SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
logic_gw

No. 2 bank overcharged troops on mortgages

logic
13 years ago

For those who like to pretend that this does not happen to those who don't "deserve it"....

The banks only admit to the wrongdoing when they get caught...how many go without being caught, due to the homeowners inability to pay an attorney to fight it?

No. 2 bank overcharged troops on mortgages

NBC News exclusive: JPMorgan Chase also improperly foreclosed on homes

Excerpt:

"A Chase official told NBC News that some 4,000 troops may have been overcharged. What's more, the bank discovered it improperly foreclosed on the homes of 14 military families....

......The overcharges may never have come to light but for Rowles, 31, and his wife, Julia.

"It's been a nightmare. It's been my living nightmare," Julia Rowles said of her experience with Chase, in an interview with NBC News in Beaufort, S.C....

.....The saga began in 2006 when Rowles went on active duty. Under the SCRA, he could get his mortgage interest rate, which was adjustable and rising, lowered to 6 percent.

But Chase took a few months to lower Rowles' rate, overcharging the family, Rowles says, by as much as $900 a month. In the fall of 2006, Chase finally began charging Rowles the correct 6 percent rate. For the next year or so, everything went relatively smoothly.

Then, two years ago, the Rowles family says, Chase began hitting them with collection calls that escalated to sometimes three a day, claiming they owed as much as $15,000.

"Saturday, Sundays, middle of the night. It did not matter if it was a holiday," Julia said. "Collection calls at 3 in the morning. He would state, "I'm in California. I'm stationed here in Miramar. It's 3 in the morning. What are you doing calling me?" "Well, sir, this is an attempt to collect a debt."

She said they threatened to take the house and report the family to a credit agency, even though the Rowles family didn't owe the bank anything and never missed a payment.

The Rowles' records show that while they kept making payments on their mortgage at 6 percent, the bank wrongly had been charging them at rates above 9 or 10 percent. They kept calling the bank to explain there had been a huge mistake but say no one would listen. They say they kept being harassed for money they did not owe..."

Here is a link that might be useful: No. 2 bank overcharged troops on mortgages

Comments (13)