SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southerncanuck

Is it only me or is the use of this word offensive?

southerncanuck
11 years ago

I need to come over to this site for a chuckle now and then as well as listen to some normal people, not just home buffs.

On a recent thread on the plumbing site a homeowner asked a question under the heading " safety drain cover for public drain ". During a long post where the answer was obvious that person called their neighbours (please forgive me I'm quoting here) a retard. Then continued and referred to them as retarded. They used it twice, reviewed the post and entered it. Only one other poster was somewhat offended by that language and the original poster just shrugged it off. I wanted to scream.

Here in Canada that word is as offensive as that other word used to describe African North Americans. I'm actually outraged. Hey, I hate this political correctness going to far as much as the next person. Is it just us up here that find that description of a person with a disability offensive?

Comments (40)

• Toni S
    11 years ago

Retarded is a word that describes more than a person with a disability (downs I assume). So yea, IMO, its just you up there. I don't see the word itself as being offensive, just descriptive. Still, I understand your grief. You have to realize it's an opinion in this case.

OTOH, calling people names from behind a computer screen is cowardly. It doesn't usually help a disagreement and it distracts from the real item of debate. Plus plenty of people like yourself are touched by the Downs syndrome equation. IMO they may have mental retardation but they are gifted in other areas. I don't feel upset about it or the need to guard them. Most with downs, and esp those that are capable of conversation, they know what's going on and have a fair idea of what they want. I've also heard them dish out unflattering words. agh, so what. Love them anyway, even more.

• southerncanuck
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plus plenty of people like yourself are touched by the Downs syndrome equation.

Excuse me. Am I reading this correctly?

• Related Discussions

Stupid ( Possibly Hazardous to Me/ Offensive to You) Mistake?

Q

Comments (10)
    Well, an update and an obsevation. I had taken a break from setting the traps, since I do not like the task, but had to resume when the skunks began doing damage again. Last night, I caught two more. I awoke at dawn, performed the necessary unpleasantries, and they were carried away with the weekly trash by 6:30 a.m. . So far, in six total days of trapping in my small lot, I have eliminated seven skunks. I had also gotten a raccoon,but after it chattering all night and keeping us awake, right as the sky began showing light, its' partner figured out how to release it, much to our amazement. My observation is this: the animals are strongly attracted to the fish emulsion that I feed to my vegetables. I feed everything once per week, a bit of the garden nearly every day, and those were the areas being dug up. I had determined to only fertilize early of a morning, then thoroughly water in the evening to dissipate the scent. Alas, we went to bed early, I forgot to water my new plants set in that day, and the skunks scratched them to death before they were themselves trapped. I am hopeful that by careful attention to my applications of the fish emulsion, and watering in well, I can cut way back on the trapping/ euthanizing.
    ...See More

Password for only one folder in Word.

Q

Comments (2)
    Randy's way is the surest way but you can password protect a file in word. Click file > Save As and click Options. Near the bottom of the dialog box that opens up you will see the option you're looking for.
    ...See More

Pet peeve... the way some words are used

Q

Comments (273)
    I was also thinking about this thread after hearing the the News Quiz on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. One of the items on the News Quiz asked something to the effect of "This influential individual died 50 years ago this week", of course Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was the correct answer, but my objection was to the usage of "died". Yes, he died, but more importantly, he was murdered, nay, assassinated, and their use of "died" sounded beyond non-optimal, it sounded WRONG. This thread remains very thought provoking, and I appreciate everyone's musings.
    ...See More

Words one cannot use

Q

Comments (33)
    I wonder if that's how the term "dinking around" came to be. Because boaters spend an awful lot of time dinking around on their boats. I have used the word "dinky" and now I understand it more. I have seen a lot of those little boats, they look so fun! I took a similar boat out once at a lake park where you could rent sailboats. Not much wind, we were actually dinking around most of the afternoon!
    ...See More
  • ghoghunter
    11 years ago

I think it is horrible to use that word. There are plenty of other words to use when you are angry about something and yes I am offended when I hear it.
    Joann

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

When people use the word 'retard ', it's done as very pathetic bullying. I find it offensive and indicitive of the lowest type of ignorance. Perjoratives have no place in a public forum.

I'm perplexed by toni 's response, too. Maybe she'll explain.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

It is an offensive term here in the States too.

• hounds_x_two
    11 years ago

Offensive

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

I would consider it up there with the "n" word unless you are using it to describe someone with an undiagnosed developmental disability, and even then you'd have to be pretty careful how you used it.

• jannie
    11 years ago

Yes I'm offended. I'll use the word retard only to mean stop, like how do you retard rust from forming on metal.

• azzalea
    11 years ago

It's extremely offensive and inappropriate. I don't hear it used as an insult too much any more, but when I do, it makes me so very angry.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

The person who said it is ignorant and clueless. He or she needs to be enlightened. I would have had to respond to that.

• chisue
    11 years ago

I haven't heard it since our DS left grammar school. He's 42. I DO like 'case of arrested development'. It would seem to describe the poster who denigrates her neighbors -- but I haven't read the post.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Calling someone a Retard is very offensive and socially unacceptable. Saying someone is mentally retarded sounds very wrong, but maybe not quite as offensive. I'm not sure what the PC term is these days -- perhaps mentally challenged? special?

Sometimes I look back to my 1950's childhood and cringe at the terms we used. Of course, as small children we were just echoing what we heard and had no idea what the terms even meant, like eeny meeny miney moe, catch a ______ by the toe. Jeez, can you believe that even came out of our mouths??

Better to call the neighbors jerks. Personally, I call one of mine a-holes, but they are.

• ruthieg__tx
    11 years ago

It's actually offensive that you came over here and started an offensive thread...It's one of those subjects that usually gets people riled and better just left to the hot topics.

• Toni S
    11 years ago

I see calling someone retarded the same as the words stupid or idiot. Lots of words pop up. All equally childish. (see we agree!)
    I don't see my OR equate my 'downs' friends, as 'retards' , ever! So I was assuming because of your last sentence that you equated retard to them and was offended when someone used that word to describe others.
    I may not be so overly offended by the use of the word retard, or retarded, that doesn't mean I think its ok . It's just someones opinion and immature way of communicating. On the other hand if its that important to you to educate people , go for it. My pet peeve might be the use of the >f

• adellabedella_usa
    11 years ago

The word is pretty much considered offensive in daily use, but I do know of a child newly diagnosed as "mentally retarded" by a doctor a couple of years ago. Maybe it is still used as a medical term.

I'm tired of political correctness. The old words were created to be descriptive. IMO, the new words are just new ways to be descriptive. At some point in time, they will be determined to be offensive also.

• sjerin
    11 years ago

I truly think some uninformed people, (and their children,) don't understand that pejorative was used many years ago to compare someone to another with limited mental abilities. Dedtired, I remember using the word "gypped" all the time and never thought twice about it until decades later, as I was thinking of the origin of that word.

I see nothing wrong with starting such a thread. Since some seem to be unaware of how cruel such a word is, why not mention? Just because you hear the word used by people in your circle, does not make it just "another of those pc words that someone says we shouldn't use." Would you tease a mentally disabled person to his/her face?? If such a person or the parent of such a person were walking past you on the street as you used that word with your friend, do you think there would be no hurt feelings?

• kris_zone6
    11 years ago

I have a mentally challenged brother, so the use of the word is very offensive to me. Some of the younger generation use the word rather freely, but most of them do not equate it with a disability. I had to explain to my grandchildren why I consider it offensive and ask them not to use it. Once they knew why, they don't use it anymore (at least not in front of me).

• YogaLady1948
    11 years ago

My DD is a high school English teacher and she tells her students it is very offensive and is just the same as making a racial remark~~not allowed in her class or her presense. My 2 older grand kids use it alot when refering to each other and my DD lectures them 'every time'. She feels very strongly about it and I do not want to ever be with her in public if anyone says it she will tell them what's up!

• joyfulguy
    11 years ago

To refer to someone who doesn't actually have a mental or emotional handicap. but has merely done something that annoys one, is, in my opinion, improper ... and more than borderline offensive.

That implies that we look down on people who are actually having to cope with limited mental or emotional capabilities, rather than accepting them as they are, with some extra consideration due to the extra difficulties with which they have to cope, often not on just a short term basis, but possibly for life.

Somewhat more precision in use of language is preferable ... and it appears to me that often, the "f" word that was referred to earlier, is just another adjective that many people use, in almost any circumstance ... and, often, reiterated at several times a minute ... even, sometimes, more than once in the same sentence.

Yuck!

ole joyfulmprperly ... looks like a surplus of letters on this keyboard, what?

• themommy1
    11 years ago

I used that word once when I was 8 or 10. Mother sat me down and explained what words like that ment in the way I was useing it. Then my mouth was promptly washed out with soap, so I would rember the lesson, and I did. It was not a good choise of words for the person to use.

• breenthumb
    11 years ago

Good grief! Did you actually expect anyone to say it's fine, we use that word all the time down here?

I found your journal entry especially entertaining, considering this post.

• Lindsey_CA
    11 years ago

I'm curious as to why Toni seems to think that the word would only refer to someone with Down Syndrome ("Downs" is incorrect, by the way).

• nanny98
    11 years ago

I agree that the use of the word is usually hurtful, and I thought I was the only mom who believed that washing the mouth with soap was a 'cure' for such use. LOL

• bee0hio
    11 years ago

My dictionary even lists it as "offensive":

retard: noun : offensive
    a mentally handicapped person (often used as a general term of abuse).

I think Ole Joyful said it very well... that to use the word as a descriptive for someone to whom it doesn't apply (as a pejorative) implies that we look down on those with mental handicaps.

I don't think it has a thing to do with "political correctness" & IMO that term, itself, is thrown about too loosely by some who want or like the freedom to insult or marginalize others.

I remember an occasion years & years ago when a KTer defended her & her teenagers' use of the word retard.... caused a big WHOOP!

• lisa_fla
    11 years ago

There was an article about this in my newspaper just this week!

Here is a link that might be useful: article

• cynic
    11 years ago

The word has multiple meanings as do many words. I'm not offended by it. Frankly I've been called much worse by people on this forum! LOL And I'm much more offended by people who search for ways to be offended by every word in (or out of) the dictionary. And it's curious how the "n" word is not offensive when a black calls a black.

Too many people don't understand the difference between the terms "offensive" and "vulgar", "crude" (which too has multiple meanings) and otherwise. It demonstrates the exaggeration and hypersensitivity we seem to have to accept these days.

Since I don't know what term is universally socially acceptable these days for someone with a mental illness it's even difficult to explain something since we all know there's people lined up to take offense to anything said, but here goes anyway:

Most times I see the term "retard" used it's meant as an insult to someone who is not, in fact, "mentally retarded". I can't say that I've seen it used in forums and conversation to insult someone who actually is (with mental disease or other politically correct phrase). No different in reality than someone saying "move your fat butt" to someone who doesn't have a "fat butt" but the people with "fat butts" of course will be highly offended.

It's truly offensive that simple little words, innocuous words, an assemblage of letters causes such a ruckus amongst the thin-skinned. Perhaps we need to ban letters since that is actually the base of the offense. Although come to think of it, we are these days. People have become "ppl", daughters are now nothing more to their parents than a bra size and so on.

It's funny how many people spew the "mommy said if you can't say something nice..." who forget that mommy also said "sticks and stones"!

• Toni S
    11 years ago

Lindsey, reread my first sentence in the second post, three more times. What did I say? I used the word the poster used (disability )and in place of down syndrome (downs). I personally DON'T feel that way at all. The few downs friends I have are all special, just like anyone. In the medical sense the word does work but it's obvious here that it offends quite a few. And no I don't have the desire to tease anyone with the word or use it in the medical sense unless I would be talking to a fellow nurse. I was a nurse for several years until I decided to stay home with the kids. We did rarely have to use the word retarded but not in descibing a down syndrome child. It's pretty obvious they have a condition and for some they are past it even being a disability. People shouldn't feel sorry for them, but rather rejoice for them. Look for the good in a tough position.

• daisyinga
    11 years ago

Plus plenty of people like yourself are touched by the Downs syndrome equation.

If you read the original post Southern Canuck is referring to in the Plumbing forum, Southern Canuck mentions a connection to someone with Down Syndrome. I think that's probably what Toni meant by Southern Canuck being touched by the Down Syndrome equation.

• pekemom
    11 years ago

My grandson is autistic. Words like that are never used around here.

• amyfiddler
    11 years ago

Retarded means slowed. There was a time when that word described accurately without degredation.

there will come a time when today's term "challenged" or ID (intellectually delayed) or just "delayed" will be as offensive. People adjust to words and use them to describe things that are not up to average expectation, and eventually they get the same connotation - suggesting an insensitivity to someone born with a brain or body disorder that makes life more difficult.

It's offensive to many here. I am only bothered when a person is called a "retard" or "retarded." A situation being "retarded" doesn't bother me at all.

• sjerin
    11 years ago

Cynic, I think you misunderstand. Using this word may not be offensive to you, but it is highly offensive to those who suffer mental disabilities and their friends and relatives. Why ever would anyone use this term, knowing what sadness it can bring??

• rosemaryt
    11 years ago

I agree 100% with Amy Fiddler! In auto tech, we talk about "retarding the timing" and it just means SLOWING it down.

Personally, I find the term "Basket Case" distasteful.

No kidding.

By "The Great War" (WW1), we (the human race, that is) had figured out how to make munitions adequately powerful so that we could blow the arms and legs off of soldiers.

When a young man lost his limbs (legs and arms) from such bombs, he was literally carried off the battlefield in a wicker basket, and his mental state was a mess, hence the term, "Basket Case."

Today, when I hear that word, it makes me cringe inside.

But I keep it to myself.

• amyfiddler
    11 years ago

WOW I'd never heard that before about basket case - that's a term always used by family as long as I can remember. I'm quite sure no harm was meant to it, but maybe a guy with no arms or legs who knew the history would get upset.

The word "rit" in a music piece stands for "ritard" which means SLOW DOWN. I can't see music eliminating that word for PC - the intention is obviously not to harm children with downs syndrome.

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

Since rit is short for ritard which is short for ritardando -- which is an italian word -- and since it is a verb, not a noun, and since it is not spelled "retard," I don't think it is an issue.

• cheri2008
    11 years ago

I find it VERY offensive.... when ever I hear some one using this term, believe me I let them know how I feel...
    I was in a nail salon and a mother called her sweet little girl (about 6) a retard... simply because she did not hear her mother say it was time to go....unexcusable!!!

• cynic
    11 years ago

People even take offense to the word "handicapped" now. Again, those letters are far from offensive by themselves... and I've never seen "handicapable parking at the local Malwart but I imagine it'll come soon enough. Curious though, how contradictory it is for those people to then use a handicapped parking spot if they're so "capable"! The term "wheelchair" "offends" people too. I suppose someone will sue for using a wheelchair, er, "walkingly challenged transportation device" as the "handicapped" logo. Maybe we should have them crossing a finish line and getting a trophy for the logo.

Seems to me too many people are more concerned about being offended on someone else's behalf they lose sight of reality. Person "A" is psychologically at the point they don't know what's going on, so person "B" takes it upon themself to be "offended" on their behalf. Or better yet and more appropriate, Person "A" doesn't take offense to something so Person "B" steps forward. If it doesn't bother the purported "victim" seems strange that someone else has to manufacture offense to a few innocuous words. Guess if the fat person isn't going to be offended, then someone else has to stand up and be offended for them. Everyone needs a hobby I guess.

It's really getting past the point of silly.

• AnnaKay
    11 years ago

Whew... Deep breath... Okay, I've just retired a couple of months ago after working for years with people with disabilities, so maybe I'm overly sensitive here...

For anybody who wants the latest pc term, it would be "cognitively impaired." That's just FYI (unless they've got a new term already) and has nothing to do with the OP's post.

Yes, calling the neighbor a "retard" is crude, inappropriate, and beyond offensive. I'm sure they would've pronounced it with the accent on the first syllable. If that person were annoyed with the neighbor or the neighbor aggravated them in some way, there are all sorts of colorful epithets to use without denigrating a whole population of people who have enough to cope with already.

True, there is nothing wrong with the verb retard meaning to slow or delay. Accent is on the second syllable.

But in the context presented the usage is not acceptable.

• sjerin
    11 years ago

Cynic, so you see nothing wrong with using the word "retarded" as an epithet?

• cookie8
    11 years ago

I think if it is brought to your attention that is offensive to some, you should be able to reflect and decide if you use this term. I don't the word but it happened to me with other words. When I was an older teen, I referred to something as being "gay" and someone told me it was offensive, I took it in and stopped using it in the manner that I was. It also happened as an adult. My young son was walking and zipping and unzipping his jacket - over and over and over so I just started calling him "zipperhead". My BIL told me it was derogatory towards Asians. This, I had no idea of, I thought I made it up so that nickname was gone. I guess if one wants to use the word, whether or not it is offensive to others is a choice. I would think most would stop if they realized how it may affect/offend others.

• amyfiddler
    11 years ago

Interesting, about the syllable emphasis. I can't imagine myself ever saying REtard, that would be totally unacceptable. But I have many times said a situation was riTARDed.
    I think I will eliminate both as an option, it wouldn't cost me much and it looks like I might have more people show up to my birthday party lol.

I remember calling someone a DORK once and my mom freaked out. Evidently in her youth, that was a term for vibrator. Well, I ignored her panic attack.

Sometimes, you just have to be sensible.