SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

Meeting with buyer's agent, what to expect

annkathryn
14 years ago

I have listed my house as "Make me an offer" on zillow. I received an email from an agent who said he often has buyers who would be interested in a house like mine and could we meet. I emailed him back and said that I wasn't interested in listing with anyone at this time, but that I would pay 2.5% to a buyer's agent.

We met the agent, he gave us a relatively un-pushy sales pitch, and said he might have a buyer. The sales pitch included the following:

If he listed the house and we agreed to use him on the purchase of our next house, he would list it with a 5% commission (split 2.5%/2.5% to buyer/seller agent).

If he had the listing and one of his partners brought in the buyer, he would drop his commission to 4% total (2%/2% split).

We didn't sign anything or agree to anything with this agent, although we said if he had a buyer, we'd be happy to show the house.

He has emailed to say he has a qualified buyer who would like to look at the house. He wants to meet us the day before.

I'm not in a rush to sell the house and in fact would prefer to wait a year. However, this seems to be a good time to sell in my area as interest rates are low and inventory is low. In addition, if I had a buyer now then I would avoid all of the staging, painting and minor repairs that I'm already planning to do. So, at the right price, I would agree to a sale. The "right price" is close to the amount a nearly-identical house to mine sold at in December.

My question is: what should I expect from this meeting? Will the agent press to be the listing agent as well as the buyer's agent? Would the 2.5% I'd already agreed to in writing be enough incentive for him to show the house? How do buyer's agents normally get paid by FSBO sellers? Is their percentage just written into the purchase contract?

I plan to run any contract by my attorney so I don't feel the need to hire an agent as well.

Thoughts?

Comments (21)