SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Any Advice? Cat behavioral issue--sigh.

7 years ago

I have two sibling cats, age 17, and one--the female--had started to eliminate (bowel movement only) on the living room rug. I am at my wits end, having tried everything I know to stop the behavior. I'm wondering if any one has advice.

Here's the context/back story: My male cat has diabetes and gets an insulin shot twice a day. It is under control but he still drinks and urinates more frequently than he used to. The female's behavior began when her sibling's diabetes was diagnosed. I have three litter boxes (3!) that are kept scrupulously clean, so that's not the issue. She still urinates in the box but defecates--sometimes not always--on the living room rug. It happens at least twice or three times a week. My vet speculates that, for unknown reasons, she dislikes the new smell of the diabetic cats eliminations because of his disease and/or insulin. It is just a speculation of course. The vet also checked her out thoroughly; it is not a health issue but a behavioral one.

As soon as I catch it, I clean the area completely with an enzyme
cleaner. It hasn't deterred her. Someone suggested laying down tin foil
so I've lived for weeks with foil covering the rug but she just moves it
and goes anyway. Someone suggested moving the litterbox to the living room but I guarantee that wouldn't help because the diabetic cat--her sibling--would use it and she'd still eliminate near it.

I have an open floor plan house, and unfortunately cannot close the door to the living room or any room on the first floor of my house. The only solution to keeping her out of the living room is to lock her day and night in the basement. I tried that for a day and simply couldn't do it: it is not only cold down there in the winter but she would have no sunshine and no human interaction. I can't possibly do that to her--it would be cruel.

I also cannot put down any other soft material in the living room because she will eliminate on it. The Christmas tree came out this week and she eliminated on the tree skirt. So up it came.

So for the last month I've been living with the rug rolled up. When guests come I roll it back out and replace the tree skirt. As soon as they go the rug gets rolled up again. It is a 8 x 12 heavy wool rug and extremely hard for me to roll up and down. And I have to live my life not being able to use my living room on a daily basis due to having the huge rug rolled up in the middle.

I've tried to give all the details here. As I said I'm at my wits end about this matter and honestly can't think of any other solution. I know there are smart people here who perhaps have some advice or have faced a similar situation. I'm all ears. . .

Comments (31)