SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shescomeunstrung

Lighting decision driving me nuts, help!

J M
12 years ago

We are mid-remodel and it's time for me to make some lighting decisions I've been putting off before our electrical permit runs out (eek). Just a little background -- 1919 house, existing kitchen was unfortunately a complete disaster when we bought the house so we gutted it, enlarged it, and aside from plumbing, electrical, and counters, are totally DIYing it. Thank goodness for this forum, where I have been largely a lurker, absorbing all the amazing info and wisdom! Right now I have analysis paralysis, bad, so I could use some help.

Here's where we're at, lighting wise. Excuse the not picture-perfectness of these shots, I know you all know what it's like to be "in progress":

We will have a total of seven ceiling fixtures in this room. The main center light will have a real island under it eventually, not the placeholder card table that's there now. The fixture is from Rejuvenation and has a burnished antique brass finish and satin opal shade (v. similar to the few original fixtures left in the house). What I need now is to coordinate lighting fixtures for the rest of the locations. There are four that are symmetrically arranged around the center (you can see three of those pictured here). There's one over the sink (which is just on the other side of the half wall), and there's one in the soffit just beyond the cabs on the stove side (doorway to LR). Originally I was going to do a pendant over the sink, but have realized it will not look right from the dining room and would compete with the center fixture as well as my DR chandelier. So boo hoo, no pendant for me. :(

Here's a closer pic of the center fixture:

Hubby wants to use this Rejuvenation fixture for all the locations:

This fixture would be 7" diameter, 9 3/4" in height. We'd have a total of six of them (ch-ching, yikes). The shade coordinates with the center shade. I worry that it would be too busy in this medium-sized kitchen to have six of these (plus two ceiling speakers which are pretty unobtrusive but still visible), and too matchy-matchy to the center fixture.

I used Rejuvenation's view-in-a-room tool to mock up this example to show the relative size of the fixtures:

Fearing having a "wow-look-at-all-those-fixtures" kitchen, I've been thinking about doing something simpler. I've looked at HUNDREDS of fixtures, though, and just can't find many that I think will work. I don't feel confident about mixing very different shade finishes, trying to coordinate metal finish, etc. Plus so many basic flushmounts are uuuuuggglllyyyyyy! About the only fixture I've seen that I like that I think might work (and is affordable) is this RH fixture, which comes in three sizes, so I could go with a slightly bigger one over the sink -- I'd get it in oil-rubbed bronze (my cab hardware is ORB):

I hear though that these are not very bright fixtures (smallest takes 2 40W bulbs, medium takes 2 60W, large takes 3 40W). The Rejuvenation fixtures hubby likes take a single 100W bulb each. The center fixture in the room takes 4 100W bulbs (though I think I have 4 75W equivalent CFLs in there now). I don't feel like we need a ton more light in the room -- the existing fixture plus ambient light from the dining room does a pretty good job, we could just use a boost over the counters and sink. We're still undecided on needing under cab lighting, so that's possibly in the mix too.

I've also considered putting one of the matchy Rejuvenation lights over the sink but keeping all the others plain-ish.

AUGH! I don't know if I'm overthinking this or what. Do you think the RH Turner lights could play well with everything else going on here? Am I the only one who thinks the matchy Rejuvenation lights would be too much? Should I have gone with recessed lights after all? (It would have been so much simpler but I don't like them.) Any other ideas? Help!

Comments (16)