SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctychick_gw

DIY idea for concealing hanging flat screen?

ctychick
13 years ago

This would be for my living room - semi-formal, a little more than occasional adult use, tv not regularly, but for when I host large family gatherings. I do Thanksgiving, and I want people to spread out in different rooms comfortably and still watch the game. Plus, my father-in-law ultimately has a golf match on at every family event (don't get me started on THAT one!). So... I want the tv gracefully hidden, but accessible for occasional use. Not interested in the static dvd "artwork" or the expensive services out there that create and install. Strictly DIY here.

Here's what I envision. Does this sound do-able?

I was thinking about hanging a very thin flat screen, and building a basic wood frame around it, just deep enough to contain the depth of the TV with bit of clearance. Then, I would attach a track to sides of the frame, on which a larger framed piece of artwork could slide down over it when not in use. I would have to somehow secure the frame in place in it's "up" position as well.

Any suggestions would be great, particularly on specific hardware to look for at Home Depot. For example, does a workable track system exist? I am thinking about something like what is used for drawers, but I know that's not exactly what I would need.

Thanks so much for indulging me! I would love to be able to pull this off!

Debbie

Comments (7)