SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Need help in getting cottage feel in master bedroom

sis2two
11 years ago

I came across the post from The FoxesPad to sunnycottage showing a cottage bedroom which I loved! I realized that my bedrroom as it is currently is really not me. Currently I have the following in my bedroom: gray wisp walls, all ivory bedding, a distressed white iron bed, antique black chest of drawers with stained drawers, black country style nightstands, and an oriental rug in soft gold tones with brown and a touch of the gray wisp color. Having said that what I really want to do is change up the bedding and add window treatments. I don't want to paint my wood pieces or change out the rug as it was pretty expensive.

I am willing to use wallpaper on headboard wall but have been looking and can't find anything cottagey that works with the gray wisp.

My master bath is also the gray wisp with beadboard which is why I really don't want to change wall color in bedroom. Thank you all so much.

Comments (59)

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fun2BHere-I love the idea of white gauzy curtains but have wondered since my bedding has more of an ivory background, would white work? I may just use the picture over one of the nightstands and try to find something similar for the other one. I have been hoping to come across just the right thing for over the bed, but haven't found anything yet. I love the idea of the rust color drapes for winter months. That would really warm up the space.

• loribee
    11 years ago

Creamy sheers at the windows will provide a lovely finishing touch! Such a pretty room~~

• Related Discussions

Black Toile Cottage Master Bedroom....Cameron

Q

Comments (52)
    les - Brought the tuffet up this past weekend and I love it! It always surprises me that just one piece added to a room can pull a space together so much. It is shaped liked a cushion-cut diamond - square top that angles down on the sides. I have it set on the left side of the rocker, sort of under the loon print. It doesn't crowd anything and the square shaped top works with the boxy shape of the rocker, while the curved feet mirror the curves of the handles. The stained feet make it not too matchy-matchy. Since my nightstands, headboard & chest all match, I think it's better not going overboard with more black wood! The rocker was placed there because it gives a view right out to the mountain and brook, but I will move things around as you suggested, just to see. I also like the idea of a pillow with the big button. Maybe I'll leave the tuffet black, and just cover the big button with a coordinating fabric (?) And I'd still like to get another rug for the sitting area, though I'd probably move it out in the summertime. A friend who came for dinner on Sat., who had never seen the cottage but had looked up this post, brought me a Wall Words saying as a hostess gift. She made it clear it was up to me whether I wanted to use it or not. The script is black and it reads,"Prayers Go Up, Blessings Come Down" which she thought would look good on the wall behind the bed. She said she thought the phrase worked especially nicely because the wall is angled "Up" and that coming upon this property was a real blessing. Thoughts? oceanna - I can just feel how badly you want to dress that room! I now it probably looks sparse, but if you stood in it I think you would feel differently. My aim is to have it be an uncluttered space where my eyes are drawn to the outside views and sounds. I want to appreciate the way the sun glows off the wood floors and highlights the knots and texture of it. If this were in my home here, in a city neighborhood, I would be with you(and Cher!)100%, though! And I appreciate the tips on covering an ottoman. You inspire me to give it a try doing it on my own!
    ...See More

is pink color OK for the master bedroom pink color for master bedroom

Q

Comments (25)
    Yes, I think pink is a beautiful color for a master bedroom! The trick is picking the right pink and then balancing it with other elements that are not overly feminine. I love pink and brown together, or black. When choosing a grownup ink go to the brown section in your color deck. As you move up to the lighter colors you will see what I refer to as dirty pinks. These are softer, more pleasing pinks that men can love.
    ...See More

Help with wall decor for dark walls in Cottage master bedroom

Q

Comments (2)
    I love that color, so cozy and organic. :) Your furniture is light, which helps the brightness factor ... I’d just look for art you like and use that. Maybe canvas prints, or art with light backgrounds. Green, to me, is very neutral — you could add light blue, white, cream, lighter greens, etc. I don’t like to suggest specific art because it’s a very individual thing, but ... A map of the area, like this, would be fun — A decorative mirror might be nice, too, to reflect light and color. Definitely do a search for things like ‘art for dark green walls’ ... ‘lake art’ ... etc ... lots of inspiration comes up.
    ...See More

Need help on a small addition master bedroom and master bath 19x19

Q

Comments (13)
    We're adding a slightly larger master suite (20x26) that also includes reconfiguring the original space to create a hallway entrance next to an existing hall bath. Our architect configured the space so that the new master bath abuts the existing hall bath, presumably to minimize the plumbing work etc, as in the 2nd sketch by @er612. She also aligned the new master closet with the existing space which just helps as a sound buffer. The rest of the layout was decided based on views - optimal placement of windows, strategic placement of the bathroom door, having wall space for a TV if you want that.
    ...See More
  • sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Loribee. I love the look of your home and appreciate your input. Creamy sheers sound like a great idea. I have struggled with the windows because I like the views outside and being a north facing room, I don't want to make the room any darker. Thanks again.

• emagineer
    11 years ago

Rather than a picture, I personally would add a long cottage shelf. Set your painting on it. Your room is so complete and organized. Lovely cottage style.

My windows are the same as yours and almost take up the entire wall. I used white linen curtains that are attached inside the window frame with spring loaded rods at the top and bottom. They only go 3/4 high for some privacy, but also to let the sun shine in and I like seeing the stars at night. To do this though, I had to open the bottom hem on each side for the rod to go through. Easily changed for winter and drapes could be added too.

We have a cottage style gallery. Fun to look at and maybe some additional ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Move past 1st posts...then see many ideas

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I think if you avoid the bright white sheers that are made of nylon or polyester and use ones made of linen or Indian cotton, the "white" will be more of a winter white and should work with your bedding. However, I always have to try out a sample when I'm coordinating colors. The trick will be to choose a white/ivory that looks good with both the window trim and the bedding.

• judithn
    11 years ago

The room is beautiful as it is. It needs window treatments, as others have mentioned. Some of your accessories are a little more contemporary than I associate with cottage, like the lucite ball lamp and glass lamps on night tables, but I like them and you do see these elements in urban cottage. But there's something else missing and I can't put my finger on it. The room doesn't seem cozy enough. If I were you I'd see if the window treatments are enough to make the difference -- they can really pull a room together -- and take it from there.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Ivory or cream lightweight (but voluminous) curtain panels would look great. Something with visible texture - dotted swiss, voile stripes, or something.

That picture, by itself, is too small for that wall and bed. However, if you had a collection of medium and small items (art, framed textiles, whatever) and did a small "gallery wall" effect across the whole bed and nightstand area it might look good.

You can test art placement by using paper taped to the wall. No sense poking holes in that nice paint.

A rustic shelf - as suggested above - might look great. Then you could change artwork easily.

If you are going "cottage", consider installing picture rail molding so you can hang things from it, not the walls.

• User
    11 years ago

Sis2two- I love seeing pics of your house and your design choices. Your bedroom is so pretty and relaxing and I really like your wooden doors. I agree that sheer panels, linen or cotton, would look nice in your room. You may want to spray paint your existing rods or find something lighter, similar to your bed, so that they do not stand out too much. If sheers alone look unfinished then adding woven blinds as in the link would look nice too.

Here is a link that might be useful: sheer linen blend curtains

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Other than curtains, the room needs a light floral area rug. Or two good size rugs to put at the side and end of the bed.

Cottage style wallpaper for the bed wall would be perfect. Some online wallpaper sites sell "cottage style" paper.

I also would change out the butterfly pillows for something in checks & ruffles.

More doilys on the night stands also. Some of the accessories aren't cottage so I would put those in a different room.

Enamelware vases/pitchers with silk flowers (rose colored) adds to a cottage feel.

You definitely have the beginnings of a great space!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I wanted to post again to say that I've been steeping myself in cottage design books lately and I really like the idea of updated or new cottage design which is simpler and less cluttered than country cottage and more elegant than shabby chic. Sis2two, I think that your room is a terrific example of updated cottage design. It's warm and comfortable and somewhat eclectic without being cluttered or cute.

• oasisowner
    11 years ago

I think people often confuse cottage with country, but you have done a wonderful job! I agree, add some sheer cotton or linen panels and a large picture or a group of smaller pictures over the bed and it will be perfect.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Perhaps a nice bench at the foot of the bed with little bookcase openings for storage. Something old would be perfect.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am so appreciative to all of you who have made suggestions. I was actually looking at Country Curtains this morning for drapes, and found the sheer pinch pleated sheers but they didn't have the 96" length which I need.
    I so appreciate the comments that I am kind of going in the right direction. While I do realize that my lamps are a little more modern, I like a few modern elements thrown in all my rooms, which are more along country lines.
    I love the idea of a long shelf that I can decorate with art and the like. I've even looked for some old architectural pieces, but not found the perfect thing.
    I wanted to ask you all if you think I should hang my mantel picture. I like to be able to change out pictures, but am wondering if it would look better?
    Also, do you think I need a rug or can the room do without it? If you think I need one, please FIND me one. I am not good at picking out rugs. I did find a pinwheel rug from Garnet Hill that I love, but not sure if it would go. Don't know how to post it either. Sorry!
    My last question is what kind of rod would you suggest for my curtains that I haven't found yet?
    Again thank you all for your help. You all are so sweet!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Sis2two .... I realized last night (you know those 2AM revelations) that what you are developing is "Gustavian" or "Swedish Country". Sparse decor, cool and mid-range pastel colors, natural fabrics ... it's great.

In the winter they break out the wool rag rugs and warm drapes, but summer is bare floors and gauzy stuff.

Look at this board on Pinterest:
    http://pinterest.com/maryannrizzo/swedish-design-decor/

Does that style "speak" to you?

============
    Temporary Curtains ... a twin or full flat sheet is typically 96 inches long. They make excellent temporary long drapes. Just fold over the excess at the top and clip it on. Cream solids.

Curtain rods? I think yours are fine as is, or paint them a deeper grey than the walls. Adding curtains will soften them up.

Shelf over bed? Look at ana-white.com for her instructions on making them. It's really easy. A plain wooden box with some crown molding attached, distressed a bit, or stained.

Even her "$10 ledges" would look good, with your style art.

Rug? The traditional rug, since I have decided you are going Swedish country, would be woven or braided rag rug runners by the bedsides. Just until you find your slippers.

Something like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Primitive-Tweed-Rag-Rug-Floor-Table-Runner-Fringe-Linen-/360366390705#vi-content

Look for rag rug runner on Google shopping and there are lots of them. Find something with the blue-grey of the walls or the cream/rust of the pillows mixed a lot of plain cream.

=============
    Interchangeable art. Find several pieces you like and frame them all in the same height frame, and make sure the wire to hang them is EXACTLY the same distance below the

Or, install a piece of picture rail about 6 inches below the ceiling and paint it to match the wall. Use picture rail hooks and clear fishing line (or wire with ribbon covers if you want the traditional look)

http://pinterest.com/pin/287034176220178765/ shows picture rail up close, used in a hallway or stairway. It's usually a single rail., close to the ceiling, painted to match the walls or crown molding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swedish Design and Decor

• emagineer
    11 years ago

My shelf in the bedroom is from an old fireplace surround which was found in pieces. I cut the bottom off, left the decorative supports (like shelf supports). It is similar to your fireplace.

• User
    11 years ago

I really like the way the room is shaping. You've made some nice changes and the curtains will add a lot. Personally I would use white without worrying about the off white bedding. You'll have light streaming through them anyway which will make them look whiter regardless. Also, I would replace the print of the child and dog (which seems more kitschy than cottage-y) unless it has sentimental significance.

*** Disclaimer---I have a print displayed prominently on a wall in a public room of our house that was a treasured gift and now that print has been on everything from coasters to tea towels, but I can't bring myself to replace it!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lazygardens--I love your ideas! Love the Swedish look and love the idea of the rug although I'm not able to pull it up. Tried to get on Pinterest but saw that I need an invite so have requested one. I'm so behind the times!
    I really think that is the look I'm going for and didn't realize it. Both of my grandparents were Swedish! How neat is that! You don't know how much I appreciate all of your help. It makes such a difference to get others opinions. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

emagineer- I would love to find something like what you are describing to go over my bed. Wish you'd take a picture.

kswl--I have ordered fabric swatches but am finding that so many ivories are too creamy and not white enough. Several months ago, I bought the PB Cameron drapes in ivory and they were too yellow for my liking. I may end up going with white if I can't find just the right color. And the picure, although it does have some sentimental meaning could be changed if I found something that I like better. I love old fashioned looking florals.

If anyone comes across things that they think may work, please let me know. In the meantime, I am going to try to pull up the things lazygardens has posted. Thanks again.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I really can't even expand on the excellent suggestions you've already been given, but just want to say that your room is thoroughly charming! Keep going and tweaking a bit (add those window treatments!) and you're going to have the perfect cottage bedroom!

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Oasis, I think there's a close connection between country and cottage. I combine both of them. A lot of people see country as "Americana/rustic" which Country Living magazine focussed on relentlessly in the 80's. That's when I stopped subscribing. Now they've combined the two and it's beautiful. Lot's of pastel colors combined with dark.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a shelf question. I have found some antique white shelves on Etsy and I like several of them. While I am drawn to the distreesed white ones, would that be overkill with my distressed bed? Or should I go with solid antique white? Thank you.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I agree with you, Oakley. I see a very strong connection between "cottage" and "country". Give me an English country cottage and I'm in heaven! :-)

• wolfgang80
    11 years ago

I think there's a bit too much unadorned drywall right now. You could try putting up painted 1x8 planks on the headboard wall. Another option is to mimic the board and batten look by attaching vertical 1x2s or 1x3s every 18 inches or so around the room. You could also do the board and batten look but cut it off about halfway up the walls and paint that part white, leaving the untouched areas above this grey wisp.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wolfgang80- While I think the planks would look nice on the headboard wall, I don't think we are ready to do that right now. We do have wainscoting in our master bath and I love the look of it. I am more or less just wanting to do some cosmetic changes right now that don't require much labor. I agree that we do have a lot of bare walls. The room is rather large which presents challenges in making it cozy. Personally, I love smaller bedrooms, but that's just me. Thanks for your suggestions.

• artydecor
    11 years ago

I love your bed and bedding, the mirror, your skirted chair... very nice. My suggestion would be to replace the clear glass lamps on your nightstand with metal or ceramic lamps. Solid lamps would be a visual counterpoint to your delicate, airy bed.

• bleigh
    11 years ago

Not sure if anyone made this suggestion yet, but pinch pleated (and lined) burlap drapes would be really pretty in your room. Some folks like burlap unlined, but lining it makes it look much more substantial. You could go with the white/ivory or natural burlap color. I started making them for my living and I LOVE them. I needed drapes that didn't take over the whole room, but the texture they add is wonderful.

• artydecor
    11 years ago

I just bought Ikea 'Aina' linen drapes for my bedroom, and I love them. They are unlined lightweight linen. They are simple, but fall in soft folds that add some style. They're easy, too! I think they were 98" long out of the package. They include fusible tape to shorten them if needed, but I sewed the hems instead. If you follow 'For the Love of a house', she uses them throughout her house and her latest post 'South guest bedroom' has a number of pictures where they are featured.

Here is a link that might be useful: bedroom with Ikea linen drapes

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bleigh and sonicmom-- thanks for your suggestions. I do like burlap curtains very much but am thinking linen for this room. I am looking at the linen panels from country curtains and have ordered swatches. Looked at the ikea curtains and like them. If the swatches that I have ordered don't work out, will look at those again.

I have decided to replace my rods for a couple of reasons. Am wondering as to whether to use a white rod or antique brass since I have some gold accents in my room. Thanks.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

I used white rods in my bedroom with crinkled soft white sheers around my linen blinds and I love the look since my furniture is a rubbed out white sand finish and cottage like. I love the cottage look. By the way, I love your bed!

Also what is the pretty wall color in your Master bedroom?

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lynn2006- Thanks for your suggestion on the white rod. My wall color is Gray Wisp by Benjamin Moore.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

sis2two, I think the white rod with pretty white finials will go with the molding and give an airy feeling if you do sheers. I found out that the crinkled sheers were richer looking for me, gave me some privacy if closed, were a soft white and not stark white and softened the linen Hunter Douglas Honeycomb blinds I used underneath to blacken the room at night to help me sleep. If you want linen blinds then maybe what you have now is not so bad since it goes with your bed. Maybe you should decide on the curtains first and hang them and then decide. I love the wall color. But due to your baseboard trim, door trim and crown molding white may be nice.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

JCPenney Sensations in White or Eggshell with no valence would look great. They did not have the eggshell when I bought mine and the white was a nice soft white and not stark. I found the ivory and the cream clashed with my linen blinds and the soft white made everything look nice even my ivory and cream bedding. I have Deep Cream on my walls now but I may change my wall color still since my furniture was changed to Maple in a white washed sand finish and I want a little more contrast. Your wall color is beautiful and looks great with what you now have in the room.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCPenney Sensations in White or Eggshell with no valence would look great

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Sensations Eggshell is nice also now that they replaced the Champagne. I was surprised it looked so nice. I have been recovering from Gallbladder surgery so my bedroom is a mess or I would take pictures to show you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sensations Eggshell is nice also now that they replaced the Champagne

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Sensations White is a soft white & not stark like the other curtains I had looked at. Without the valence, it really looks so nice. I have the soft white hanging on the side of linen blinds and the look is so nice since the linen clashed with my walls until I added the soft white to break out the wall color with the blinds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sensations White is a soft white & not stark

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lynn2006-- I'm a little confused. Are you saying that the eggshell color is now the champagne color. I got on the website and although it shows the eggshell color which I love by the way, you can't order the eggshell. You can order the champagne, but there is no picture of it.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

sis2two, The valence says Champagne and the former color was called Champagne and it looked like the eggshell that I loved but since my wall was that cream color, I chose the soft white. I think the eggshell is the champagne. The return policy is wonderful and if you don't like it, you bring it back to the store. They look wonderful and provide privacy for me as I am on the second floor so if I open my black-out linen honeycomb blinds all the way up and close my blinds, no one can see in from below but I can see out and all this sunshine comes in. I love the look and they have a nice feel and hang nice.

You can check out the valance color called Champagne to see if it looks the same to you.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

I think they just changed the name to Eggshell since the Champagne picture looks identical. That was my favorite but do the the line blinds I had and the cream walls, the soft-white just went better. I wish I had gone with white blinds and then I would have repainted my bedroom and when with the Champagne color.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Scarf Valence in the Champagne Color looks identical to the Eggshell

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

P.S. If you have a JCPenney near you, look for a coupon, order online and try both the soft white and the Champagne/Eggshell colors to see which looks better in your room.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks lynn2006- I do plan to go to Penneys and take a look at them. Thanks for letting me know about them.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

sist2two, I tried over 12 different sheers with no crinkles, with lace, very white, very cream, etc. and fell in love with these on the white rod for my cottage feel in my Master Bedroom. They are not cheap feeling and you can buy two panels of each and try them out at home and then decide which color or if this would be good for you or not.

• slflaherty
    11 years ago

I didn't see anyone suggest this, but I really think you need to paint the black on the side tables and dresser white. I might even go so far as to try to find some antique glass knobs to replace the pulls on the dresser.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

stephf-- while I appreciate your suggestion, I really don't want to paint the antique chest of drawers. I purchased my nightstands from Ethan Allen several months ago in order to tie in with the chest, so I don't want to paint them either. I am just going to work around them. I have purchased some accessories and two pictures for over the nightstands and am having a wreath made for over the bed. I have found an oval cotton braided rug to go at the foot of my bed and plan to put rugs on either side of the bed. I have found that a couple of antique doilies soften the nightstands. It is a
    work in process, and I am appreciative of all of the suggestions made.

• amykath
    11 years ago

I hear ya sis! Its a would be a shame to paint such a lovely piece!

I adore your bedroom! Looking forward to update and pics!

Amy

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

You have a great start! I haven't read all the posts, but think the lamps a bit too modern~shades are fine. Maybe a few more light color pillows/an arrangement of off-white roses/hanging a few white plates/a collection of small white pitchers(or a combination of white items)on the dresser/rug, maybe something floral. Definitely drapes/curtains, white or ivory. ;o)

• amykath
    11 years ago

Sis...I adore your lamps! I guess we all have different tastes or all of our rooms would look the same! I adore the airy quality of the glass bases!

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Cottage, cozy. Cozy up the room with rugs beside the bed and at the foot of the bed. Large expanses of wood need a little decor as well.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

patricia43--saw your post this afternoon. I have done quite a few changes since this post. Bought new bedding, put a cotton braided rug at the end of my bed and a rug on one side of the bed, added sheers and some pictures. I think I will post some pictures tomorrow for an update. So many people including you were nice enough to offer so many great suggestions.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

this thread was brought back to life by a spammer, whose post has been deleted by GW. Thanks GW!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    11 years ago

olychick- thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize that's what it was.

• loribee
    11 years ago

"I really like the idea of updated or new cottage design which is simpler and less cluttered than country cottage and more elegant than shabby chic. Sis2two, I think that your room is a terrific example of updated cottage design".
    Ditto! It's a wonderful example and gives us all something to think about. Just now, I'm working on trying to incorporate some MCM pieces with cottage and this is great inspiration for me. Looking forward to updated pix too, thanks, Sis!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!