SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crafteedee

Machine quilting - 1st time

crafteedee
16 years ago

OK...is there a trick to this? I feel like I'm having to pull & shove my quilt through the machine to get it to advance. I'm using my new walking foot, but I think it can't compensate for any resistance - from me or from being draped all over the place. I'm also having difficulty staying 1/4" away from the needle. Keeps shifting on me with all the struggling. Should I increase the tension?

My quilt is not that big. (It's the Dragonfly Stack & Whack I posted earlier this year.) I'm still having difficulty maneuvering it through my machine. I have 2 quilting clips that I'm using, but finding those are clunky when I'm trying to pull the quilt through the frame. Unfortunately, my machine is not designed for quilting so the hole is normal size.

I'd like some pearls of wisdom from those that are experienced with the walking foot.

I was SO excited about my new toy & now I'm completely frustrated. I finished my 1st (w/o any puckering!) & I'm working on my 2nd hexagon. I'm beginning to think that stitching 1/4" inside the shapes might not be the brightest idea because I have to go around in circles to complete each hexagon. I am having success...just not w/o a lot of frustration.

Is this just a difficult process no matter what & I was just imagining a walk in the park?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County