SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jperiod

Help with listing wording and flyer

jperiod
17 years ago

I'm making a significant price reduction this week. In light of an earlier "freakonomics" thread (is your house beyootiful?), I'm thinking I should take the opportunity to change the MLS wording and things on the flyer outside my house.

-----------

So here's the wording on the MLS:

Wonderful lower ARCADIA home with large lot and great location, walking distance to schools. This has a cute 'Pottery Barn' look that Buyers enjoy, or can be taken to the next level. The baths have been updated, kitchen has recent face-lift and adjoins a spacious family room each with cherry wood laminate flooring. Elegant crown moldings in main living areas and all new paint in designer colors throughout home. Don't miss the large cheerful laundry room with loads of storage space. Spacious Master Bedroom with his and her closets. This home features ample storage throughout. The new Buyer will have fun dressing up the backyard, lots of space to work with.

------------

This is a 50s ranch in a hot neighborhood. It is not a total remodel, but it's not the original either. Everything has been updated at one point or another over the years. New THIS year is flooring, paint, light & plumbing fixtures, interior raised panel doors, exterior doors, bathroom vanities, and kitchen counters. It very much is "move in ready" and nicely livable for a family needing more space. But it could certainly deal with more updating and remodeling (like new kitchen cabinets, mine are from 1990). But it's very astetically pleasing until an owner gets around to remodeling room by room. Not a fixer upper, but certainly ready for someone to make their own remodel. It has good bones and a good footprint, so no additional space needs to be added (4 bed, 2 bath, living + family rooms, 2100 sf). Make sense? So how do you convey this? Are there any things that scream --eww-- or conjure images it's not? Oh, and my backyard is in need of TLC. It's as nice as it can be, but it really needs a good bulldozing. Old pool in need of refinishing, old fence in need of replacing, old concrete (too much and not enough grass).

And the flyer...When you grab flyers from houses, what do you want to see? Mine currently has 5 bullet points, some photos, and the floor plan on the back. Which photos do you most want to see? Kitchen, Family room, etc? What info do you want to know the most? Bed, bath, sf?

Thanks

Julie

Comments (14)

• sparksals
    17 years ago

I think you should eliminate the pottery barn sentence. It doesn't make sense. What if someone doesn't like the PB look? What does take to the next level mean?

========
    New THIS year is flooring, paint, light & plumbing fixtures, interior raised panel doors, exterior doors, bathroom vanities, and kitchen counters.
    ========

This info should definitely be included.

Personally, a laundry room is a make or break room when people buy a house. I would rather hear about the kitchen and baths and nothing about the LR. I would focus more on the areas you have updated and eliminate the laundry room stuff.

You have said three times in the paragraph about storage space. You can say it once and convey that the whole house is a storage haven.

I would not mention the backyard. You said yourself that it needs TLC, so why focus on the negative?

Kitchen, baths, bedrooms and living areas are all important features to mention, as well as the updates you have done. You don't only have to list the features done this year. Ditch the info about the LR because, at least for me, it is the last room that I think about when I buy a house and it's certainly not the deal breaker in the final decision to make an offer.

• User
    17 years ago

I'd get rid of the Pottery Barn reference (it would scare me off) and I absolutely would not stress the things you mention that are wrong with the place. I'd keep the statement about the things you've done. I'd also mention whether it's close to other amenities (shopping etc). You don't mention how many bedrooms/baths the house has in the ad - include that info. Is the basement finished? If so, include that. Can you tell us what is cheerful about a laundry room? Cheerful might not be the right word to use. "Cute" is another word not to use in an ad (same with quaint) - it implies smallness and probably wouldn't appeal to men. Ad's first word is "wonderful" - you don't make the home and yard sound so wonderful - don't set up a situation where a potential buyer is disappointed because the ad doesn't live up to the description. Omit wonderful, start by describing it as a range and then leave the rest of the opening sentence as is. I also agree with the over-emphasis on storage space. Inb addtion, does the house have a/c? Is there a garage?

For the flyer, I'd have pix of the exterior of the house, living room, kitchen, dinining room, master, master bath. Also include other bedrooms if they are neutral and neat enough. Skip yard photos.

As your ad now reads, there is nothing that would suggest to me that 'here's a house I HAVE to look at". Hope this is helpful.

• Related Discussions

Need help with Microsoft Word

Q

Comments (5)
    thanks for the replys, I received a reply over at MS, but I think it would take a Chinese to understand the solution. If I copy over to excel,and get them in order how do I get them back on the word program to print the avery labels? Regards, PK in La.
    ...See More

Word Game: Words From A Word PART 2

Q

Comments (150)
    Affordable ford able bale lade lad fad fade doable dare drab brad loaf foal for deaf leaf barf fade fed led lead load lead deal dole flab blade dale fab fable able lade ade fade fore rad doff And I know there are lots more, but that is enough. GLISTENING
    ...See More

Word 2003 help.....

Q

Comments (0)
    I've set up a database with close to three hundred names and addresses. I noticed that I had left an a name and address out that should be in a certain place on the list. I can't figure out how to "insert" a record into the list. I have "add new record", but there isn't any place that I can find that says to "insert" a new record. When I do the "add new record" thing, it goes to the bottom of the whole list...can someone tell me how to insert a record into this database...I've been aworkin' and athinkin' and can't seem to figure it out...help would be appreciated...
    ...See More

Please help us write our FSBO flyer

Q

Comments (9)
    I just went to an open house and I got a flyer from them....Here there example that you may want to use: 1st page: Should include address: #### address, city, state, zip code. Then a brief description of the house: EXAMPLE: Beautiful________ in truly " move in condition". This home is __ story w/hardwood, carpet etc... Formal living room and dining room w/ neutral painted walls throughout. Kitchen features include:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.The house has __ bedrooms and __ bathrooms. Master suite has spacious closet space.Finished basement is great for entertaining(or if you have a den or familyroom)Additional amenties include low maintaince lawn, 3 cable jacks,3 high spped internet jacks and a insulated garage. PRICE 2nd page : should have this info. GENERAL INFO: bedrooms:# Bathrooms:# subdivision or neighborhood: name if any PROPERTY INFO: approx. age: # style of house:-- square feet:-- lot dimension: # x # total acres: # INTERIOR INFO: attic: basement type: kitchen: fireplace if any: kitchen fixtures: total rooms: EXTERIOR INFO: porch or deck: UTILITY INFO: central a/c: what type of sewer: what type of heat: SCHOOL SYSTEM: elem. school name: middle name: high school: MISCELLANEOUS INFO: $500 FINDERS BONUS at closingfor a referral that leads...... I hope this help you in any way. Good luck and keep us posted. maria
    ...See More
  • graywings123
    17 years ago

I feel that you should say more than that the baths and kitchen have been updated and facelifted because those words don't tell me what they look like now. Remember what freakonomics says - use descriptive terms: ceramic tile, clear glass shower door, corian, etc.

In the photos, I want to see the kitchen, master bath, and family room. And I like to see what I call an "evocative" photo - such as a photo looking out the window at a tree, so that the buyer will get a sense of the serenity this house will bring.

• gardensgirl
    17 years ago

You don't mention how many beds, baths which is always important to people looking at homes.

Perhaps in the 1st sentence you can say: "Wonderful 4B/2.5Ba lower Arcadia home with lots of living space and upgrades galore." At least put in there what the home offers. Then maybe "spacious living room with cherry flooring. New in 2007 interior paint, lighting, plumbing, vanities. Great location convenient to schools, shopping and Metro" or something like that.

I would also get rid of the Pottery-Barn reference. What if someone doesn't like PB? Plus, you are selling the house, not the decor.

"Can be taken to the next level" - to me, this says this house needs work. I may be wrong but that's what I read into it.

"cheerful laundry room" - when I read that it made me smile because who would ever describe anything having to do with laundry as cheerful? ha!! I wouldn't even mention the laundry room unless it's on the main level or adjoins master suite or something like that.

"buyer will have fun dressing up the backyard" - I know my DH wouldn't. He hates yardwork and to me this says, "lots of work needed here". Rather maybe just keep it real and say "fenced backyard".

Remember, you want people to come and look at your house. The #1 thing is to interest them enough to get them to actually come to your property.

Good luck!!

• xamsx
    17 years ago

Single story, 2100 sq ft 4 bedroom, 2 bath home featuring crown molding in the main areas, a spacious family room, ample storage space and first floor (you may want to list this as "first floor" if you have a basement, otherwise, I wouldn't bother to list the laundry room at all) laundry room. New this year: flooring, paint, light & plumbing fixtures, interior raised panel doors, exterior doors, bathroom vanities, and kitchen counters.

What else is great about your home? 2-car garage? Basement? How big is the lot? Is the pool in-ground? If so, IÂd list that.

I would not list laminate flooring or Pottery Barn - not appealing to all.

I'm one that can do without the adjectives. Give me the fact ma'am, just the facts. :-)

• jperiod
    Original Author
    17 years ago

These homes don't have basements and mine only has a carport. And the original laundry rooms were outside, so people looking in this neighborhood are looking for remodels that have joined the laundry room to the main house. It's like another room, at 9 x 10 with a closet and window! My realtor said many people end up using it as a home office as well, and mine is the perfect size. And it's the most cheerful laundry room I've seen, with soft yellow walls and white accents! LOL

I do have a pool, but it's not considered a selling feature in my area, especially not an old one like mine.

Major features like # rooms, pool, parking, lot size are all listed in the bottom features of the MLS listing. This is just the additional description that the feature list doesn't cover.

So you really think the pottery barn is a no-go? It's not the furnishings, it's the actual style of the interior. Everything is in PB colors, walls, hardware, beadboard, etc. Seems like ALL the remodels these days are going for the PB look because that's what the majority of the 20 & 30 somthing crowd goes for. Mine is a large family home in a family area, so it's very unlikely a couple over 40 will buy it.

My realtor is concerned (as am I) about staying realistic in the ad and not puffing it up to something it's not. It does need some work, not right away (unless you want everything new or just so), but eventually. Same with the backyard. Things are -old- and obviously starting to wear out in the back. I've looked at so many home that describe this AWESOME house and you get there and it's a dump. :(

• xamsx
    17 years ago

Juliebatt: And the original laundry rooms were outside, so people looking in this neighborhood are looking for remodels that have joined the laundry room to the main house.

I can see it now: Indoor laundry room :-P That's very intersting about outdoor laundry rooms. I've never heard of that. What area of the country?

If your pool is above ground, I would not list it. In my old home we had an above ground pool that was 13 years old. I tore it down and filled in the hole before selling. I thought it was an eyesore not a selling feature, and it made the yard look small (that house had a large city-yard).

If you have an inground pool, what does your realtor suggest regarding listing it?

• jperiod
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We're in phoenix, so outdoor laundry is not a problem with weather, but people still rather have them inside, obviously! Keep in mind, this is a 1950s house, so it's hard to find old houses with good closets or storage. It's an inground pool. She lists it under the features, but doesn't draw attention to it. Another thing to keep in mind, the original floorplans in the neighborhood only had a living room, so my emphasis on the family room is to draw attention to the addition of space from the original 1950s house. Also, we're in the city, so everyone knows we're close to shopping, etc.

Okay, how does this re-write look:
    Prime lower Arcadia, walking distance to schools. Spacious family home on large lot. Living & family rooms, plus inside laundry. Ample closet, cabinet, and storage space thru-out, 2 bedrooms feature his and her closets. All new paint in designer colors, new interior and exterior raised panel doors, new hardware, lighting, & plumbing fixtures. 16" ceramic tile in bathrooms and laundry. Cherry wood laminate in kitchen and adjoining family room. Updated bathroom vanities and kitchen cabinets plus new kitchen countertops. Elegant crown in main living areas. Classy beadboard in master bath and kitchen. Large picture windows thru-out with beautiful views of front and back. Back yard features grass, RV gate, patio areas, diving pool, and spa.

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

I think you've given way too much information. You have to pique a buyer's curiosity to generate interest.

It seems you've typed the discription so perfectly, and left out nothing. If there were something a future buyer were wanting, and it isn't listed, it could have a negagive, rather than a positive effect. ;o)

patty_cakes

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

Can you post what is listed in the bottom features of the flyer?

I'm looking for a house, I don't even read the "fluff" I go straight to lot size, then to how many bedrooms, bathrooms and whether it has a basement or garage. I look at the photos.

I used to be friends with a realtor, she could fluff the "best" handyman special.

You've given good reason to list the landry area, as well as the larger family room. As for the designer paint, that might scare me away since using color is the newest fad.

• marvelousmarvin
    17 years ago

Since it seems this house is targeted towards younger buyers, I can understand why you wanted to emphasize Pottery Barn since that's really popular with younger buyers while older buyers may gravitate towards another look.

But, I think the problem is that you're telling people this, and not showing them. Instead of saying its a Pottery Barn look, tell people that its PB paint and PB etc...

• valtog
    17 years ago

"Mine is a large family home in a family area, so it's very unlikely a couple over 40 will buy it."

Both DH and I are *over 40*...and that's exactly what we are looking for.
    I'm sure we're not alone:)

• sue36
    17 years ago

I would eliminate the PB description. I don't think a decorating style should ever be mentioned. Houses can be redecorated, and you don't want to discourage people who dislike the PB look. Who knows, one of them might take a look at the house and think it would be perfect for them once they get rid of all those colors and overuse of brushed nickel. ;)

IMO, in the description you need to hit the most important features in case people look no futher. Square feet of house, square feet of lot (since it is larger than most, otherwise skip it), number of bedrooms and bathrooms. Anything else that is unusual (such as a full basement in an area that usually has slabs). Mentioning new paint is fine, but skip the "designer colors" thing. I don't consider PB colors to be "designer colors" anyway.

• jperiod
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks all, the flyer/listing has long been done.