Can we legally leave her home alone? (Long, but we need answers)
18 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (28)
- 18 years ago
Related Discussions
Can we talk patios? I need help. Long with pics.
Comments (8)I can tell you what we've done, which looks like it would work for you as well, with the least amount of effort and money in materials. (Yes, we are DIYers too.) Several years ago we decided to do away with our grass because there wasn't enough of it, and 75 percent is under an oak tree where it doesn't grow well anyway. We just mulched the grass heavily to kill it out, and keep adding (pine bark) mulch every year since it tends to break down over the winter with weather. After doing this for several years, we have very few weeds. Because the mulch breaks down after while, it does need a thin surface layer once a year in the spring to keep it looking fresh. I think that would look the best since you wouldn't be adding another hard material like pavers, you wouldn't have to match anything and a natural look is always current. Your path and the landscape around it is what you really want to notice and adding another material would just distract your eye away from what makes your garden so beautiful. We also plant a container garden that goes in the area every year, and I choose brightly colored hummingbird annuals to put in the sun around our pond to feed my hummingbirds. There are things like fuchsias, ferns and gardenias in partial shade, and begonias for deep shade. It's pretty, very natural, and easy to maintain. If you wanted to dig out the grass, that would give you some depth in which to spread the mulch which would keep down the weeds beautifully, without needing any landscape fabric (which just seems to get in the way and is a big hassle to install.) Keeping it simple with just the mulch, gives you more room to ''landscape'' and putting your money into containers and maybe a fabulous fountain, makes the most sense. We've bought yards of mulch that were dumped on the driveway, and bought it in bags. After moving around mulch both ways, we actually think it's easier to put down mulch from bags without the immediacy of having to get a big pile off your driveway. When the season is over, plants go into the compost pile, and I turn my containers upside down under my cedars to live out the winter until next year. After so many years, I pretty much know how much I need now to fill them. I love my garden, and the low maintenance aspect of not having grass to mow makes me happy. You already have a beautiful garden. I don't think it will take much to tweak it to a place where you'll be happy too....See Morehow long can you leave a cat home alone
Comments (15)I agree that if your cat isn't used to traveling, leave him home. I think the longest I've left my cats for was around a little over a week, maybe 8 or 9 days - I really don't remember. We had neighbors come and check on them every day, and feed them and such. They did fine. I wouldn't make a habit of it though. There was a lady that came into the nursery I work at looking for flea control for her cat and her home. One of the things I recommended was to vacuum every day. She said she couldn't ask her neighbor to do that. Turns out the lady was a flight attendant and was only home 1 or 2 days a week - the neighbor took care of the cat the rest of the time. That, to me, is abuse. That, to me, is her neighbor's cat that just happens to live in her house. Sad. But, that's not what you're doing. Thinking of traveling with cats reminds me of the book, "The Cat Who Went to Paris." I don't remember the author's name, but it was a non-fiction account of his life with his cat, and how they went everywhere together. It's an amusing book that I recommend to cat lovers. Sally...See MoreWhat are we obligated to leave in the house?
Comments (37)Add this to the many, many threads in this forum concerning switching out or replacing objects you don't want to convey. In my last house, I replaced all the switch plate covers before we moved and was extremely glad I did. VM stopped production and I had a difficult time finding the seven more I needed to fill the living room, hallway and my office (I paid over $100 on ebay for just one!) It helped to sell empty so our buyers knew what what staying and what was going. In this instance, I'd definitely leave the mirror. The microwave & wine cooler since they fit an exact space that was built for them should be left. Or, you could ask your Realtor to find out what the buyers want. In the scheme of a real estate sale several hundred dollars for a wine cooler & microwave isn't be worth the possibility of not closing on time....See MoreTo leave alone or not to leave alone...
Comments (12)DH and I bought a house together. Several years later, my Ex and his new wife bought a house a few blocks away. Ex travels for pleasure fairly often, and when he does, our teenage son goes over there to take care of the pool and pets. One of the first trips occured during some nasty weather, so I drove our son to Ex's house for his chores. The whole way over, DS was squirming and uncomfortable. When I pulled into the driveway, he finally turned to me and said "My Dad told me not to let you into the house." It was like a slap in the face. After taking a second to adjust to the pure shock of it, I told DS that I was sure his father meant that he shouldn't let *anyone* into the house while his parents were out, and that that was a very good policy. But DS said "No, he only said you." I should point out that we had been divorced for about 8 years at that point, had always been reasonably civilized, and that I'd never done anything unethical or 'slimy' to warrant that kind of treatment. I understand he didn't want me in his house uninvited -- that goes unsaid. I don't want him in my house uninvited either, and I'd be shocked if he didn't know that. But to make the kid "the enforcer" is wrong. Just plain wrong. It tells the kid "Your other parent can't be trusted." and "You have to tell the other parent they're untrustworthy." Talk about putting a kid in the middle! If you decide to leave your daughter home alone, have a very clear policy that is understandable and doesn't single out her mother. For example, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE is allowed in the house when you're not home. Or, people you know well (such as neighbors and BioMom) are allowed inside the entryway for a few minutes, but NOT free roam of the house. (There are nosey neighbors - blame them or paranoia in general.) If you think BioMom might be a problem area, have your husband call her and diplomatically explain the policy your daughter will be following, and that you don't want her putting your daughter in a difficult position. (Then get the firesafe and ask the neighbor for help.)...See More- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESHemp, Hemp, Hooray! This Superplant May Be Legal Again in the USA
Hemp products are durable, sustainable, antibacterial and much more. Will the plant finally get the status it’s due in the States?
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGDownsizing Help: Choosing What Furniture to Leave Behind
What to take, what to buy, how to make your favorite furniture fit ... get some answers from a homeowner who scaled way down
Full Story
MOST POPULAR9 Real Ways You Can Help After a House Fire
Suggestions from someone who lost her home to fire — and experienced the staggering generosity of community
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEThe Question That Can Make You Love Your Home More
Change your relationship with your house for the better by focusing on the answer to something designers often ask
Full Story
FUN HOUZZSurvey Says: We’re Scared of Being Home Alone — and Spiders
A new Houzz survey reveals that most of us get spooked in an empty house. Find out what’s causing the heebie-jeebies
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: ‘I’m Never Leaving’ and More Houzz Quotables
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
LAUNDRY ROOMSRoom of the Day: The Laundry Room No One Wants to Leave
The Hardworking Home: Ocean views, vaulted ceilings and extensive counter and storage space make this hub a joy to work in
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES10 Bedroom Design Ideas to Please Him and Her
Blend colors and styles to create a harmonious sanctuary for two, using these examples and tips
Full Story
SMALL HOMESCan You Live a Full Life in 220 Square Feet?
Adjusting mind-sets along with furniture may be the key to happiness for tiny-home dwellers
Full Story
FEATURESHouzz Tour: A Daughter Restores Her Stunning Childhood Home
Her midcentury modern home in Ojai, California, was created in 1959 by a Case Study House designer
Full Story
barker_tx