SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lhartnett

Driving myself nuts...what would you do?

L H
14 years ago

I've popped in and out of this forum over the past year and a half. I was going to go all out on a remodel = then the economy tanked, hubby lost job. I decided, well, lets just get doors and have them painted. I really didn't think that would satisfy me and ultimately be wasted money. Hubby's back to work and I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on cabinets. But I'm frugal by nature and just having such a hard time spending the money so I've searched for cabinet alternatives and I'm down to this. In total, I have 19 cabinets most in a U shape and 2 in an island.

1) JSI RTA Birch shaker - cost 7500

Pros:

- resonably priced

- good looking

- solid center panel

- carpenter will assemble and install and customize a couple cabinets for 1200.

Cons:

- not frameless

- RTA with cam locks (although many people have IKEA which uses cam locks so maybe this isn't an issue)

- Not sure about the quality of the finish - it's a color tone (whatever that means) not a stain.

- 30" wall plus cabs have a center stile. I only have one but it's for my dishes and that style is a pain.

2) Semi custom cherry U shape and painted island - cost 11k

Manufacturer is either Scherr's (RTA) or Glenwood (assembled and local)

Pros:

- frameless

- custom sizes so I could make upper doors all equal and symmetrical

- I THINK the finish would be superior to JSI

- I can get cherry and painted

Cons:

- for Scherrs so far away, how do I look at stains to decide if i want a stain on the cherry?

- $3500 more that could be spent on other things.

- would have to put the Scherr's together

What would you do? I keep asking myself, if I get JSI would I feel like I settled? I've seen Ikea kitchens in million dollar homes so what am I worried about? If I get the semi custom, will the thrill wear off and I'd have been just as happy with the JSI? Or will I look at them every day and feel great about the quality product?

Now Jewel - 1 has sent a link for Diamond and of course, I'll need to get a quote on those. I just need to STOP and order so I can move on with my life!

What would you do?

Here is a link that might be useful: JSI shaker cabinets

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH