SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
komeht_gw

How to price when comps don't tell the whole story

Komeht
11 years ago

OK - not to be immodest - but my DW and I have impeccable taste, not only in home selection, but in finish out and the furniture (If I were to describe our style it would be current and forward without being trendy - somewhat timeless without being traditional at all, if that makes sense). We don't have kids, and we spend our money fixing up our pride and joys. We have typically had smaller SF detached older very well cared for bungalows in central neighborhoods very close to downtown that have fared well compared to general market.

Here's the issue - each time we've sold, we have looked for the very top realtor's in our area, interviewed at least 3 before selecting and examined all comps. In each case we felt the comps were never quite right. In each case we priced aggressively ahead of the comps. And In each case we still received multiple offers in first week and sold for over asking. Our last two homes sold after being on the market for only a day or two.

So, if we do this again. . .how do we really price things? Once again we are in a somewhat unique (and I think highly desirable) home for the area and I fear again that if and when we go to sell the comps won't accurately capture the true market value. So without comparable comps - what's the best way to price?

Comments (20)