SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mejjie

Machine quilting frustration!

mejjie
10 years ago

Hi everyone! Sorry if this is kind of long.

I have been trying to quilt for years, and have many pieced tops waiting to be quilted. I have 2 machines. One is a Kenmore from about 1985 and one is from JC Penney and is probably from the 60's or 70's.

My problem is that I cannot do straight-line quilting on either machine. I can free-motion quilt just fine on the JC Penney. I bought a walking foot that fits both machines, but it is not really made for either machine and I think that is the problem. I have made a small practice quilt sandwich and can quilt that ok. As soon as I try to quilt anything larger, even if it's just a wallhanging, the machines kind of "bog down" and I get tiny tiny stitches that are impossible to even rip out. I have tried every combination of pressure and feed dog position that I can think of and I still get the impossibly tiny stitches.

My question is should I buy a new machine? Or is there something else I can try? I did try quilting on my friends machine and did fine, so I am leaning towards a new machine. I have almost-adult daughters who sew clothing who would love to have my old machines to call their own! I suppose I could free-motion quilt everything, but I really like the look of channel quilting and don't always like the varying stitch length I get with free-motion.

What do you think?

Comments (14)