SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joesparkie_gw

tsc huskee 12/39 electrical/engine question

joesparkie
14 years ago

a little background, i was given a tsc huskee lawn tractor model #b3912230 by my dad. he told me it ran, but he robbed the starter solenoid out to fix another tractor. it was a jubble of wires with no wiring diagram when i got it. after installing a new solenoid and battery and considerable time i think i have the electrical system working properly. of course, the engine would not turn over. after troubleshooting i thought i had narrowed it down to the starter, so i bought a new starter and installed. lo and behold, that wasn't it.

here's my problem, when i turn the key to run/lights, the lights come on. when i turn it to run i still have 12v everywhere i think it should be. when it try to start it, initially the solenoid clicks but the starter does not engage the flywheel. any subsquent tries to start result in nothing. no lights, no click of the solenoid. i still have 12v at the battery and at 1 side of the large post on the solenoid. i'm assuming it has shorted out somewhere?

now, there is a wire that runs from the ignition switch, behind the starter and into the motor. when i disconnect that wire, the lights' work and when i try to start it the starter will engage the flywheel. so i know the solenoid is good and the starter is good. i have not tried to start it without the wire connected i have just 'bumped' it. a couple questions, 1, what does this wire go to? and 2, will it hurt to start and run the engine without this connected?

i would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give me. i'm a very amatuer mechanic and dad is worse than me. i have no trouble taking stuff apart and replacing parts but really struggle on the troubleshooting. i have looked up the engine model # online but cannot find what this wire would go to. sorry for the long, rambling post. i was just trying to give as much information as possible to a real mechanic. thanks again!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals
More Discussions