SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marineguy_gw

John Deere 111H winter project, fuel pump question

marineguy
16 years ago

Well I finally found a good cheap mower for my ailing father-in-law, a well-used, not abused, John Deere 111H. It has a Briggs and Stratton 11hp L-head engine; a hand-operated Peerless hydrostatic, and a two-blade 38" deck. It's in good shape, good enough for a gift.

It runs good, not great. I replaced the bowl gasket in the carb to stop a fuel leak from stinking up my shed, and tuned the carb up, but it still runs kind of funny. I was told by a guy I know who works on small engines that the pump they replaced it with (standard diaphram type) is for larger 18+ hp engines, and even though the mixture is adjusted correctly, that might be causing the less than smooth idle at full throttle (which goes away when the engine has a load on it).

I need to get a new spark plug on it and probably pull and clean the head. The spindles could use some new bearings (the deck has that coffee can full of nuts and bolts sound to it). And the transaxle linkage could use a slight adjustment (mashing the brake sends it slightly into reverse). It actually surprised me that the brake stops the hydro on this model, unlike my GT series where the brake has to fight the hydro if the "cruise" control is forward. Any idea what the 111H sold for new in the late 80s?

All in all, it's a real solid tractor, for $300.

Comments (10)

Sponsored