SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

Long Galley Adobe Kitchen - Layout Feedback Please

lalithar
12 years ago

Dear Kitchen Gurus,

Please help review our kitchen plans and advice on changes that will make it work better. We are finally getting geared up to remodel our kitchen. It has been over a year that I have been following this forum (since we purchased the house). It is a whole house remodel project and kitchen remodel is part of that. This is our forever house and we want to get it right.

Our Sweeby Test:

My kitchen feels cool and is a well-lit place for 2-3 people to work together. It is efficiently organized to cut down time for everyday tasks of prepping, cooking, cleanup, breakfasts, and lunch packing, as well as easy to work in, to make meals for a crowd. It looks timeless with clean lines and a simple palette that belongs with the simple, strong earthen look of my adobe brick ranch house. My backsplash is simple and blends with the adobe brick walls. My countertops have a well loved gleam and easy to see cleanliness. My equipment is accessible, looks clean and well used. There are interesting and useful items that add character and have a story to share. Fruits and vegetables add color. My family and friends find it welcoming for casual visits, hanging out, lending a hand and cooking together for impromptu get-togethers, special occasions, making jams, etc. We love lazy Sunday mornings in our sunny kitchen table with the paper, eating pancakes/eggs and looking out the window at the redwood trees and flowers. My kitchen has an easy flow to the courtyard for enjoying picnic dinners on summer evenings, or a quiet early morning cup of coffee, and to the veggie garden for fresh herbs and vegetables.

About our house:

We have an Adobe brick house in Northern California that stays wonderfully cool in summer and cozy in the winter. A lot of exposed brick walls and use of wood (redwood and some pine) that is structural - beams, ceilings etc. It is very seamless indoor/ outdoor living as the house is wrapped around a courtyard with seating etc. There are doors leading to the courtyard from both ends of the kitchen. We invariably eat out in nice weather. These doors also function as the main entry doors as the garage is to the side in the back and this is a shorter path with heavy grocery bags. No basement and garage is a trek (so no outside kitchen storage).

About Us:

There 2 main cooks in the kitchen (my active but elderly mom and I) but DH is the cleaner-in-chief and also helps with prep. I have a young daughter who loves to help/watch me cook. Our parties are also often cook&eat together type casual affairs where I may have 2/3 people making salad, reheating, getting the food for the kids etc. I have a lot of family around who drop by. We cook vegetarian food - a lot of fresh produce, salads, pastas, and rice. I am an avid veggie gardener and have a vegetable patch and herb spot near the kitchen. Produce and fruit storage is a lot. We often have 5 varieties of fruit in the house and have 4 kinds of milk (2% for kid, FF for DH, Soy for me...

Comments (14)