SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20154839

Kitchen layout feedback please

User
14 years ago

Here is my current working plan:

&{{gwi:1727611}}&

I built this with an old version of visio that I found lying around the house, so there are some limitations to this drawing.

Here is a tour, starting in the top center of the picture, by the dishwasher.

I have an L shaped kitchen, but one leg of the L is all windows, and therefore has no overhead cabinets, and all my "work triangle" overhead storage is a very small cabinet run.

In my current kitchen, my dishwasher is on the other side of the sink. When the dishwasher door is open, it blocks access to the lower cabinets on the adjoining leg of the L, blocks most of the access to my long "workspace" countertop, and makes access to the overhead cabinets difficult (but I can stretch and get there as I am 6 feet tall!). I HATE my current location of the dishwasher, hence it is banished to the other side of the sink. I left the sink where it was, as it will keep plumbing easier, and I don't have an unlimited budget.

Moving the dishwasher also allows me to put in a lazy susan at the corner and reclaim some currently unused lower storage space. I am not planning the diagonal corner that visio wanted to put in, just a regular L shaped cabinet. The remaining bit of lower space on that first leg of the L is going to be for a built in garbage can.

Continuing along to the second leg of the L. My current kitchen has a cabinet run and a wall oven. I have changed this to a cabinet run and a range. For the lower cabinets, on one side of the range are drawers to silverware, flippers, etc. On the other, a vertical storage cabinet for cookie sheets, etc. For my upper cabinets, I will have 39 inch tall cabinets installed at ceiling height to get the most vertical storage space possible, since I have no horizontal upper space available to speak of. The cabinets to the left of the range will have my dishes, and to the right, glasses. I imagine a water-in-the-door fridge, so glasses should be handy to that side of the kitchen.

I am very tempted to put in a ductless/recirculating range hood, to claim a bit more space above the range hood for storage.

Moving to the longer wall across from the L, I have switched the locations of my pantry and fridge. The pantry is 3 feet wide, to make sure the fridge opens out to a wider amount of floor space in the center of the kitchen. I am only somewhat satisfied with the pantry, as my current (full) pantry is 4 feet wide. But, my current fridge is in a tight squeeze between a doorway and the side of the wall oven, and it needs some more space in front of it for easy access.

Next comes the fridge.

On the other side of the fridge, I have put a run of cabinets. Currently, I have wall cabinets and a desk area there. I am getting rid of the seating along that wall and putting in base cabinets to the doorway, a counter, and wall cabinets instead. The wall cabinet next to the fridge will have a microwave shelf for nuking leftovers.

I have left a bit of wall space without cabinets at the very end to post a calendar and a phone. Or, I could center the blank wall space and put the calendar and phone in the middle for symmetry.

This counter will be a clutter magnet -- I expect it to be used for kids' projects and such, rather than as a cooking space. Currently, my kitchen desk has a model of an Egyptian dig. It is often covered with drying artworks, etc. that we have to get out of the way to eat. Alas, you can change the kitchen, but not the family that lives there.

In the center, I have an island. My current island is perpendicular to the sink and has a 36 inch downdraft cooktop with about 9 inches of counter space on the sides and maybe 12 to the rear. The counter space is not long enough to be usable, and the walking space around it feels "too tight", even without having the dishwasher door opening into it (as it does now).

The new island is parallel to the sink, has 48 inches of clearance to the legs of the L, and 36 inch clearance to the hall at the bottom of the picture. Visio wouldn't let me resize the cabinets, but if I could have, I would have drawn the island at 42 inches wide to leave more space towards the table. It is about 30 inches deep. It has a plain top, where I can set the groceries when I walk in the door. I don't have the space for a complete "two cook" kitchen, but I see the island as a second workspace for a spouse or child to help out in the kitchen.

Under the island, I have the left half sketched as drawers opening towards the dishwasher. The drawers will hold kitchen towels, bread, coffee, and filters. The toaster and coffee maker will be on the counter over the dishwasher. They are there today. I do not have a drawer deep enough for a loaf of bread near there now, and the sun beating in that wall of windows makes the bread go bad quickly.

The right half of the island will have doors opening towards the range, with pots and pans stored behind.

Finally, the kitchen table is sketched at it's current size, location, and seating arrangement. One thing to note is that the left side of the table also functions as a hallway to the sliding doors to the deck, and gets lots of traffic when the weather is nice. The sliding door to the deck opens on the left.

Thanks for reading all this and for any suggestions for improvement.

I'm also looking for software reviews for sub-100 dollar kitchen design software.

Comments (9)