SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notrafficinga

Calling Atlanta Agents: How's the Market These Days

notrafficinga
16 years ago

This may be kinda long (sorry)

I am ready to prepare my house in East Cobb/Marietta (30066) for listing in March. It has good and bad points, but it would make an excellent starter home or rental property. I am not living there at the time, my Mother is staying there while they build. They move out in February, so clutter shouldn't be a problem.

The good:

Lassiter/Mabry/Rocky Mount schools, all of which are excellent. It is on the inexpensive end of the price range for Mabry Middle. It is on 1/2 acre wooded lot, has a screened porch and fenced yard.

Four beds and 2.5 baths. Kitchen was upgraded about 7 years ago. It has hardwoods throughout both floors. I am willing to leave all appliances including fridge/washer/dryer.

The not as good:

It backs up to a thru street with light traffic.

It needs some minor maintenance that I am willing to do (of course) to sell. I plan to paint downstairs in neutrals to brighten it up inside regardless of any other fixes.

In addition to the minor stuff, the master shower needs replacing. That is the most urgent repair. I tore it out to upgrade about 1.5 years ago and ran into trouble with with walls behind the tile. They were crumbling because the builder used sheetrock. I stopped there and just started using the guest bath for awhile. It now needs to be addressed. It is a shower only, no tub. For a starter/rental, do I re-tile, put in corian panels, or an acrylic shell?

The other major job is the rear siding is "spongy" in places? How big a deal is replacing this stuff? I also need to paint, of course.

The front yard is a bust, and we can't water our lawns in Atlanta during the drought. It will just have to be dead.

I am at the mercy of market forces right now. Is this area trending down or is East Cobb still relatively stable? Part of our problem has been indecision in what we wanted to do with the place. If we had stayed, we would do differently. If the market is still decent, I am in pretty good shape. If not, I have to get creative, I suppose. The equity in the house is fairly good, but not unlimited.

I suppose the most important question is, what kind of marketing should I be looking for when I shop agents?

Comments (4)