SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
champagne_gw

What do you do about sick birds in yard?

champagne
14 years ago

I know pine siskins carry salmonella and die once in a while in the yard. But it's happened several times in the last couple of weeks---4 or 5 to be exact. I flush out the bird bath 5-10 times a day and clean my feeders very well (with part clorox) frequently. If I'll be gone more than a day, I'll take the bird baths down completely.

My question for anyone out there: What do YOU do about continuing to feed with sick birds around? The people at the Birds Unlimited store say feeding them anyway is good as it helps them survive. (And that 30 percent of birds do survive a salmonella infection). But of course they're in business to sell a lot of bird food.

My fear is that feeding them helps spread it around more. Just today, for the first time, I noticed a fluffed-up chickadee at my feeder, acting just like the siskins do when they get sick. This really saddens me as the chickadees are my favorites!

Do I stop feeding them all, thinking I could be helping to spread disease, even though I'm doing everything right that I know of? Naturally this would deprive me of an extremely enjoyable hobby.

Or do I keep feeding them and watching them die in my yard? How would I even know which is the best thing to do because how would I know what's really causing their sickness?

How do other feeders of birds deal with this?

I live in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks for any replies. I'm really upset by this dilemma.

Comments (11)