SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
running_in_nova

sellers are driving us nuts!

running_in_nova
17 years ago

I need to vent....

We made an offer on a 2BR/1BA condo in the DC area last Friday that has lots going for it... all except for the price.

The property has been stalled on the market for 120+ days at $309K. Latest comps from Dec '06 show a 2BR/2BA with a bit more sq footage in the same complex went for $290 + a $10K subsidy to the seller. So $280... Last year, stuff in this complex was selling in the $315-$320 range, but as we all know, the market isn't what it used to be.

Here's what transpired next:

Our initial offer: $285K - $5K for closing

Their counteroffer: $300 - $8K for closing - apparently they didn't mention in the listing that condo fees are increasing by 50% due to a special assessment. The $3K would effectively cover this fee for about 2 years, at which time this "special assessment" is supposed to revert back to a lower fee... hmmm....ok....

We were slightly annoyed that they hadn't mentioned that in the initial listing, since we would not have looked at a place with such high condo fees. But since they offered the $3K to cover it, we liked the place enough, and we felt like they wanted to work with us, we countered at $295K + $8K and told them it was our final offer, take it or leave it.

Well, I guess take it or leave it apparently means different things to different people, because they countered at $295K + $6500 for closing.

Maybe we shouldn't have been, but we were annoyed. It seemed a bit petty to subtract $1500 of the closing costs when they were the ones that offered it in the first place. We didn't want to budge, because we're already at the top of our budget, so DH and I said no, thanks, what we offered was our final offer and that's that. We figured they would come around eventually since they are losing money every month on an empty condo in this market.

Well, of course our realtors just couldn't imagine dumping the deal for a measly $1500 price difference, so our agent asked us if we would be willing to split that $1500 difference 4 ways with buyers, sellers, and the 2 agents all eating $375 of the cost. We agreed, hoping we could give notice on our current apartment before the 1st of the month.

Well, Feb 1st came and went and we did not give notice. Then their agent called saying they had agreed to accept the $375 4 way split offer with one additional condition - that we close at the end of February.

Well, in our initial contract we had said mid-March because our lender is very slow and it takes them 30-45 days to close. We know other companies can do it faster, but they can't. We won't use another lender because our credit union has great rates and zero fees.

We had our agent explain all of this to the other parties at the very beginning when we presented our initial offer. We said we would push our lender as much as we could to get it closed by the end of the month, but we couldn't make any promises. The sellers had agreed to the March closing date in both of their counter offers, so we didn't think it was an issue.

But I guess after conceding the $375, they felt entitled to another concession from us, so they wanted the closing date moved from mid-March to end of Feb, even though we already explained that this wouldn't be possible.

In the end, we refused to adjust the closing date to what they wanted, for fear they might try to keep our $5K deposit. We haven't heard anything since.

So because of two lousy weeks in March, we may completely lose the condo.

Is it just me or are these people completely crazy? Even if another buyer appeared tomorrow, by the time it took the two parties to negotiate a price, they wouldn't be able to close by Feb either. It really makes you wonder...

But really, is it just me? DH and I just feel so pinched by these sellers that we are just ready to move on.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Comments (13)