SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soccergoof

Selling Home Issues, any advice?

soccergoof
14 years ago

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on getting my house sold.

Here is some background. Last year I listed it with a realtor in May. Unfortunately I listed it while I was doing some improvements and missed out on the initial buyers seeing a finished product. I should have waited another month or so. In the month and a half after I listed it I replaced the carpet in the living and dining area with wood laminate flooring, replaced the roof, and did a number of other smaller fixes. Last November that listing expired after about 65 showings, but no offers.

Also in November I got married and my wife and I and her kids are now living with her parents and are really wanting to start building on some family land near them, but we can't until the house is sold. We listed it again in late January with a flat fee MLS listing service. Since then we have had 32 showings, but again, no offers.

Also around the time we listed it ourselves we painted all of the interior of the house, replaced the kitchen sink, the bathroom vanity and sink, the carpet in the bedrooms and hallway and did a few other minor fixes.

Now we are approaching April and we have land and house plans but a house in the wrong location. I am very nervous about missing the tax credit deadline and being stuck with the house into the later part of this year. When we listed it the first time we listed it at $174,900 with the realtor who thought that was a very reasonable price. A quick note about the neighborhood. The area I am in is considered one of the 2 most desirable in Louisville. The comps that she did supported the price of the house at the time of the listing. Also I had an appraisal done at the time of listing and the appraiser priced the house at $170,000. With a month left in the listing last year we dropped it to $169,500. When I re-listed in Jan I listed it at $164,900. Also in december I had a second appraisal done and it came in at $169,000.

A few more pieces of information. Around June/July/Aug of last year 2 houses directly across the street from me sold. Once was sold for $186,000 and one for $180,000. All of the houses on the street were cookie-cutter when they were built in the 50s, so the square footages and layouts are very similar to mine. Also a month and a half ago one down the street sold for somewhere between $165,000 and $170,000.

SO does anyone have any advice as to getting this thing sold? The house is in great shape and shows very well right now. I get lots of great comments about it when I show it. However I am not getting any offers and I can't figure out why. My wife is suggesting we drop it another 5k to try and make a sale by the end of april, but I just don't know if that will have any effect. We have talked about moving a few pieces of furniture in to stage it a little more. We have talked about dumping more money into it which is something I am loathe to do at this point.

Anyways, here is a link to the house. Any suggestions or comments would be welcome. And with this being my first post after lurking for many months let me say I appreciate the people on here and have gotten some great ideas for our new build from here, keep it up!

Thanks,

Kevin

Link:

http://www.owners.com/KY/Louisville/PBD2307/

Comments (19)