SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kssue

Huskee w/ B&S 12hp runs then dies...it's B-A-A-A-C-K.....

kssue
14 years ago

Hey all you lawn tractor forum pals, great to be back, well not really. Thought about taking up the thread from last year since it may be related but this I think is somewhat different and that thread was of encyclopedic proportions...to report on this mower's progress, did clean the carb again and got it running fine, hallelujah; finally hit the perfect size blade drive belt (discontinued part, not what the manual said it was, so had to experiment finding the right size) so we were in business. Actually started right up this spring, so prayed the annual Now What might skip a season. No such luck.

Now what (lol) is happening is that the mower will run and cut for maybe 10-15 minutes then sputters and dies when it gets hot. I know I have seen some posts with a similar set of symptoms, and at first had thought perhaps the battery was not holding a charge, and since it was 2 years old and had been thru some stress in the last couple seasons of starter/solenoid troubles, went ahead and replaced it. Still starts up without too much grief; runs for about 10-15 minutes, then when it sputters and dies I can't get it to turn over to start again until it cools down; acts like the starter just can't turn it over. It kind of engages then won't turn the engine, etc. So not sure if it is a fuel line problem, a starter problem, a charging problem, or WHAT... or God forbid all of the above.

BUT assuming it is not likely a charging prob since it starts up again after sitting to cool. Hubby thought it sounded like it was starved for fuel and so tweaked the fuel adjustment screw on carb bowl and it did run better, wasn't missing like it was. Thought ok, not freshest gas that was put in so drained and refilled; wondering if carb may have gotten gummed up with fuel that may have been sitting in it over the winter so probably going to give that a perfunctory cleaning next (I know, I know, drain and run the engine dry after last mow of the season...) But remembered all the sage advice out here and thought ok time to throw it out there again. Anyone who wants to review past thread on this mower's engine troubles/ remedies, has same title as this post without the "...It's Baaack..." added on. heh heh.

An engine-savvy friend thought it might just be old age, worn parts in the engine (I only described to him what it was doing), since it is 19 years old...then saw rcmoser's post on tractors dying young about the cooling fins so will check that as well. Covering the bases here.

It has done this a couple times so far this season and it seemed to run progressively shorter periods of time (which is what made me think the battery/charging system was to blame) but still doing the same thing with the new battery. Is that a possibility, perhaps that battery should be charged up more thoroughly?? Or that the alternator is not working right?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, guess my dinosaur is still craving its annual dose of TLC and curses. :D Thanks...

Comments (24)

Sponsored