SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grassmaster_gw

How long did your GOOD tractors last?

grassmaster
16 years ago

Well, we've heard good discussion on the other thread about folks' experience with CHEAP tractors, how about some information sharing on how long your GOOD tractors lasted, and how many hours a GOOD tractor can be expected to run?

Comments (51)

• sergeant
    16 years ago

Cub cadet original still going.
    1970 Cub Cadet 106 still going.
    1974 JD140H3 still going.
    Even though I not the original owner of any of them they are still working strong.

• blacksmithman
    16 years ago

My 1976 Dayton 16 HP GT (MTD 990 tractor) is still running so I added a loader this summer. I have added skid steer tires. I still need to make a bucket. If the tractor is well built and properly maintained it should last longer than youself.

{{gwi:313011}}

A picture when new.
    {{gwi:321967}}

Here is a picture of a grader blade I made for the tractor.
    {{gwi:314227}}

• Related Discussions

How long do your blooms last?

Q

Comments (6)
    Paul! It is So Good to see you posting. (How do your orchids???) Anyway, I'm pleased if I get 2 weeks. I currently have this thing where the umbels will open half the blooms, then store the rest for later! So, I get a month out of one umbel... But not really what you were looking for. None that I know of, is the answer I give you. Also, Buyer Beware with the people you are dealing with. If you get a healthy plant that you've been searching for, Bonus Points!!! Otherwise, mind your shipping and how the plant will benefit you, and buy accordingly. So Good to see you, Paul!
    ...See More

How long ago since your last date?

Q

Comments (3)
    Erica, I think they did...well, not all of them. One woman was married three times and the first two were bad, last one, she just didn't love him and I guess married for the wrong reasons. The others were married one time, for a long time and found out they were being cheated on. Had a lying cheating husband too but I guess I'm over it now because I'm willing to try again. Not that I have any prospects. In fact,the only men who even look at me anymore are my elderly patients. LOL! Bunnyman, at least you've gone out with the opposite sex! I haven't even done that.
    ...See More

How long did it take to sell your last home?

Q

Comments (33)
    We are in a rural area, one large employer in the county. Our neighborhood is desirable, and this has been a pretty Spring. Only 10 days from listing to ratified contract, full price, this week, yay! Part was luck: our local market had been slow since the downturn, so we gained an advantage from pent-up demand. And just recently, four homes in the neighborhood sold, providing a solid basis for pricing our home fairly. Part was standard preparation: we decluttered, cleaned, bought fresh kitchen towels and pretty shower curtains, and did some very minor repairs. Didn't go overboard with updates, other than a new medicine cabinet & light for the master bath, so some flooring and fixtures are obviously 90's vintage. I don't know if our floorplan helped or hurt -- our rooms are generously sized and flow well, but not "open concept" and no first-floor master suite. We had five showings. Two said no right away, two were non-committal. But the right buyer came along, they are truly looking forward to living here. Fingers crossed for a smooth closing.
    ...See More

What's your expectation of how long a mattress should last?

Q

Comments (28)
    We have a 20-year old Spring-Air twin mattress that my daughter still sleeps on. It's great. We have another 15-year old Spring-Air king-size that's still good as new. I bought a Sealy firm-memory foam, and it's still good as new, after 9 years. My mother-in-law also loved her very old Spring-Air mattress. I don't have much luck with Serta. I bought that brand new one time, and returned it to the store after 1-night of sleep ... it was really bumpy. My friend has Serta for a few years and she's NOT happy. I tried a bunch of Serta this weekend at Sam's Club .. NOT impressed. We bought a memory-foam topper at Sam's club for an old mattress in the basement, but we HATE it, too mushy, like sinking in mud. I'm shopping for a FIRM latex or foam topper .... spent hours looking at Amazon reviews but could not find any safe bets. Thanks for any recommendations.
    ...See More
  • grumpy01
    16 years ago

Mine is 11 years old (1996 model Cub Cadet 1440) and still going strong. I put a new mower deck on it recently because I didn't have enough sense to not mow wet grass and my old one rusted out. No work has ever been done on the tractor.

[IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/knife-city/mycub.jpg[/IMG]

• docspanky
    16 years ago

My 1978 36" Murray died last year........ Even with good oil, and no forewarning, the connecting rod somehow partially worked off the crank, and the ensuing imbalance somehow cause enough heat to effectively weld a portion of the rod back onto the crank. It sadly was not cost effective to replace the engine (so I guess had I been willing to pay the $800 for a new motor it would still be kicking). It was sold to a local guy who races lawnmowers, he wanted the rearend/transmission. Enter 1993 HUSKEE/Murray with God knows how many hours on it, and its only problems are that the seat plastic is all cracked up, and the needle came off the volt-meter.....

A well taken care of machine... even a cheap one can definantly be a GOOD ONE!

• ervie
    16 years ago

My 175 Deere just turned 17. Replaced the seat and put tubes
    in the front tires. Dealer added a relay to the starter. It still has its original blades and belts. The Kawasaki single burns no oil. It cuts an acre and my wife rides it daily pulling a large cart with her gardening stuff. We park it over
    the winter, using a walk-behind snowblower.

• butchs_hobby
    16 years ago

1966 MF10 still going, gave it to my oldest son 3-4 yrs ago, 1972 1450&1650 MF still useing both almost daily, 1977or8 1855MF still does what ever I need. I figure with good care they'll all outlast me! So I guess I can't answer your question, all my good tractors are still going strong.

• tmajor
    16 years ago

In the 40 years that I've owned lawn tractors, I've had two, plus the Z I bought last summer. A pre 1967 (bought it used in '67) 12hp/42" deck, Jacobson Chief until 1994, a 1994 Toro HMR 16hp/52" deck until this spring, when I sold it to a friend, and now the Woods MZ, 19hp/52" deck.

I never killed any of them, nor did they die, I just got tired of them. I sold both the Jacobson and Toro to the same friend, when I was ready to get rid of them.

I was going to trade the Toro on the Woods MZ, but my father had a little JD, which I traded instead. I hated the thing. The seat was over the rear wheels, which left the front light, so that it couldn't be steered on an uphill incline, it had the cowling around the engine, which would accumulate mouse nests and grass and then run hot, until you removed about 27 bolts to get it off. .. and the deck was a dinky little thing.

• stanleyjohn
    16 years ago

Good Thread! Nice to get a view point on the other side of the scale.I had a cub cadet 1315 (1990)which i got from my uncle about 4 years ago that ran great till i gave it away in may.Other than replacing the belts and one headlight!No real problems with that tractor.

• whs-gt14
    16 years ago

have 71 gt14 put a loader on it 4 yrs ago moved 200 tn of fill with it and still goin strong, and a 84 C195 w/ 1700 hrs and it runs like a top

• mbsl98
    16 years ago

I just sold a 1986 JD 165 hydro with 38" deck - had around 1400 hours, zero oil burning, fast starts, almost all original except for the deck spindles (which lasted about 1200 hours), starter solenoid (at about 1400)and one front tire (holed on a stump) - plus regular frequent preventive maintenance. Even seat was original with only one small crack in corner. Hydro started to slip a little (barely noticeable) a couple of years ago, but cured completely by its first fluid change. Still running and mowing like a champ.

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

Unless you know how many hour-meters hours are on it, the age of the tractor is pretty meaningless. You can't go by age alone. There's a lot of old tractors sitting in sheds that get hardly any usage.

• mith
    16 years ago

The 1968 WheelHorse Commando is still working fine, cut the lawn with it 2x a week.
    The 199? WheelHorse 312-8 (same as Deerslayer's, but much more abused...) works great, use it every day.

Oddly enough, the Commando, which is the oldest tractor I own, is the most reliable, much more reliable than any of the new stuff.

To me, almost any working machine I own is good. The broken ones are junk.

• tmajor
    16 years ago

I think, you can't go by "hours" either.

If the tractor did what you wanted it to do, maybe more, didn't fail, and lasted longer than you expected, it should be classified as "a good tractor".

• Searsman
    16 years ago

I cant answer this because My tractors are still going!

• kylawnguy
    16 years ago

I had a 12.5hp 40" cut Murry that ran for 10yrs and I was really ruff on it.

• greenhobby
    16 years ago

Here is my JD 185 Hydro. Mowed, hauled, snow blowed for 15 + years. That 17HP single was a beauty... -gh

{{gwi:338428}}

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

My Kubota is 5 years old and has almost 600 hours on it.

• curtludwig
    16 years ago

My '64 Cub Cadet 70 is waiting for me to work up the energy to finish mowing the lawn right now.
    I've also got a '67 Cub Cadet 72 thats got a replacement motor.
    Both will go pretty much forever because I'll keep after them. The 70 is going to get a quickie rebuild with new rings and a connecting rod this winter. Maybe... I put a new plug in today and now it starts so easy its hard to tell.

• grassmaster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The best one I know of is a little Montgomery Wards riding lawn mower my granddad had when I was a kid. It was powered by a 4 HP (yes-Four HP!) Briggs and Stratton engine and had about a 26" cut. It had a forward/neutral/reverse transmission with a chain drive to the differential rear end. A handlebar set up did the steering. There were some 2" wide hard tires up front, and some 4" wide knobbies in back. The whole design was very much like a large push mower with a seat over the engine! What was REALLY AMAZING about this whole set-up was that granddad had about 3.5 acres of lawn to mow, and he mowed that lawn all year, every year from when he purchased the Montgomery Wards rider new in 1959 until he retired it in 1979. THE LITTLE THING MOWED ITS NUTS OFF FOR 20 YEARS!!! I estimate that it had about 1600 hours on it! (4 hrs x 20 weeks x 20 years) The engine burned very little oil, and it started right up with no more than two pulls of the recoil start. He had replaced the drive belt a couple of times, and the blade twice. Also, the muffler rusted through and needed replacing, as did one rear tire that rotted.

The MW rider was replaced with a HUGE 6-HP SEARS rear engine rider, and Granddad and I took the blade off the old MW rider and put a new muffler on it. In retirement, it became a puller of two Radio Flyer red wagons for the younger grandkids to ride around on sunday afternoon for another 8 years.

Granddad was kind of a cheapskate old German. He went to his grave never owning a mower with electric start or headlights.

I wish I had bought some of Granddad's old equipment at the estate sale. I would have bought the old MW wards rider and restored it. Also, his Super C International tractor that I learned to drive on (and then cut and baled a bunch of hay with). He also had a '73 International pickup (his first new truck) that had less than 50k miles on it when he died.

They don't build 'em like they used to, either OPE or Granddads!

• greenhobby
    16 years ago

Mowed its nuts off... LOL!!! Great line...

• lb59
    16 years ago

40 & 41 Years.and both still going.
    I've never had one wear out.
    I did have a 1995 WARDS MTD Powr Kraft that was shot from the start ! ! ! ! It must not have been one of my good ones:
    But the other 4 are still going strong.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:312973}}

• lb59
    16 years ago

grassmaster 5b MO
    What do you mean How long did it last?
    You can't wear the good ones out!
    That's the difference between them and the cheap ones.

• lb59
    16 years ago

I bought 4 good ones and 1 cheap one.
    The cheap one quit on me and never was rite always having problems.
    The other 4 are still going good ;2 of them after 40 and 41 years.

There ya have it 4 out of five I'm convinced!

Over 40 years of experience ought to tell you something.!.!

• lb59
    16 years ago

I guess I can't answer your question, all my good tractors are still going strong.
    Posted by butchs_hobby
    So are all 4 of mine so I can't answer it either.
    The only one that died is the Cheap MTD one.

• lb59
    16 years ago

Posted by docspanky (My Page) on Thu, Jul 12, 07 at 20:52
    My 1978 36" Murray died last year........

Posted by kylawnguy (My Page) on Sat, Jul 14, 07 at 9:16
    I had a 12.5hp 40" cut Murry that ran 4 10 yrs

```````````````````````````''''''''''''''
    What's these cheap tractors doin in a good tractor thread ?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:312968}}

• docspanky
    16 years ago

I just knew civil conversation couldn't last here without someone as famous as lb59 is for inciting riots, coming along and throwing sand into the engine of a pleasant conversation.

• metal
    16 years ago

Do you think forums like this will have discussions 40 years from now about how they just don't build them like the old LA series anymore? I wonder if there was talk 40 years ago about how they just don't build them like they used to? Oh, the good ole' days (my Dad, who grew up during the Depression, doesn't remember them as being that great).

• lb59
    16 years ago

Posted by docspanky (My Page) on Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 2:35

I just knew civil conversation couldn't last here without someone as famous as lb59 is for inciting riots, coming along and throwing sand into the engine of a pleasant conversation
    ------------------------------------------
    I was just pointing out that I don't believe this thread was meant to be about BOX Store Tractors.

• docspanky
    16 years ago

And I am just pointing out that you seem to be a hemorrhoid on these forums.

The post asks about good tractors.... nowhere does it infer or request only information about (insert tractor name here). The original sales receipt on the Murray was from Chilton Air cooled engines.... an authorized Murray Dealer. The Huskee may have come from a small box store, TSC, but again, nowhere does anything in the initial post say "tell us about your non-boxstore good tractor" Correct me if I'm wrong, cause from what I can see, this is a thread requesting our opinion on what we believe to be a GOOD tractor.

Have a nice and pleasant day;-)

• lb59
    16 years ago

How long did your GOOD tractors last?
    Posted by grassmaster 5b MO
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    For the purpose /intent of this subjet which tractors are the good ones and what ones are the cheap ones?

• stanleyjohn
    16 years ago

If anyone remembers the Doors and Jim Morrison that is what lb59 seems to like to do.Light a fire!(get a crowd going and see what happens).

• stanleyjohn
    16 years ago

Hey lb59!I was just using alittle humor on that last statement i made! please dont take offense.You and i were both born on nov 29. Thumbs up fellow Sagittarius

• lb59
    16 years ago

Posted by stanleyjohn
    You and i were both born on nov 29. Thumbs up fellow Sagittarius
    =================
    Well Happy Birthday 4 Months early.

• bluegoose
    16 years ago

I have a couple of early 1960's Gravely tractors that are still going strong. And "newby" 1968 and 1972 Gravely's that continue to perform rather well.

• machiem
    16 years ago

from lb59:

I did have a 1995 WARDS MTD Powr Kraft that was shot from the start ! ! ! ! It must not have been one of my good ones:

So you put AG tires on a tractor that doesn't seem to work and it appears you don't own anymore? When you say "did have" and "must not have been" it means past tense.

Everytime you post, you contradict yourself.

And what's with the random pictures of cars and the bridge?

• mownie
    16 years ago

Please don't pretend any longer.......get some help. And take a triple dose of laxative.

• ccfond
    16 years ago

1973 Wheel Horse Raider 12. No hour meter on it but it is still all original except for exhaust.
    Showing no signs of slowing down. A little fading on the paint but no rust. It will outmuscle most 20+ current hp models. Wish I had a picture for you.

I have another mid 80's model with 700 hrs on it that would look showroom with a bath.

Simply great tractors!

• lb59
    16 years ago

So you put AG tires on a tractor that doesn't seem to work and it appears you don't own anymore?
    1* When you say "did have" and "must not have been" it means past tense.
    2* And what's with the random pictures of cars and the bridge?
    Posted by machiem
    1*Past or present. The PK wasn't /isn't good.
    And yes it had/has AGs on the front.
    2*If you don't like em don't look at em, but at least let others look without mouthing off.

• machiem
    16 years ago

Do you still have it?

Here's my random picture that maybe others want to look at.

{{gwi:338430}}

• joseph_grower
    16 years ago

Our 1968-73(two)-74 Economy Power King tractors are running fine.

• bigballer
    16 years ago

Decided to add my two cents. Paid 900.00 for a MTD Lowes 12.5 B&S I/C 600 series in 1988. Still running good. Not using oil, deck & front end quite beat up but still cuts good.Only minor expenses for starter,rear end gear and routine maintenance over this time. Cut approx. .75 acre of my own weekly and assist my brother with dads property 2x monthly (1.75 acre).Plan to redo front end soon. Bought a JD X300 on 8/2/07. Hope this is as reliable.

• lb59
    16 years ago

Which tractors are the good ones and what ones are the bad ones?

• nomochevys
    16 years ago

Mine lasted 33 years. Its a 1966 Simplicity 707 with a 8 hp briggs engine. It would and could have gone further but I replaced it with a new broadmoore. This tractor went through 4 engines and the last one was on its last leg. It has been in my family since it was new and has had the snot run out of it.

I still have it with hopes to restore it some day. We have a 69 cub 106 in our family also. That thing is a tank but my heart is with the simplicity. The sad thing is that now I cant find a replacement engine for the simplicity. Nobody makes one it seems.

I like the older cubs but I love the older simplicity mowers. My new mower doesnt cut a bit better but I will admit that it does it much faster. I wish I could put a vanguard on the old girl. It would make it near bullet proof.

• quantico
    16 years ago

My sunstars are still going strong, they are 1986 and 1988 . my 6500 series simplicity is about the same vintage. I have an allis chalmers from 81 and a deutz allis that both need engine overhauls, but the rest is working pretty well. These old machines still are better made than anything you can buy today in my opinion.

• mailman22
    16 years ago

Mine has 50 hours on it. If this thread is alive in 20 years, I will give an update! ;)
    {{gwi:315276}}

• ridonkulus
    16 years ago

mailman, i noticed your wheel horse engine and hood are different from the typical tractor set up. tall and narrow. is the engine set vertically? looks good that way.

what year is your tractor and did you buy it knew? wondering if they still sell one like yours new.

• ridonkulus
    16 years ago

saw the wheelhorse on the toro website. quite pricey, but nice looking tractor.

• mcconoughey
    16 years ago

We have owned our 1970 Gilson since 1980 when we bought it from another family member. It is still running strong. It has just over 1000 hours on the second engine (16 HP Briggs cast-iron one upright cylinder engine). I know the hours because I installed an hour meter when I put the new engine in. The previous owners ran the engine with no air filter and few oil changes. The engine still operates as new due to frequent oil changes, careful air filter maintenance, and an after-market oil filter. I use Mobil synthetic oil.

The tractor operates great and mows well. It is my wife's favorite machine. In fairness, it has had a lot of maintenance over the years and our Kubota does more mowing with more reliability. We've repainted the Gilson, upgraded the mowing deck bearings, welded frame cracks one time, replaced steering parts, etc. It is a fun machine to drive.

• ridonkulus
    16 years ago

mine has 3 hours and still going strong.

• juggler
    16 years ago

I dunno how long my GOOD tractor lasted. It's 43 years old and not worn out yet.

BTW, everybody *knows* you can only push 6" of snow! BWAA HAAA HAAA!

{{gwi:338432}}

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions