SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thundar

17 HP B-S engine not running right

thundar
15 years ago

Model:42A707 Type: 1653-01 Code starts with 96 (year)

I have a problem with a Briggs & Stratton 17 HP engine.

I have put in a new carb overhaul kit. (The float was gunked up pretty bad, but now looks new, checked for leak or holes in it, found no indication that float is damaged.) Put carb back on engine. Engine runs, but poorly. It sounds like it's chugging, noticing black smoke out of exhaust especially at Idle.

I have also removed the heads, cleaned heads, cylinder, valves (Didn't notice anything wrong with valve seats).

Installed new head gaskets and replaced heads.

Is the adjustment needle on the carb an IDLE adjustment needle or a main needle? What is the initial setting?

The engine does have spark. Although one spark plug shows more of an orange spark rather than blue. Both plugs were damp from unburned fuel when I removed them. (They are old plugs.)

Engine running: It'll sit and run. I can drive the tractor. However when I slowly engage the mower blades (blades are new, bearings are good, belt is new) the engine dies, unless I quickly disengage the blades and apply full choke.

I put in new spark plugs last night, but no change in engine symptoms. Runs ok until I engage deck blades, then dies UNTIL I add choke and then it recovers. But have to run it nearly full choked. Makes no sense, normally an engine under load neads a leaner mixture, not richer.

Is that needle on the carb only an idle adjustment needle? I looked at a diagram on the briggs and stratton.com site for this engine, but the needle doesn't look quite the same. No needle lock was on this, like it shows in the briggs diagram.

I have now ordered a NEW ignition coil. Since the symptoms this engine has are very similar to others I have through here.

By the way. I got this beast a few months ago used and in several pieces. There is no model number at all on the tractor itself.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH