SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okpokesfan

finetuning my kitchen layout--feedback please

okpokesfan
12 years ago

Ok, with your help I've decided the basic layout of my kitchen (island shape). Now I just have to finalize where I want my appliances.

For those who don't know, we are building a new house. A family of four, two kids ages 8 and 10. I'm the primary cook, although my daughter does help me bake sometimes.

All aise widths are 48"

At first I wanted my sink on the run where the fridge is now. Then I got to thinking about a previous kitchen I had where the dishwasher was right below the cabinets I stored the dishes in---major pain! that run can be up to 8 feet but no longer so that only left 2 1/2 feet on each side of the sink.

So I moved the sink to the wall with the cooktop and moved the fridge to the other run. I know there isn't much room in between the sink and cooktop. However, right now I only have 2 feet and it's actually pretty nice when filling/dumping pots.

I have considered putting the sink and dishwasher in the island but have a couple of reservations:

1) Although the dishes could be stored in base drawers, I couldn't get all my dishes and plates and cups in base drawers without taking up most of my room. I'm not sure I like the idea of having to cross the aisle with some of them.

2) Currently I have a 10 foot island with no sink--just uninterrupted prep space--- and I love it.

3) Let's just be honest here. I'm not the neatest person and don't always empty the dishwasher immediately, etc. so sometimes I have dirty dishes in the sink (and around the sink). i'm not sure I want that on the island.

I've thought about moving the cooktop to the run where the fridge is now. However, at it's current location, the cooktop (and pretty hood I plan on having) will be the focal point from the great room (which is on the seating side of the island.)

So many choices to make! I would appreciate your comments and expertise!

Comments (14)