if we replace it with a shower. GreenDesigns, thanks for your advice and measurement information!

My BIL is a realtor and I will make sure to ask his opinion, as well as the contractors that are coming by to give estimates.

Thanks again!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

The local competition in the same price range is often the driver for improvements.

• notto
    12 years ago

I would put in a tub/shower combo.
    The tub being acrylic, and NICE tilework walls around it. Spice it up with a couple of extra showerheads. This should cover both basis. Someone who wants a pretty shower, and a tub for bathing.

Cost-wise it should be less than just a tiled shower.

Resale will depend on your type of a buyer. Who do you see buying your home?

I like to have an option of showering or using the tub on a cold day....or soaking if I were to get hurt....young mothers with hemorrhoids (after childbirth). I'm just throwing it out there. Nobody ever thinks that they need a tub, or a bedroom on the first floor UNTIL they get sick, hurt or old.

• stolenidentity
    12 years ago

Um, I totally agree with the tub/shower option. I did not realize when I chose the tub that a shower was not included in there already.

• bethohio3
    12 years ago

Our master bath only has a shower. It's a very nice one--36" x 62", double shower head, attractive tiles.

In order to put a tub in, we'd have had to shrink both the shower and the closet, which we decided not to do. We debated this while building and I talked to lots of people--some of whom wouldn't buy a house with a tub in the master bath, and many who said they would, because they never use the whirlpool tub they have.

We do have a hot tub in the backyard, and a tub in the lower level and one upstairs (none on the main floor).

*We've* never missed having a tub on the first floor and I don't think we ever will. Of course, we don't know if that will make the house hard to sell, but it wouldn't be hard to sell a house with a master bath tub to us!

--Beth

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

I LOVE soaking in a tub, so it would be a must-have for us!

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

I always shower before work, but my husband often bathes, and I like the option of taking a bath after a hard day. I also find a tub useful for all the multiple purposes camlan mentioned. We definitely fit the niche of starter home buyers, so I'd consider keeping a tub/shower combo if I were you. Some people dislike showers-only, some people dislike tubs-only...it seems to me that fewer have an objection to the tub/shower combo.

Of course, if you really, really want the shower-only, you might want to go for it just in case you don't move after all.

• User
    12 years ago

We removed a sunken "garden tub" with a low-curb shower in the master bath. Filled it in with concrete! There is a tub/shower in the second bathroom.

Found out from the contractor that he's been yanking out tubs and filling in those 1980s "Roman baths" or "garden tubs" all over town.

It's not hurting resale value in our area.

• sas95
    12 years ago

We took out the tub/shower combo in our master bath and put in a 4'x6' shower. We have a tub in our second bath. Like lazygardens, our contractor said he has been getting rid of tubs in master baths right and left.

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

We took the whirlpool soaker tub out of our bathroom a couple years ago and replaced with 30"x60" low-curb shower too. I love it, and wish we had done it right when we bought the house.

We do have a tub in the main bathroom. I don't see it as an issue as long as there is another tub available.

• njannrosen
    11 years ago

I removed the tub from the main bathroom which my son used and replaced it with a beautiful shower. We just had a home built and did the same thing. We redid our master bedroom bath and kept the tub but made a much larger shower area. We got one of those bubble spa tubs which takes a minimum amount of space.

We just sold our house and never got any bad feedback, in fact just the opposite, everyone loves the bathrooms.

I think you need to have one tub in the house, but I would rather have a large shower in the master if I had to pick.

• dnjk86
    8 years ago

I think that if you are planning to sell within the next few years it would be best to leave the option of a tub/shower in place. If the buyer wants just a shower, then they will likely not have an issue with having to make the change. People like and expect options. Most don't expect a large, luxurious shower (only) even if it is what they want.

• Annegriet
    8 years ago

I think a really, really nice luxury shower in the master bath would be better as long as you have a second tub somewhere else in the house.

• tepelus
    8 years ago

This thread is three years old. I would think they would have had it figured out by now.

And yes, having a tub would be nice for holding ice and beer. Priorities. lol!

• jrb451
    8 years ago

Yes, the thread was started 3 years ago but the topic is still relevant. We're going through a similar decision process; taking out a jetted tub w/shower and going to shower only in our master. Major differences are that this is out "forever" home and there's not a tub in the other bath; it just has a shower.

• c9pilot
    8 years ago

Strictly for resale, here in Florida, the master bath should have a shower (not just a tub), but there should be a tub somewhere (2nd bathroom is fine). So a master = shower only and 2nd = tub/shower will have no problem reselling. The jetted or soaking tub in the master (in addition to the shower, but not a shower/tub combo) would be an upgrade.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I was just going to post exactly what c9pilot said. I'm in FL too and was told that as long as we have a bath somewhere in the home, we don't need a second bath. For us, we decided to put the tub along with a shower in our master, and upstairs will be just a shower.

• tcufrog
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think if one is planning to resell within 5 years then they need to consult with a realtor familiar with the area. The answer to this question will vary from neighborhood to neighborhood.

That being said, we're in the process of designing a home. There won't be a tub in the master bath but there will be capped off plumbing and a spot to add a tub should a future homeowner wish to. I don't take baths and would rather use the space for linen storage. There isn't room for an adequate size linen closet in the bathroom so I plan to buy an armoire or dresser for storing linens in that area. There will be a bathtub upstairs in the boys' bathroom even though they take showers instead of baths. I figure that future homeowners will like to have a tub for bathing kids so that was the most logical place to put one for future resale.

• handmethathammer
    8 years ago

It seems the trends are big, luxurious showers in the master baths here. Sometimes there is a separate tub. I would find the shower/tub combo an inconvenience.

• jrb451
    8 years ago

Why worry if it is your "forever home"? Oh, wait, that's another thread.

• driftwoodandmarble
    8 years ago

I realize this thread is old, but like recent posters the issue is still relevant, and that is what made me read through the comments. We have a summer home on the market (2 weeks now) with two full baths which we remodeled in 2010 removing both tubs and replacing with large walk in showers with upper spray head plus hand held. We've had one open house so far with about 20 visitors and a couple private showings in the 2 weeks its been on. Not one person mentioned "no tub in house" as a con. The second bathroom (kids) could be converted back to fit a tub in the future if necessary. It is large enough for a parent to place a infant tub inside with a stool and has a hand held sprayer. For older babies you could actually fit a small inflatable bath inside also. My kids were all showering at age 2 with my help for rinsing hair even in our main home with tub. I guess it all depends on personal preference, shower size/options and adding a hand held sprayer. Im curious to hear if anyone in my situation will find this as a deal breaker.

• jrb451
    8 years ago

We met with our plumber yesterday to finalize plans on replacing our only remaining tub with a nice, tiled shower and asked him this same question. He said that it may be but why worry since we weren't ever planning on moving. I think in your case, the only turn offs would be for people that really wanted a tub (and there are some) and didn't want to go through the hassle of a re-model and those with small children that can't see or are unwilling to employ the viable work arounds that you've used with your small children.

I'm guessing more and more people are doing what you've done.

• driftwoodandmarble
    8 years ago

jrb451 You are right- I'm sure there will be someone that will overlook other wonderful features because of the $2000 changeover to a tub. But there may be others who for example won't live in a home with the master on the 1st floor, or a 2 car under garage. Maybe they will love the fact you can take 150 steps to a quiet family beach or have complete privacy in the huge yard, or love the circular paver drive and overlook no tub.

My point is a home can never appeal to *everyone* so do what you love, and if you find yourself in the position of selling then expect to hear negatives and positives of what *they* will or won't accept. I loved many things about the house when we bought it, but hated the tiny tub/shower combo in master. So I switched it out. Wasn't a deal breaker for me. My builder said he is constantly removing these combo tub/showers and replacing with walk in showers on remodels. My realtor said maybe 1 out of 500 would ever state this as their deal breaker. I hope she is right!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

As long as there is another tub in another room, I vote for a shower. I'd love a walk in shower.

• User
    8 years ago

"As long as there is another tub in another room, I vote for a shower. I'd love a walk in shower."

I believe this hits the nail on the head! I believe that any home that has a family as a target should have a tub somewhere in the house. Even without children, many of us periodically need or enjoy a good soak. (In my case, with Epsom Salts. lol)

• dnjk86
    8 years ago

I just put in a walk in shower in place of a tub. I added body massage/jets and a rainshower. I plan on staying a while so wanted to suit it to our needs. If I were planning on selling I probably would have left the tub/shower in, but since I'm not, it was a non-issue. I will be installing a deep soaker tub in another location in the house for my son who has gotten too tall for a standard tub. He enjoys long baths after hours of soccer, basketball, etc.

By the way Tepelus, although this thread is three years old, the issue of a tub vs. shower is an ongoing issue for many homeowners so comments and suggestions are still pertinent. I just purchased a new home and this thread was helpful in my decision-making.

• fishymom
    8 years ago

We remodeled our second bath, replacing the tub/shower combo with a walk in shower. It was a safety issue for my elderly father, so it was a necessary change for us. Although we removed the only tub in the house, it was a non-issue when we sold the house 2 yrs ago, not one agent reported it as a problem. The house sold quickly and the young couple who bought the home was starting a family and were totally unconcerned with the lack of a tub.

• tepelus
    8 years ago

You guys, I meant to bring up the age because if anyone goes on to address the OP, then what are the chances they may or may not still be around to see your posts? Yes, the topic is still relevant, so go on discussing as you may, but others new to the topic may want to know that the OP may not read their response.

• User
    8 years ago

I don't think anyone thinks that the OP is still interested in getting advice on a remodel that occurred three years ago.

That ship has sailed.

• veronsilveradesign
    8 years ago

I am building a home as we speak... and of course there was an option for a Large soaking tub and separate shower. I really just weighed the pros and cons for my lifestyle... I went with the large shower with the seat in it... Honestly, sad to say, but I never have time to just soak... so I went with what worked for me. My children have a tub in their bathroom...

• PRO
    Blue Stage Group - Well-being Design
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Interested in opinions on whether or not it is suitable for resale to have shower only in 2nd full bath and separate tub and shower in master, meaning the only tub is in master bath. Considering remodel of 2nd bath to remove tub shower combo and replace with shower only. This tub has never been used in 15 years. Is it okay to have the only tub in the master?

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

I would much rather have the only tub in the 2nd bath. Accessible for children. That's for resale. If you have no plans to move, it should not matter. But for resale purposes, leave a tub in the 2nd bath.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Generally as long as you have 1 tub somewhere, you're ok. However like sushi said, if you're in an area with young families, I think you're better off with the tub in the guest bath where the children are more likely to be using it.

If like me, you're in an area where the average age is retired, then you'd be fine because the second bath is more likely to be used by visiting guests. We are putting the one tub in our master.

• plan2remodel
    7 years ago

seabees,

I'm in the same situation. I have a separate tub and shower in the master bathroom. The hallway bathroom has a tub / shower combination and I'd like to replace it with a shower only. What did you decide?

• midcenturymodernlove
    7 years ago

I disagree that a tub is important in the master bath.

I'd rather have a nice shower any day, and most people would. So long as there is a bathtub in the house somewhere for little kids, should the buyer have any, this is sufficient. It won't hurt resale at all, in my view.

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

I have 3 kids and will say I prefer the tub/shower combo to be the bathroom outside of the master bedroom. Shower is fine in the master for us. Inlaws pulled out their nice large shower with bench seat and put in one of those walk in tubs and say they regret that decision everyday.

• NewEnglandgal
    7 years ago

We just redid two of our three bathrooms, one being the master. We had an outdated jet tub and put in a huge shower, 6 ft long with two sink vanity. We have a full bath with shower/tub and another shower stall all tile. Most people I asked said they'd rather have the huge shower in the master as long as there was a tub elsewhere in the home. I also think showers are easier for the elderly to step into.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Unless I'm in total irrational love with a house to the point I'm ready to remodel right away etc-I'm going to pass on a house that doesn't have a tub, and especially in the master. I have specific concerns that make having a tub a necessity for me. I use it every day.

Together with this, I realize that most of population don't have my concerns. Hey, I didn't have them myself ten years ago)) Some things don't come to mind until we encounter them. Yet, sometimes they do happen.

In any case, I'd be wary to get rid of all tubs in a house. It definitely hurts the resale. I can think of many many occasions when a tub can be very useful, or become very useful, to people who hadn't used or preferred it before.