SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwrede

Urgent! What to do about gap between coping and tile?

mwrede
14 years ago

They started laying our travertine coping yesterday using mud and there is a 3/8-1/2 gap between the coping stone and the waterline tile (the tile has a wavy edge that's not helping either). They said that was the smallest they could get it. I was freeaking out yesterday and now I have kind of come to accept it although I am pretty upset about it. Has this happened to anyone?

I not not knowing much had assumed that they could use a thinner layer of thinset but they said it would not work (we are also doing the patio in 1 1/4" travertine set in mortar over concrete).

What product have you used to fill that area? Is there such thing as a sanded caulking that looks like grout but is out of a tube? I would prefer it to match the ivory travertine. I read some things about deck-o-seal. Is that product appropriate even though it's not cantelivered coping?

Also what color/product of grout have you used to match the color of ivory travertine when set in mortar? Our mason like most in this area is not used to doing travertine (mostly flagstone/bluestone etc.) so he knows of darker color grout colors mixed with concrete.

I need to give them an answer asap and would appreciate any input.

Thanks so much!

Comments (6)