SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annachosaknj6b

how far up and out should the hood be?

13 years ago

I'm trying to finalize the hood design for our kitchen reno. I'm planning on using a hood insert (am leaning towards Ventahood but recommendations for others are most welcome!). It will be surrounded by a drywall frame to be painted the same color as the surrounding walls and have a shelf that will run the length and then wrap around the sides and then the shelves will continue along the wall to either side.

My range is a ~40" Lacanche Cluny with around 70K BTU, so I was planning to get the 42" insert with 1200 cfm capacity. How far out does it need to come to be effective? While I want it somewhat forward to ventilate the front burners, I don't want to bump my head on it while I'm cooking. I'm 5'6" and DH is 5'8". Our oldest is about 6' or so. I know it sounds silly but with some of the decorative hoods I see my first thought is that I would always be smacking my head against it when I lean in to peer at something on a back burner.

I know that I could get a wider one with more cfm and move it up a bit (say to 36" above the cooktop) but then anything on the shelf would be hard to reach. Is there a happy medium? What say the experts? (We have been living without any kitchen exhaust for years and having adequate ventilation is one of the most exciting things that I'm looking forward to!)

Comments (16)