SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bradw1_gw

b&s 3.5 classic driving me nuts

bradw1
13 years ago

Hello All,

engine 95902 3107 01 92011652

problem: will not fire. Also for no reason when I used it last week I suddenly lost throttle control. extremely slow throttle response going to absolutely no or extremely delayed response.

What I have done.

new plug, compression tested at 75 first pull cold. Second pull shot it up to 105 and it stayed there for the next few pulls.

rebuild carb, tried new carb. vane governor working fine. new spring for gov anyway with nothing. no binding. flywheel key fine. starter clutch fine. Timing set according to repair manual, first time @ .008 second time at the usual .010 and nothing. spark seems to be yellowish per 7 yr old daughter cant tell for sure as I have no one to look while I pull rope. spark might be a little weak perhaps but more than strong enough to ignite. (my humble opinion). new fuel, tank drained cleaned and washed out. still zippo. I do see gas shooting into carb and engine with both carbs.

I checked and rechecked and then I rechecked some more and dang if I know what problem is. Guess it might be time to take her out back and drop a few rounds in her.

Everything points to gov with sudden loss of throttle control followed by very delayed throttle response but everything seems fine. only have vane which moves freely, new spring does nothing and the little bar thingy is not bent, broke or and seems to be operating correctly. pulled valves and no problems. lapped and reinstalled with new head gasket and this did nothing either

Anyone have a clue? Im not the best out there but I am a stickler for following manuals, using oem parts and paying attention while having a blast but boys this one has me stumped.

thanks all

Comments (24)