SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

We Think We Found Her!

Nancy in Mich
17 years ago

As some of you know, our Megan died a little over a year ago, leaving our two boydogs leaderless. Toby took over and has loved strutting his stuff and putting bigger Casey in his place. Casey lets himself be pinned by Toby , who is 2/3 his size. They have been getting along fine together and have gotten very close. They really don't need a sister, but I keep searching Petfinder. I will stop for a few weeks, then start all over again. Most recently, I even started searching for and completing applications for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels because DH has always loved their looks and personalities. We were in the running for one last week, but we seem to have lost out, though the rescue has not bothered to actually tell us so. But I think I have regained my sanity and things are looking up.

On Friday night I did one of my usual Petfinder searches and this little lady's face melted my heart. The story with her is a bit strange. She spent her whole life, FIVE YEARS in a rural shelter? What is that all about? I sent an email on Saturday morning and got a return call in the afternoon. It turns out that the "shelter" was a private enterprise by one woman who started a shelter for unwanted dogs but could not figure out how to get new homes for the dogs. Feeding and caring for them overwhelmed her, and by the time others figured out what was going on, she had become attached and was essentially a collector at that point. Liza, the rescue person who called me, said that they have been trying to get the lady to release dogs and could usually get a few each year, but this year, she lost the heat in the kennel and they were able to get 40 dogs from her. These poor dogs have never been inside, never bonded with a family. But Liza said that they are all calm and quiet dogs who have all adjusted well to their new lives. She is not aware of any of them being returned for behavior issues. Liza will bring Sabrina to see us on Friday evening, and if all goes well, she will stay and be our third dog. The weird thing is that this "rural kennel" is just outside the town my dad lives in (pop. 384). I called him and he and his wife know of the lady and will stop by and see if she is okay and let her know how well her dogs are received.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sabrina

Comments (11)