SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tkln

Add on to house or leave it alone?

tkln
16 years ago

Sorry that this is a long winded question...

I live in the house I grew up with my mother. It's a 3 bed/2 bath ranch on a corner lot in NYC in a great neighborhood. I've been engaged for three years, and we've been going back and forth all that time whether we should stay in NY or move.

We completely redid 95% of the house in 2006 because, at the time, we were going to stay in the house and build a second floor for my mother as an apartment. We never built the second floor as it seemed like it was going to be too much $$ and we had doubts on how long we would occupy the house.

Now, we are leaning towards moving, but some folks we have spoken to are saying the house would be worth more if we built the second floor and stayed put for a few years til the market went back up. My only issue with this is that the second floor will be an apartment - most of the homes in our area that have been built up have cathedral ceilings and balconies, etc...I think having an apartment upstairs will severely limit our buying pool...I realize one option would be just to build an open second floor like everyone else, and that is one consideration, but that requires sharing living space with my mom, which we don't really want (but I'm sure we could suck it up for a couple of years if needed).

I prefer to move, my fiancé is a bit more conservative and would rather stay, but asides from those considerations, would building now and waiting seem like a prudent thing?? Or should we just wait til next year and put the house up for sale as originally planned??

I realize this is sort of a shot in the dark question, but I guess my brain is so muddied from overthinking that it would help to read any thoughts and advice! Thanks!

Lucy

Comments (11)