SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

Rant: why buy at a store if no chairs to try?

sayde
11 years ago

We keep hearing about how brick and mortar stores are being threatened or phased out because everyone is buying online, from catalogs, or direct from the manufacturer.

A comfortable reading chair is something I really do not want to buy this way. I had seen a photo of a chair I thought would be perfect -- and was nearly ready to buy -- but it just so happened that this particular chair was on the floor at the Stickley showroom (it was a Bradington Young chair). And it was so uncomfortable! Moreover, it didn't really look like its photo. This was a really eye opening experience and convinced me that I should not buy a club or lounge chair that I had not seen in real life and actually sat in.

I have bought so many pieces -- case goods -- at Stickley over the years. But tables and chests of drawers do not have to fit your body! Now, looking for a chair, I have been all over and am dismayed at how few chairs there are on the floor -- (and how large many of the nicest of them are but that is another rant . . .) I would like to buy a Stickley chair and have even found what I think is the perfect Stickley fabric to go on the chair. But there are almost no chairs in the showroom and the sales person has thus far been unable to find any that she can bring. There are several styles in the catalog that I like and think might work but I know now that you cannot tell from photos and measurements alone.

The sales person says that they are making fewer and fewer chairs for the floor -- they are all built to order and there is almost no inventory.

So -- what good is a brick and mortar store if, when you go to the store, you are shown pictures in a catalog and it is suggested you order from the photos? I have been talking to this sales person for weeks and so far -- nothing. She suggested I try sitting on the cutaway model that happens to be one of the styles I am interested in.

Is anyone else experience a similar frustration?

Comments (36)