SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanka_gw

Trashy yard across the street;; ideas about what to do?

susanka
17 years ago

We bought our house to live in while we're building; will put it on the market next month. We didn't notice when we bought it that the house across the street has a lot of junk and trash in it. I've assumed there's nothing to do about it; our new house is only a half mile away, these people have lived in the town forever, and I don't want to make them enemies. I'm on the Architectural Commission in this small town and so far we're dealing with much worse issues than this house. They did replace their front door at Christmas, but they have shingles that are half off the roof and have been that way for 10 mos, a nonfunctioning wash machine is now in the side yard instead of by the front door where it used to be, cardboard boxes are stacked outside getting wet and still staying there, there are two cars and a trailer in their drive and next to it because they have only a single-car garage that's stuffed full, and on and on and on. Nothing actionable by the Arch.Com. at this time. Any creative ideas? We did plant trees in front of our house but they're not going to be mature enough to block the view by next month! I suppose "resistance is futile," but thought I would post just in case someone knows how to deal with this. This is the worst house on the street by far; most others are okay, and some are actually quite nice. We turned down even looking at other houses that had messy-looking yards, but somehow we totally missed it on this one.

Comments (26)