SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeichler_gw

Crown Moulding? Opinions?

jeichler
17 years ago

We are thinking of selling our house within the next year and are thinking of things to do to it to make it more marketable.

I guess that you would call our house a contemporary ranch house. It is approximately 3,100 square feet. It was built in the late seventies and retains the fabulous step down living room. There are vaulted ceilings in the living room, dining room, family room, and master bedroom.

Previous owners have done some updating. The house has a newer kitchen with maple cabinets, green granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. The bathrooms are pretty original with sort of burnt pumpkin tile in the master.

Our agent is suggesting updates, like tiling the bathrooms that are currently carpeted, painting inside and out, etc.

One item I do question is the installation of crown mouldings. The realtor says that "everyone" is installing them and "everybody" wants them. She suggests that they be installed in all non-vaulted rooms. I don't feel that crown mouldings are appropriate for the house, as the house really does not have all that much ornamentation. There is no trim around the windows, for example.

So, what do you folks think? Does crown moulding say "quality" to you or do you think it would look like something installed to make the house "seem" more homey, but add little to the house's perceived value?

I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences on this.

Comments (24)

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

I love crown moulding and have it in my current home, however I don't think I'd put it in just to sell the home. I don't think you'll get any more for the home whether or not it has crown moulding.

• emb7
    17 years ago

I love it, but in the right home. I agree with you it will look odd in a 70s ranch. I do think you should tile the bathrooms though! Crown molding is easy enough to add if I really want it in a house.

• Related Discussions

Master bedroom update/progress! Help picking wallpaper! PICS!

Q

Comments (31)
    nutmegxo- I have the embroidered coverlet and a duvet cover whiched I alternate using for my main covering and the euro shams also in the embroidered pattern. My dust ruffle is the satin in champagne, but I will honestly tell you, I did not like the way the dust ruffles are attached. They are attached by a strange type of straight pin which were very difficult to attach. Not only that but the part that was attached to the box spring, tore in several places. The dust ruffles themselves are beautiful, but they way they are attached is not a good idea. Even velcrow would be better. The wallpaper that I was looking at was F&B and the minimum order is 3 rolls, making the price around 900.00. Way too much for one wall! I love yours and may start looking again. It really does make a statement! I love the direction you are going and the color is great!
    ...See More

Please help with joining crown molding with kitchen cabinet crown

Q

Comments (5)
    You've got several problems. If you buy more of the same crown from your cabinet company, you'll still have to deal with the gap above the corner cabinet. If you raise the existing crown to the ceiling, it's very unlikely you'd find unpainted crown that matches it's size and profile, plus you'd then have to deal with a gap between the cabinets and the bottom of the crown. Here's what I would do. Choose the new crown mold you want for the rest of the room and measure it's height (how far down from the ceiling it comes). Make a mark on the wall at that height, then use a level to transfer that height to the stained crown and mark it. Then, trace the old, existing crown's profile onto the wall with a pencil. Now you have a mark where the bottom of the new crown will intersect the old crown, and another mark where the old crown will have to be narrowed to fit underneath the new. Carefully remove the stained crown from the corner cabinet. Next, build a frame above the corner cabinet that's the same height as the new crown, and that extends beyond the cabinet to the point at which the new crown will intersect the old. Now, install the new, painted crown around the kitchen and across the new soffit. Last, run the old crown through a table saw and cut it down so that it fits underneath the new crown. With me? This is a tough one to visualize.
    ...See More

Crown molding butting up to cabinets with crown molding not sure what

Q

Comments (4)
    You use the kitchen crown around the whole room. Or you use the room crown on the cabinets. No cheesy plinth blocks and 2 different crowns.
    ...See More

Kitchen cabinet crown molding, ceiling molding, different sizes?

Q

Comments (5)
    When I had my kitchen renovated a few years ago, I was in a bit of a dilemma: to add additional crown molding to the rest of the kitchen or not. I had simple Shaker style cabinets installed and decided to not have additional crown molding installed in my kitchen. I like the more minimalist look❣️
    ...See More
  • Fori
    17 years ago

It'd be wrong in your house, especially since you'd not put it in the "fancy" rooms because they're already vaulted!

• kaleberg
    17 years ago

This is such an unwise suggestion that it would make me question the agent's judgement. Painting is always a good idea, and it's probably necessary to get rid of the bathroom carpeting (it strikes some buyers as unclean as well as dated), but that's it. One thing you might do to reassure yourself is to attend some openhouses to check out other houses for sale.

• xamsx
    17 years ago

Replace bathroom carpeting with tile - absolutely

Add crown molding for value - doubtful

• quip
    17 years ago

I agree that crown molding does not seem right for your home. Window casings would be a more appropriate addition, but I doubt it would be cost effective for resale.

Tiling the bathroom floors makes sense. The pumpkin tile does not sound appealing; perhaps you should price professional tile painting.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

I think its right for any home if the look you're going for on the inside is tradtional timeless elegance. If you have a stucco ranch or something like that well that's on the outside then you live on the inside. I don't believe I've ever heard of someone not liking crown moulding. They're even using it in my parents condo now that it is being redecorated and that isn't exactly traditional architecture.

It's one more thing to add to that list of features. Do it in a couple of rooms like the dining room and MBR, it won't break the bank.

• jeff147
    17 years ago

I did crown molding in living/dining and kitchen because it just needed something to set-off the new hardwood. In the kitchen it actually saved me $4000 in replacement cabinets because once I put it up, the existing cabinets just needed painting to make the kitchen POP! I also did a more ornate baseboard to match. It's actually very cheap and if you use a compressor/nail gun/miter saw/caulking goes up easy (not fast, but easy). There is also a tool to use called "Ogee" something that I do recommend; it holds the molding in a more logical manner when cutting. Outside corners are quite easy but insides are time consuming (I recommend coping) WHICH is why I would not do it again to increase a home's value just to sell. To me time is more important than money when flipping/selling. If you miss a spring market because your agent told you to put up crown molding, then any value it added will be taken away.

• civilmind
    17 years ago

Hi, this is my first post to this forum although I've been reading/lurking for a while. I'm neither a realtor nor a flipper. I'm merely a homeowner who has considered selling.

I would add crown molding only if the house needed architectural interest. It would be the wow-factor in an otherwise ho-hum house. Your house sounds like it has outstanding features, such as the sunken living room and vaulted ceilings. I agree with others that you shoud get rid of bathroom carpet. I wouldn't worry about painting unless the house needs it or if your current colors schemes are so wild that it would turn off alot of buyers.

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

Depends on the crown molding IMO. We added some to the diningroom in an early 60's ranch. The molding is maybe 3 inches, and has a design, but nothing like the tooth crown, which needs the right house.

We'll be putting crown in our master bedroom. I was looking at something maybe 2 1/2 to 3 inches with maybe a rope design. We're also thinking something plain since it's to hide the seam from the ceiling / wall.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

What does your competition have?

• jeichler
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I was hoping that they way I worded my question did not influence your responses.

Our competition is rather mixed. The houses around us were built in the late 70s and early 80s. What is for sale is either original, where a buyer would probably want to make renovations, or already renovated.

Renovated homes typically include all the high end stuff people expect in higher end homes. The renovated homes have been substantially altered to erase the 70s and 80's look by adding traditional elements to the house. They add imitation stone to the exterior, ornate mouldings to the interior, updated kitchens with granite counters and stainless steel appliances, stone tiles in the bathrooms, etc.

We don't have the money or the interest to make drastic changes to our house, but we do want it to look presentable. The interior and exterior do need paint.

I do fear spending any money in the bathrooms because most people (I think) would want to rip out the old cabinets and countertops and showers and so forth and completely redo them. I am thinking that money spent tiling the bathroom floors would be wasted as a buyer would want to come in and rip everything out and remodel the bathrooms. But, maybe the tile floors would just make the house more saleable? Maybe with the tile floors the buyers would think that the bathrooms are servicable and could live with them a while until they decide to renovate?

In looking at some model homes not far from us, they are going for the clean minimal look, with no window frames and no crown moulding. With what I see on television, on HGTV shows and the backgrounds in commercials, I keep thinking that the minimal look is what is "in" now. Maybe not?

Anyway, please forgive my rambling. I do appreciate everyone's responses.

• melbat
    17 years ago

If you think tiling will be overkill for your bath,consider vinyl. It will give the bath a clean fresh look.
    In a smaller bath you should be able to find a remnant that can be used- cheaper!

• garysgirl03
    17 years ago

I agree with the previous poster who suggested vinyl tile for the bathrooms if you think that a buyer is likely to redo them. I would see carpeting in the bathroom as something that would have to be removed immediately, whereas vinyl would be fine until we had the money/time/inclination to remodel.

I like crown moulding, but it wouldn't be a factor for me in deciding whether or not to buy a house. Plus, I have to agree that it could look out of place in a more "modern" style house.

• chisue
    17 years ago

What's under the bathroom carpets? Just subflooring? By all means lay some vinyl and remove the carpeting.

I always ask this about older ranches so please don't be offended: Are there teardowns in your neighborhood? Maybe your lot is worth more as a lot? Our ranch on a quarter acre was nicely updated -- even put new light fixtures in the baths when we were preparing to move. Turned out the buyers, who paid top dollar for our area, did a teardown. (This may not apply if you are in California with the odd tax structure.)

• clg7067
    17 years ago

I like contemporary, therefore I'd say no, in general, to the crown molding. Since the house is a 70's ranch, I'd definitely say no.

• Gina_W
    17 years ago

I vote no as well. I'm in 70s contemporary too. It doesn't cry out for moulding. The money would be better spent elsewhere.

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

I always ask this about older ranches so please don't be offended: Are there teardowns in your neighborhood? Maybe your lot is worth more as a lot? Our ranch on a quarter acre was nicely updated -- even put new light fixtures in the baths when we were preparing to move. Turned out the buyers, who paid top dollar for our area, did a teardown. (This may not apply if you are in California with the odd tax structure.)

Seeing a lot of this, which is pretty sad. Perfectly good houses getting torn down. Not everyone wants a McMansion, ranchers are perfect for someone disabled or the elderly, even young people to start a family. With my bad back, I couldn't imagine having to walk up steps or be responsible to clean it.

• chisue
    17 years ago

roselvr -- Not only did our old ranch become a teardown, WE did a teardown on a 1950's ranch too. Now, we have a lovely all-new single floor home with electrical, plumbing, HVAC to code. We have tight windows and great insulation. Our doorways are 36" wide without thresholds. The baths are large -- one is wheelchair adapted.

We had replaced all the windows in our old home and had insulation blown in, but there was nothing we could do about the electrical and plumbing, nor could we create wide halls and doorways and big bathrooms out of what was there.

We can't assume that every teardown is replaced by an inferior, or even huge, home. I have no objection to obsolete structures with no historic or architectural importance being replaced by homes that fit the lot.

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

In that case, I wouldn't have a problem with a ranch tear down. Where I'm from, it's not the case. Everyone has to own bigger & better.

• jperiod
    17 years ago

"I do fear spending any money in the bathrooms because most people (I think) would want to rip out the old cabinets and countertops and showers and so forth and completely redo them. I am thinking that money spent tiling the bathroom floors would be wasted as a buyer would want to come in and rip everything out and remodel the bathrooms. But, maybe the tile floors would just make the house more saleable? Maybe with the tile floors the buyers would think that the bathrooms are servicable and could live with them a while until they decide to renovate?"

This was exactly our situation. But the bathrooms were SO bad, that we easily justified the cheap tile (installed ourselves) and $50 craig's list vanity find. Add paint and it was SO much better. We didn't touch the showers, thankfully the colors were back in though they do have cracks/age and need replacing at some point soon. Figured we'd let the next poeple do that part in case they gut the whole bathroom. The tile floor is appealing and neutral enough to keep (even laid it under the vanity if they rip that out). So like someone suggested, at the very least do the vinyl so it's livable until someone wants to upgrade. Carpet in bathrooms is just wrong on so many levels and SCREAMS "YUCK!"

We also have a popular 50s ranch, but no vaulted ceilings (and no window casements either). We put basic 3" crown with a single ogee in the two main living areas and it made the rooms! We still have the plain original baseboards and it looks great. Nearly everyone loves crown and I get quite excited when I see crown in other houses. Might not make/break a sale, but adds a wow factor they might remember or another "bonus" about your house over the others. Would look weird in the vaulted rooms though, so if those are your main living areas, only other room I'd consider is the master if it needs some pizzaz. Don't bother adding it in the extra bedrooms or bathrooms. Paid a handyman $35/hour to install and he had it in in a few hours.

• jeichler
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks again, everyone, for your suggestions.

juliebatt, we are now thinking that it would be a good idea to install a neutral tile in the bathrooms, and new vanities while we are at it. The only old items would then be the tile in the bathtub/shower areas. They are in good condition, but dated looking.

As our area is considered to be "prestigious", I don't think vinyl would be appropriate. Our house, in its present state is valued at about $1.4M. We are hoping with a few cosmetic improvements, we can bump that figure up a bit.

I have to agree that the carpet in the bathrooms is yucky. But, that seemed to be the thing to do in the late seventies/early eighties. Many of the houses around us have carpet in the bathrooms.

I don't think that our ranch would be a tear-down. It is only 28 years old, and a decent size, at least for Northern California, at 3100 square feet. There are restrictions on the property that limit the height of the house to a one story.

I think we will skip the crown mouldings. All the special rooms (living room, dining room, family room, master bedroom) where it might be installed have vaulted ceilings and would look odd with crown moulding. I guess I was looking for some confirmation from others.

Thank again, everyone.

• jamesdesign
    16 years ago

Crown molding in your ranch style home? YES! Crown molding does not have to be ornate, like a dentil or rope, just a very simple 3" cove molding will make any room outstanding. It just gives a "finished" appearance and is most certainly appropriate in your style home AND esp. given your area and your homes estimated value, potential buyers will EXPECT to see it. Go simple and you'll be impressed with how great it will look. I am a design professional and this is what I would tell you if you were my client. Also, by all means get rid of the carpeting in the bath. Do not use vinyl. Try large (24") travertine set in either a diamond shape pattern (will make the room look bigger) or in the Versailles pattern (rectangular tiles in various sizes--look up the pattern online). Keep it neutral and paint the room in an earthy, neutral color. Keep any baseboard, window, or other trim a crisp white (not a bright white, try Benjamin Moore's "Mayonnaise" for a terrific white). Good luck!

• mfbenson
    16 years ago

If you paint, and especially if you have the ceilings painted, you may not need crown moulding. If you skip paintng the ceiling the room may need moulding. At least, that's been my experience. Really, it all comes down to the other homes on the market in your price range - how nice are they, and how long have they been on the market?