SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ibuzzard

Stupid ( Possibly Hazardous to Me/ Offensive to You) Mistake?

ibuzzard
10 years ago

Trying not to be wasteful.

Yes, that is why I did what I did, and now I am hoping that my actions will not pose too much of a health risk to my family.

I have a skunk problem, and have been trapping them , then drowning them.

That is the part that some of you will no doubt find offensive, so be it. It is illegal to trap and relocate any wild animals, except on ones own property, here in California. The only other option is to euthanize them. State guidelines recommended using a gun, which I do not own, or CO2 which I am not familiar with, and would likely not do anyway.

That left drowning as the only method. If it's any consolation, though I know there must be some pain involved, I try to dispatch them quickly. When it comes to the garden and my food supply, I am not the least bit sentimental. I realize that some may be horrified, uh, sorry.

My concern is this: Am I at any appreciable risk of disease, since I poured the water in which I drowned them into the potato rows as irrigation water? You know, waste not, want not. The potatoes will not be dug up for about another month or so, so I am hoping my ignorance about the diseases that skunks potentially carry, will not cost me! There will be many hundreds of gallons of water applied between now and harvest time, so I hope that anything harmful will have been flushed away by future irrigation.

Now, lest you squeamish and outraged members tear me a new one, let me say this. Keeping in mind that farmers have always had to ruthlessly remove predators, not to mention cull runts, etc., and that drowning cannot be more painful than being run over by a vehicle, and that I have trapped/drowned 5 skunks in the last two nights, what I did was the right thing. Skunks are one of the main carriers of rabies in California, releasing elsewhere really can spread it far. Plus, you are dropping them in another's' territory,and they will be in trouble. I did consider it, frankly, because I do not relish the task, but ultimately elected to euthanize them .I need the food my garden supplies, and they were destroying a good chunk of it. They had to go.

So after this long-winded diatribe - What say you? Am I relatively safe, or am I at significant risk? If A I catch more tonight, should I water the grass with the water instead of the garden? Should I not eat those potatoes, or will just a good washing suffice?

Comments (10)