SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

how long can you leave a cat home alone

vacuumfreak
17 years ago

I have a question! I spend the night with my friend who lives 2 hours away about once a week. I usually am gone for about 28 hours. I fill both sides of Jasper's food bowl up with dry food, and make sure the autowaterer is filled with fresh water before I go. I scoop the litter daily, but change it the day I leave for my friends house. I've done this since I've had him, so that's about five months now (which means he's 11 months old... boy how time flies!). I close the bedroom door, and make sure to dig his toys out from under the sofa before I go. When I get home, he is much more affecionate than normal. I will fill his food bowl up as soon as I get home, and he doesn't even go for it. He just kisses me and purrs and climbs all over me. I think he misses me as much as I him... the food obviously isn't an issue. I had considered buying an auto (gravity) feeder, but I don't believe in free feeding. Nothing has ever been destroyed or ruined, so that makes me trust him. Just wondering how long it is acceptable to leave a cat for. What do you think is safe/humane? I am going to spend a weekend next week away, but I'm taking Jasper with me. I can't be without him too long, and I know a whole weekend would be too much... if I leave Friday night and come back Monday morning, I better take him. How do I make the car trip (2 hours is a long time in a kitty carrier) easier for him? My friend loves Jasper, though doesn't have any pets of his own. He will be babysitting his mothers cat as well at that time, and the two have never met, so that will be interesting. Not the way I'd prefer to do things, but that's when my days off fall next week. The mom's cat is an older neutered male with shots... but very independent. So, I'm not worried about the transferring health issues... but what about sharing the litter box? What do you think? Thanks for any advice. Sure hope the older grouchy cat doesn't teach my sweety baby any bad habits!

Comments (15)