SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sadiesmom_gw

Credit Report Help! Are we scr*#*&?

sadiesmom
16 years ago

We are FINALLY ready to buy our dream house. We are fortunate enough to live in one of the few areas of the country NOT experiencing the current downturn in the RE market (small island town north of Seattle). Things have slowed down a bit, but values are still slightly above last year.

We decided to keep our current home as a rental for at least a few years (view property, island is nearing "build-out" and we're hoping it will turn out to be a good investment). 4 weeks ago we applied for a refinance loan (to get equity for part of down payment on new property). At that time both of our credit scores were in 780-795 range--we've NEVER had a late payment, or "dings" of any sort on our credit reports. Just before closing, I get an alert message from one of the free credit reporting websites--Citibank has posted a 60 day late note on our credit report! Our scores are now 690! Yikes!

Refi, luckily, goes off without a hitch since they didn't check scores again. But, now I'm being told that we are going to have a VERY hard time qualifying for the best loans and rates, which we NEED to make this all work.

Here's what happened--do I have ANY recourse? Last October, I logged in to my Citibank account to pay my monthly balance and there was a security warning. Apparently there had been an internet security breach affecting thousands of customers and the accounts were being closed. I stopped using the card immediately and paid off the balance that day. I could still access the account summary and the pay-bill options online, but not the account detail or the previous statements. I have always gotten online statements only.

I was diligent about checking the account balance for a couple of weeks afterwards, to make sure no new charges had been posted and to make sure that there wasn't any fraudulent use of my card, because I was terrified something would happen to jeopardize our ability to buy new home this spring. (Ironic, huh?) After my account was reported to be $0 for a couple of weeks, I logically (?) figured my business relationship with Citibank was over. About two weeks after the initial notice online, I did get new Citibank cards in the mail with the usual "call this number to activate account" stickers. I cut the cards up and threw them away. Consequently, I didn't register those new cards online. I can still access my account balance online and it still says $0.

It turns out that a couple of days before I logged in to pay my bill, my DH made what turned out to be our last purchase using that account--a $60 ebay purchase that he paid for with paypal. Citibank posted THAT one purchase to a NEW account--one I did not authorize, activate or register. I had NO possible way of knowing that this new account was "active" or that it had any balance on it, and no reason to check. This is the balance they reported as being 60 days late to the credit bureaus. If I didn't register for the free credit reports, I wouldn't have known anything about this overdue bill until a collections company got ahold of it.

Any advice about what I can do? Can a credit card company open an new account without my approval, or without notifying me? Can they post a purchase I made on one account to another account? I have spent the last 3 days on the phone with Citibank reps. Basically, they are all telling me the same thing--I made the purchase and I did not pay it, so the report is accurate. I want to make an offer on a house THIS week.

I've sent two faxes to the Citibank credit dispute department asking someone to call me because I believe it is an unfair report AND I have an urgent situation. But, no one has called, and all communication with that department has to be in writing only.

Ideas?

Theresa

Comments (15)