SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tarapatina

How long is too long to leave a cat alone?

tarapatina
17 years ago

I've bee cat-sitting as a favor to a friend..... actually more as a favor to the cat, Hobie who is a lovely mature boy of about 14 yrs.. My friend has gone numerous times to Havaii and been gone for 2-3 week stretches. I visit with the cat every other day, change his litter, feed him and play with him. Usually he is an outdoor cat but stays inside when his owner is gone. I have 4 indoor cats of my own, otherwise I might consider taking Hobie into my home.

When the owner is away Hobie behaves well..... and is wonderfully affectionate to me when I visit.... although he makes it clear he wishes he could go outside.

Now my friend is buying a second home in Hawaii and hopes to spend maybe 2 months in the winter there and this leaves Hobie without her for 2 months. She said maybe she'd come home to CT. every other week. My heart bleeds for Hobie to live his last years so alone. If it were me I would make Hobie my first priority in front of Hawaii. My friend is a very loving person and I know she loves her cat... I don't know the extent of how much she is considering Hobie here.... In passing she said..... maybe she should have someone living at her house while she is away.... but she doesn't know yet what she will do and I know a part of her thinks Hobie is old and who knows if he will be alive next winter. Still feels sad to me but I can't know all the details of my friends situation and her family...... All I see is a devoted loving long time friend/cat being emotionally neglected when he is old. I may be projecting somewhat.... I am aware but still............

What do all of you out there in the world feel?

Comments (6)