SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
belfastbound_gw

Put House on market THEN do upgrades?

BelfastBound
10 years ago

Spring selling here in Boston is brisk below my price point yet stagnant where I sit. 2 of my closets comps left over from last year are in the opposite of a bidding war, one lowering their price, the other reacting by lowering their price even lower than that.

Both of these houses are "snappier" and smaller than mine but they get extra square footage by having finished basements (bar, media room, exercise area) so in MLS we look equal. I would be the only 3500 sf house in my town on an acre if a buyer cares about that.

To be competitive with them I need to dig up and replace driveway, refinish kitchen floors, put down 10 yards of mulch (takes weeks), paint a 3 story foyer due to one small settling crack (ouch!), put a floor in the bonus room and put down oak treads on a stairway we never bothered to finish.

Should I put house on the market while doing the updates to not miss a potential buyer in the spring or wait to complete (mid June) with the added benefit of having those 2 comps possibly off the market? Thanks to all who take the time to help.

Comments (8)