SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitykat44

When is a comp, NOT a comp?

kitykat
11 years ago

In this modest neighborhood of 60 year old 'starter homes', only a few houses have sold in the past couple of years. For the most part, these were either foreclosures or homes that were not kept up and updated. So many of the nicer homes have long time owner/occupants and little turnover. Additionally, this neighborhood is priced a bit below the metro area (Kansas) average in the best of times.

When an appraiser comes up with comps, for a lender, are there statistics, other than actual recent sale amounts, to truly compare homes? For example, a house with original kitchen/bath vs one with remodeled rooms. Or quality replacement windows vs rotting wood single pane and aluminum storms. Or a large brick patio vs 10x10 cracked and weathered concrete. Or a green, trimmed lawn and nice landscaping vs a mostly dead weedy patch of vegetation.

I have closely followed listings and examined photos for the last few years, and frankly, there is little to compare. My home will be listed this spring, and I wonder how to achieve a true appraisal value? Please help!

Comments (14)