SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

should I replace my PB kitchen table with a vintage Stickley?

jjam
14 years ago

Hi all; would love advice. Here's my current table: (with some Easter brunch goodies)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I know, I know, what I have looks great. But.....

my first choice when I was looking for a new table a few years ago was a drop leaf with leaves, so that DH and I could eat at a small table most of the time, but still have a large one for family gatherings. I also thought that when we downsize, a small table that could get condo-sized could be a good thing. Alas, I never could find one that had enough leaves and was sturdy enough in the antique stores. So I bought the PB table on CL and was very happy with it. Then, fast forward to this past weekend, and I came across a vintage Stickley set that has a drop leaf table. I love the versatility of the size(s) as it can be a cozy table for two or large enough to seat 8 comfortably. These photos aren't great but hopefully you get the idea:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The Stickley set comes with four chairs as pictured. I'd probably use the Windsors that I have and keep the Stickley chairs as extras. It is beautifully made, solid cherry and the wood is in wonderful condition. It comes with three leaves (shown under the table in a box) and is probably a mid century item.

So should I go for the versatile seating? Or keep what I have?? I do like my current table, and I know it fits the style of my kitchen very well. I'm drawn to the Stickley because it's older and has such beautiful cherry, but on the other hand, what I have is fine 95% of the time.

Have any of you had a drop leaf table? Did you like it??

I've got the set on hold; must let them know tomorrow! What to do??? Price is fair for the set but not a "steal" by any means.

Comments (15)