SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wearybuilder

websites to help choose color palettes?

wearybuilder
15 years ago

I'm am closing in on the paint choices for the entire house (finally!)

DH happened to mention that he hopes after all of this, that these colors 'go together' ok. He needs a little reassurance (and I guess I do too) that the colors we've picked out make a complementary palette.

I stumbled upon easyrgb.com where you can post your color name, click on the brand, and then either choose to see a formula of some sort, or see a similar color in a different brand, or look at harmonies.

I think it's helping! :)

Are there any other sites that do something similar?

I'm getting excited again instead of twitching!! :0

Here is a link that might be useful: easyrgb

Comments (10)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Do you mind posting your choices here? Some of us have suffered the same agony of having to chose colors for an entire house at one time. We might be helpful.

I know there is a site that gives you some palettes, but really I don't care for them so they are not a huge help. I don't know the name of it right off the top of my head of course.

The important thing is that you don't have strong colors clashing with each other or have different colors that have different hues that are drastic.

• wearybuilder
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok...here is the plan so far.

Entry foyer, LR, kitchen (all open to each other)-SW kilim beige

DR (opens to each of the above areas on different sides)--SW hopsack

FR (downstairs finished basement, only a little natural light)-SW kilim beige

hall bath and downstairs bath--SW kilim beige

DH office--SW grassland

and these are the "undecideds"

Master bedroom and bathroom--either kilim beige OR nomadic desert OR latte....and thinking about doing some shade of light blue on the ceilings (do I dare?? :0)

LR--not sure; want to do some kind of soap suds theme

DS bedroom--want to do a blue on top half of wall and maybe a green on bottom of wall; will have a working lionel train running around the top

DD bedroom--a nice yellow...leaning toward SW optimistic yellow or glad yellow

guest bedroom--is downstairs and opens to FR, so either kilim beige or something complementary

I think I covered it all...I still haven't decided on a digital camera, sorry no pics to post.

• Related Discussions

Exterior Color Palette - help please!

Q

Comments (3)
    I am a bit confused...are you going to paint your stucco?We have a bit of stucco on our house but when I picked the color I didnt go to a paint store, the stucco already came in the color I choose. One thing I do know is pick a color a bit darker than you think, being outside the color gets washed out. I am happy with the color now I have, but wasnt quite what I had in my mind.
    ...See More

What color palette to choose to go with a chic striped couch??

Q

Comments (1)
    Duplicate post !!!! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/i-have-a-striped-velvet-couch-but-have-no-clue-what-to-do-with-it-dsvw-vd~4934366
    ...See More

Help Choosing Paint Palette

Q

Comments (4)
    Accent walls were a fad that is now thankfully over, so please don't go there. Gray walls were another awful fad that everyone slavishly followed, although they certainly have their place. I would say not in your living room, though, with the warm colors of the wood and fireplace. A creamy color would probably be the safest choice, but without knowing your style or the furniture that will be in the room it's really difficult to say. A muted light blue might be another consideration, but as stated the flooring should come first.
    ...See More

Help me choose an Exterior Paint palette.

Q

Comments (10)
    Love Kendall Charcoal and it looks fantastic on your house but my eye is going to the beige driveway. I think you are gonna want to address the staining on it and either do the driveway in more of a grey or else go with the dark blue if you keep the driveway In the warmer beige color.
    ...See More
  • brutuses
    15 years ago

wearybuilder, it seems the majority of rooms will be either beige or brown. Are you a dear friend of beige or just don't care for other colors?

If you want the different beige and tones of brown my only recommendation is to make sure there are no undertones of green, orange, etc and that all the beiges and browns are in the same family. As for the blue ceiling and brown wall, I'm not sure about that. The bravest I came to painting ceilings anything but white was painting my guest bath ceilling the same as the walls to help bring down the ceiling and paint the foyer ceiling a shade lighter than the walls.

Also, for your master bedroom and bath I think they should be another color other than beige only because there is so much beige already throughout the house.

Also, the guest bath should also be a different color than beige. Guest baths are suppose to make a statement. Because it's a small room it's your opportunity to go a little overboard.

Listen, tell me to shut up anytime. I'm just giving you my thoughts on colors.

Believe it or not I'm a monochramatic person and if you did your entire house in beige I'd be complementing you on it's beauty. However, after careful consideration for my new house I'm building, I came to the conclusion that I wanted my new house to evoke feelings in me and people who would be visiting. Different colors can do that. Also, monochramatic is very soothing and calming. Unless you want all your guests to be fallng asleep when they visit, you need to jazz things up a bit with some color. By all means paint the guest room another color besides beige.

If you could post a floor plan of your house it would help to visualize room placement and relationship to each other.

Have you played around on the Sherwin Williams color visualizer on their web site? I love it. SW's is so much better than BM's.

I'm not a fan of beige as noted in all my different colored rooms. One beige room would be plenty enough for me. LOL Have you seen the rooms in my new house? If you'd like to see what different colors I've tried, look like, I'd be glad to post them for you.

I'm no color expert, but after talking with people on this forum, seeing the many different colorrd paintd rooms, visiting on line paint store visualizers, etc., I think I came up with some pretty colors that all flow throughout my house and will hopefully evoke different feelings as people go from room to room.

Hope I've been a help and am sure you'll let me know if I have or have not, in short order. LOL

• wearybuilder
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi B!

Nope, not going to tell you to shut up! I need opinions and am not offended by your comments. :)

I understand what you are saying about the blah-ness of beige. However, I neglected to mention that the oomph factor is coming from the furniture, accessories, etc. The LR is a fairly traditional style, oak, jewel toned upholstry, red brick fireplace. FR downstairs is earth-tones and blue, oak, black wrought iron stuff here and there. All the bedrooms reflect each individual's personality and interests. DR is hopsack, oak, plantation shutters, brushed nickel. Slightly more dramatic (hopsack) while still blending a traditional style that goes with the rest of that area of the house.

I'm pretty sure it's coming together. I've had nice comments from decorators who've come in to give bids on window treatment, paint, etc. My confidence just gets a little shakey when DH questions it and wonders if it "looks right" or "oh, poor things, they tried, but missed and no one told them." Then, after I defend and point out the positives I've heard, and am on the brink of a freak out, he'll say something like "well, you know I don't have a clue and I didn't grow up in a very well decorated house (read poor things comment again from above). Don't get me wrong, I love DMIL, but, well, I guess maybe she might be a little bit on the decorating-challenged side. ;)

Anyway, sorry for the venting. Thanks for "listening," and thanks for the suggestions. I'll give everything another look "through your eyes!" :)

Are your pics posted here somewhere?

• indygo
    15 years ago

Hi wearybuilder! Kilim Beige and Grasslands are beautiful neutrals, and they look good together. Great choices. And I think a blue ceiling would be beautiful.

There's a website called colorcharts.org that shows you the closest color matches in another paint brand. I'm going to check out the site you listed. Thanks for the info!

Good luck with your new home and trust your instincts!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Weary, it sounds like you have a handle on things, why are you worried? All the beige's and browns you mentioned should go very well together. They are all pretty colors. By all means don't listen to DH. Most men are color blind, mine is no exception. I see one color and he sees something else. LOL

My photo's are around on different posts. I'll post some here for you to see. I don't have very good photo's of some of the colors because I don't know how to take very good photo's. Every one I take is a crap shoot!!!

2nd. BR - RH Silver Sage mixed by BM

{{!gwi}}

Office - BM Nantucket Gray

Ceiling BM Grecian Green Wall Tree Moss

{{gwi:1438904}}
    Guest bath - BM Yorkshire tan

href="http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/Patscats/?action=view¤t=009-1.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1438916}}

Master Bath - BM Cashmere Gray

Master Bedroom - SW Misty mixed by BM

Great room/laundry/pantry/kitchen/hall BM Rich Creme

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Just wanted to add that I love brown and beige...LOL...have you seen my house album. My guests don't fall asleep either....just ribbing you Brutuses! ;c)

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Just a few quick points.

First of all Brutuses, you are looking like a color expert there! Amazing pics.

Here are two places to see color combos. The first one has a bunch:

http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Color-Combinations-Myperfectcolor-com-s/3254.htm

Second one has one "harmony" per day, but they are often the old Martha Stewart combos from the K-Mart paint days and therefore (IMO) worth looking at.

http://www.colorcharts.org/ccorg/

Lastly, beige or brown walls with a blue ceiling can look wonderful together!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

lindy and amy I know you're just funning with me. LOL

I love neutral. As you can see I played it very safe with my colors. I can't tell you how many times I just wanted to paint the entire house beige then I kept thinking, it's time for me to take some chances. It's not like I had any furnishings or anyting to inspire me. We lost evertything in Katrina and are living on hand me downs now and are waiting to move into the new house to buy furniture, etc.

The most beautiful house I've ever seen was on an episode of Room by Room. Sherrie and Matt did a tour of a friend's home pointing out how beige and being monochramatic can be beautiful and they were so right. That house was simply gorgeous and I actually wanted to go that route but some things held me back. First I had doubts I could pull it off like that person did and have it look beautiful and not boring. Then I considered all my pets and how their pet hair would look on all beige's and whites. LOL

When WB first asked for help and said what her color choices were I thought maybe she was just afraid of color as so many people are. I used to be the most afraid. So I gave her my half ounce of expertise. HA! HA! It's because of the people on this forum that I was so brave and starting embracing colors I use to dislkie,i.e., any shade, hue or form of green. Now I'm a green nut. I know I was of absolutely no help to HB. It's OK, I enjoyed chatting with her and taking your ribbing. That's what makes his board so much fun.

• wearybuilder
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alright you guys....you're too funny! Thanks for all your help and all the good natured ribbing! :)

I feel a little bit like we've been passing notes in school...I love it! I'm glad we can all learn so much from each other!

I'm off to check out the other websites...