SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Prices pegged to county appraisals and pricing foreclosures?

marys1000
12 years ago

I know the credo that prices are done by market appraisals but not so much around here. Market may figure in a bit somewhere somehow but mostly they hover around the county tax appraisal. If its recently been remodeled or it has some special sought after feature it will be priced somewhere above. If its pretty tired it will probably be a bit below.

A few years ago I had a realtor tell me that prices normally ran 10-15% above county appraisal. I watched and often enough that was true.

Then the market depreciation finally hit this 'we didn't have a bubble to break' depressed midwestern city and for awhile people were trying to get the 'old' price and there were a lot of houses on the market for a long time and then finally some went into foreclosure as the market declined. Now as appreciations have come down prices are again peg +/- close to the appraisal. (All this at least in the 100-250 range anyway)

What I don't understand is how this works with foreclosures. I mean I suppose they are basically just another house on the market.

So for example you check the county auditor website a house goes back to the bank for the 'price' of say 100,000. The county appraises it at 163,000 and its listed as a 'needs work sold as is' for 150,000 by a realty company.

Who is deciding on that price? The realtor? The owning bank (one of these is a Fannie Mae property).

Is this any indication that the price is more negotiable?

Comments (21)