SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwelding

From Buyer's Perspective - Pocket Listing and Comps

jwelding
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello, fellow posters. My buyer's agent (with whom I also plan to work when I list my house - it's not quite ready) just showed me one of her listings that is not yet on the MLS. The sellers are older and looking to get into a retirement community. They have some mobility issues (one's got a walker and the other just broke her knee), so they aren't really able to leave during showings (they were there the couple of times I saw the property last week). For that reason, a quick sale with little disruption would benefit them (perhaps more than the typical seller).

I do like the house. It's a 200 y/o farmhouse in an area in southeastern PA that is fairly affluent and in a good school district (one of the best in the state), although I only care about that for resale reasons - I don't have kids. It's on 1.3 acres off a fairly busy road. The couple has lived there for 25 years and seem to have maintained systems fairly well (5 year old roof), new furnace, central air (but condenser unit is old). It's got all the charm that comes with an older home - big fireplaces, wide-plank floors, deep sills, lots of built ins. The kitchen and bathrooms have been updated in the last 15 years or so (not all to my taste and could use some upgrades but that doesn't scare me off).

But - it's only 2 BR, which is okay with me, but might hurt from a resale perspective. None of the updates (kitchen, bath) are wows - e.g., vinyl tile floor in kitchen, corian counter tops, black appliances. Stuff I'd want to upgrade, although not immediately. The stuff I would want to change immediately, include ripping up the w/w maroon carpet in the lower level great room and hall, and taking down flowery wallpaper in the lower level and guest bathrooms. And paint - most, if not all, of the rooms.

My realtor told me that she talked the sellers out of listing for $550K, and instead they're going to list for $525K. I think that's high because of the number of bedrooms. A 4 BR 3 BA house in the same neighborhood on 1 acre (albeit without the charm of the historic house) sold in November for $570K.

I'm looking for feedback on the following:

(1) what pros/cons are there to making an offer on this when it's a "pocket" listing? An obvious con is that my agent is working for the sellers, not necessarily for me (although she has shared with me that I should ask for an appraisal contingency and home warranty). My agent has worked with a number of friends/acquaintances who have raved about her and, so far in my search (which started late last summer) she has offered a lot of good advice (much better than the buyer's agent I used 10 years ago when buying my current house). Is there a pro (other than I would "beat out" other potential buyers)? My thinking is that with a property like this one - 2 BR historic on big lot - it might sit on the market for awhile, waiting for a specific buyer.

(2) If I make an offer before it's listed on the MLS, should I start from the premise that the "list price" is really 3% lower than the listing?

I can include some pictures if that helps :)
Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

Comments (5)